Swirl painting a neck thru guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swirl painting a neck thru guitar

Okay, so there's videos floating around the net of people using a water technique where you float dyes or paints on water, use a dropper to push the paint around making a psychedelic swirl design, then carefully dipping the guitar in the water. Once it has been dipped in said water, someone uses a wad of paper towels to move the paint off of the surface so the guitar can be removed from the water without further painting. This technique is used while painting the Steve Vai Ibanzez guitars. My question is, is it possible to do this to a neck thru guitar? I've only seen it done with the body removed from the guitar, never a neck thru. How would one save the binding, fret board, and head stock from being painted over?
    Thanks, Griff.

You need to carefully mask off any areas you don't want painted. I'm not sure what would work best, but yeah, anything you don't mask off will get painted.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
      ...mask off any areas you don't want painted....
      Well, I know that I'd need to mask it off, but what would I use? Would regular masking tape work? I'm just hesitant because I don't know how the other portions of the guitar would react to having water soaked tape covering them

Comment

Call or PM Mike Learn?
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

3m sells a blue plastic tape that works better then masking tape to prevent paint bleeding or in your case water bleeding but I have never tried it for swirl projects. http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Plas...=painters+tape

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
            Call or PM Mike Learn?
            Will do.

Comment

Working...
            X