Jackson Satin Necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Satin Necks

Well the feel of the Jackson satin finished neck is my all time favorite besides my San Dimas Charvel. Don't know if they have the same finish.

I have noticed my Jacksons - PC1 and Custom Demon which both have the same neck - change with the seasons so I have adjust the truss rod. No big deal.

I am currently getting the neck on my Custom Rico Jr. Jekyll worked on right now. It is in the shop. Making it more customized to my hands.

Anyway the Rico has a satin finish totally different than Jackson's. It is more glass like and less woody for lack of a better word.

I am tempted to have the guy finish the neck with what Jackson uses but then I don't want to run into the issue with the seasons so I don't know what I am going to do yet.

Anybody know what Jackson finishes their necks with on the satin jobs like the PC1 ?? Maybe there is an alternative ?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

I think you are actually referring to having the neck stripped and tung oiled. Totally different feel than a satin finish, which is what is probably on the Rico.
    He'd have to scrape the existing finish off, taking it down to the bare wood, then apply the coats of tung oil. Gun stock oil is often used too to give the same kind of results.
    It puts a protective finish on there, but still has the feel of the bare wood. Can't really beat that feel, IMHO.
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

"gunstock oil" isn't really a specific finish. Linseed oil, tru-oil, tung oil, and homemade variants mixed with thinners and lacquers and varnishes all fall under the generic "gunstock oil".

Jackson USA uses mostly oil finished natural wood. The Rico is probably some matte finish clear coat.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
      X