No announcement yet.

Oh wow drop A tuning, string gauge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This string tension calculator has helped me in the past: http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html

Comment

Bratfink, thank you sir. I never thought about that, I think it's so we can play some Korn so leads arent going to be an issue. Richard W thank you.
      I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Uh... You mean people still listen to Korn?

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
          Bratfink, thank you sir. I never thought about that, I think it's so we can play some Korn so leads arent going to be an issue. Richard W thank you.
          You got it!

Comment

Originally posted by VanHoosen View Post
            The next question will be about drop tuning his bagpipes

Comment

Originally posted by nateb View Post
              I would go for a set of 56 or higher depending on what you play. Any lower then a 56 in that tuning, things get a little too flubby.

-Nate
              +1.. Try the GHS Zakk Wylde sets.. they are STUPID-HEAVY strings and are perfect for drop tuning.
              John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by VanHoosen View Post
                He's a young bass player that can easily hold his own, so I want to make him happy.
                I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
                  He's a young bass player that can easily hold his own, so I want to make him happy.
                  Lock him in a room and make him listen to the first 5 King Diamond and Mercyful Fate albums. He'll thank you once he gets over the whole "teen angst" thing.

Comment

I would use a 59 or 62 for the low string.
                    I like EL34s.

Comment

Scale length is everything. I've had to use a 70 on a 7 string for a customer to tune to drop G. With a 6 string in a drop A (hopefully its a string thru or stop tail of 25.5in scale) I would probably use a GHS ZW 10-70 or a 7 string set with the 1st string removed depending on how you wont the treble strings to feel and sound.
                      Gil

Comment

No Gil it's a Floyded guitar. I'm thinking I should just look for a baritone guitar and make my life easier. Granted I don't need another guitar, but................

Comment

Working...
                        X