Neck Divot Repairs 750XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Divot Repairs 750XL

I have a post in the inport charvel forum regarding the 750XL project I recently acquired. There is a link to some pics in that post.

There are some fingerboard divots and I was wondering if anyone has any comments on the playability and reliability on the sanding dust fill method?

Also how much can be sanded or planed off of a fingerboard?

And finally will the compound radius boards that Stew-Mac sells for Fenders work on this guitar?
    1989 Magenta Charvel 650XL (Now my main guitar) , 1989 White Charvel 650XL, 1989 Trans Amber 750 XL, 1989 Cherry Sunburst 750XL Abortion,1990 Jackson soloist ATT pro Trans Red, 1993 Jackson Dinky Std Black with pick guard , 1992 Jackson Stealth Ex repainted, 1994 JDR-94, 1994 JDR-94, 1995 DR3 (Old Main Guitar) trans purple quilted maple picture , 2002 RR5 white and gold, 1988 Model 4 cobalt blue, 1993 Jackson Fusion Std black, 1990's Alvarez Fusion acoustic electric cutaway, 2009 Alvarez AD60ck Koa acoustic electric cutaway. Crate BV-150 Heads, SKB PS55 pedal Board, Shure wireless

Didn’t see the pics, but it seems that RobRR has pretty much covered these questions for you in your thread. However, I wouldn’t try filling playing divots in a fretboard with dust and glue. Filling little chips with that method is one thing; filling a divot that way is another. It’ll probably be very obvious. As far as planing down a fingerboard goes, you may run into neck angle and issues if you take a bunch of the board off. Usually, boards are about ¼” thick. Yes, those fretboards from stewmac will work, provided it’s the same scale length.

All of of that aside, it sounds like more work than it’s worth.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

You can try fixing those divots by steaming with wet rag and an iron. Be extra careful with the inlays. Sand dust and glue will just make things worse.

Comment

My guy thinks a board leveling would work fine?

Kisonen- please explain if you dont mind
        1989 Magenta Charvel 650XL (Now my main guitar) , 1989 White Charvel 650XL, 1989 Trans Amber 750 XL, 1989 Cherry Sunburst 750XL Abortion,1990 Jackson soloist ATT pro Trans Red, 1993 Jackson Dinky Std Black with pick guard , 1992 Jackson Stealth Ex repainted, 1994 JDR-94, 1994 JDR-94, 1995 DR3 (Old Main Guitar) trans purple quilted maple picture , 2002 RR5 white and gold, 1988 Model 4 cobalt blue, 1993 Jackson Fusion Std black, 1990's Alvarez Fusion acoustic electric cutaway, 2009 Alvarez AD60ck Koa acoustic electric cutaway. Crate BV-150 Heads, SKB PS55 pedal Board, Shure wireless

Comment

What Kisonen is referring to is taking a damp rag and an iron (I'd use a soldering iron for this type of application) and getting steam into the wood. This can help swell compacted wood fibers and help raise the divots. Worth a shot, for sure.

And leveling the board far enough so that it's flat again may take your inlays away.
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully is correct. You can also use normal iron for ironing clothes for the job. Soldering iron gets hotter so it quicker. There are some videos on youtube you can look up.

Comment

I'm gonna try the steaming trick on an Ovation I just got as it has some divots like yours. Let us know what you wind up doing it and how it comes out.
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
              X