Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ringing Noise on certain frets?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ringing Noise on certain frets?

    On my Ibanez, aka my #1, I've been getting a pretty bad ringing noise on my high E string from the 15th to about the 19th frets. It's not a buzzing or anything you'd get off a bad setup, I legitimately don't know what it is. The ringing noise itself is coming from the nut area, but I've tried taking off the locking nuts, cleaning them out, wrapping the nut with fabric, etc and it's still doing it.

    The frets are kind of worn down, there are little grooves in the frets for that specific string , I'm thinking maybe a crowning or steel wool will do the trick, but I don't know for sure. Can anyone give me any tips or help?

  • #2
    Frets worn flat or have divots can make a very discernible oscillating sound from the note, but for the sound to be coming from the nut doesn't make sense on a fretted note, so not sure. If it was the nut it would more likely be only when you played an open string. I reply because basically how you stated it i've had happen on every guitar i've kept and played, i destroy frets and that is exactly what happens when they get worn down enough.

    Comment


    • #3
      Could it be your trem springs vibrating? I know you said nut area, but the sound could be traveling and amplifying through the neck..
      1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
      1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
      2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
      2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
      2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
      2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
      1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
      2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
      2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
      1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

      Comment


      • #4
        Check the tuner nuts on the face of the headstock and make sure they're snug. Also check to see if the truss has tension on it.

        Or your action could just be too low.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Trem View Post
          Frets worn flat or have divots can make a very discernible oscillating sound from the note, but for the sound to be coming from the nut doesn't make sense on a fretted note, so not sure. If it was the nut it would more likely be only when you played an open string. I reply because basically how you stated it i've had happen on every guitar i've kept and played, i destroy frets and that is exactly what happens when they get worn down enough.
          Thank you for the insight!
          Originally posted by silar View Post
          Could it be your trem springs vibrating? I know you said nut area, but the sound could be traveling and amplifying through the neck..
          Nah I understand what you mean, guitars are finicky so I random things on my springs and it still made the noise.
          Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
          Check the tuner nuts on the face of the headstock and make sure they're snug. Also check to see if the truss has tension on it.

          Or your action could just be too low.
          My action has been the same, it just randomly happened, but I did check the tuners and one of the bolts wasn't on properly, so the washer was rattling. I tried playing aggressively on the low E string, (tuner on the high E string, hence the noise), and it made the noise. Long story short, tightened it up and we're good to go! Thanks man!

          Weird how it only happened on the 15th-19th frets.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post
            My action has been the same, it just randomly happened, but I did check the tuners and one of the bolts wasn't on properly, so the washer was rattling. I tried playing aggressively on the low E string, (tuner on the high E string, hence the noise), and it made the noise. Long story short, tightened it up and we're good to go! Thanks man!

            Weird how it only happened on the 15th-19th frets.
            lol, if it's loose, only a certain frequency might trigger the rattle. I've had this happen before, so I thought I'd suggest it.

            Glad to know it's fixed!
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

            Comment

            Working...
            X