School Me on Whammy Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Me on Whammy Bars

I'm trying to decide if I should get a Soloist with a whammy bar or not. I initially thought I wanted one since I didn't have a guitar with one. I've read on here that it makes changing a tuning kind of a pain. What are other things I should consider? I saw someone say that it makes the strings floppier and softer to play, is this true? If you strum a floyd rose guitar it feels different than a non floyd? Help school me, thanks.

Which pair of jeans will fit me the best?

Go to a music store and try some out.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by jw3571 View Post
      I saw someone say that it makes the strings floppier and softer to play, is this true? If you strum a floyd rose guitar it feels different than a non floyd?
      IMO yes, a floyd has a more elastic feeling than a fixed bridge

I could understand some people having preference of one above the other, but either won't make eachother unplayable
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I think what Xenophobe is trying to say is it's difficult, not to mention time-consuming to try and explain the nuances of a Floyd-ed guitars vs. not. All you need to do is go to a music store with a few Floyded axes in stock and fuck around with them a bit. In the event that you live in the Tundra or the African bush and don't have access to a music store, I'll reveal this much:
        Yes, Floyded guitars are a LOT more involved and labor intensive when it comes to string changes. But after you've done it a few dozen times you don't really notice or mind.
        Floating FR's (when they're set to pull up as well as push down) definitely "give" a bit when you bend the strings. Again, after a time, you get over it and adjust your playing style. Or not. Then you give up on Floyds.
        Your best bet is to get on line and do a Google search as well as look up YouTube vids on comparisons and tutorials.
        Bottom line? In the hours it would take to type all of that info, you could be well-informed from a resource rich internet and have 1st hand experience trying one out.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
          I think what Xenophobe is trying to say is it's difficult, not to mention time-consuming to try and explain the nuances of a Floyd-ed guitars vs. not.
          Exactly. And also, it's very subjective. What may or may not seem like a big difference to you may or may not be to someone else.

Also, floating bridges can be blocked to prevent going out of pitch when bending or changing to alternate tunings, so any possible shortcomings can be remedied.

Floyd Rose systems offer, for the most part, much better tuning stability than fixed bridge guitars, though that varies from guitar to guitar. My SL2GX string through soloist went out of tune if you looked at it funny. My ESP Flying V and my Charvel DX1 can both remain stable for weeks and this will vary from guitar to guitar, so writing a 1000 word post to explain all the nuances that you could figure out from 10 minutes of playing with several different guitars is much easier to say.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Go with the Floyd! If you've never owned one, why not buy it and see if you like it. You may fall in love with it, or if not you can always sell it. Either way it will help you grow as a guitar player.

Comment

Floyds are waaay better than any other kind of bridge. More complicated to change strings or set up, but worth every bit of trouble. They detune slightly when you bend strings but you learn to play them. I have a tele that holds tune pretty well but other than that and a strat, I'd never consider buying a guitar without a Floyd Rose.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                Floyds are waaay better than any other kind of bridge. More complicated to change strings or set up, but worth every bit of trouble. They detune slightly when you bend strings but you learn to play them. I have a tele that holds tune pretty well but other than that and a strat, I'd never consider buying a guitar without a Floyd Rose.
                That's crazy talk, Chief! Sorry, couldn't resist.
                Actually, changing strings on a Kahler, IMO, is more complicated- especially if done according to recommendations. Solder the windings? Pre-bend them to fit the cam? Sprinkle graphite dust? WTF!

Comment

Kahler's are terrible. Tuning and string breaking problems all around.

Comment

I prefer Floyds, when I switched, it was a little weird palm muting as putting too much pressure in the wrong area can change the pitch. Once you find the sweet spot, its bliss. Changing strings is relatively painless when swapping out for the same gauge & brand. Now, playing fixed bridge guitars is strange cause I'm always reaching for the bar.
                    Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by VanHoosen View Post
                      Kahler's are terrible. Tuning and string breaking problems all around.
                      Not turn this into a Floyd vs Kahler debate but... Kahlers are not terrible and I don't have string breaking problems with them. I can change strings as quick if not quicker than on a Floyd. I have had both Kahlers and Floyds since the 80's and still play both out live in my band. They both work fine. Its usually someone's fear of switching from a fixed bridge or string thru to a trem that is the issue just like what is being asked here.
                      I have no plroblems going from my Floyded to my Kahlered guiatrs and back to my fixed bridges. They're all good
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Floyds rule........period (by this I mean floating bridges).

Comment

Ha ha, beat ya all to it 200501692.jpg

Comment

yaay.... awesome... :think:

Originally posted by jw3571 View Post
                            I saw someone say that it makes the strings floppier and softer to play, is this true? If you strum a floyd rose guitar it feels different than a non floyd?
                            Guess that was me...
                            Yes it does feel different IMO. First your right hand rests differently on any system. Floyds just feel different for your right hand.
                            But I think they're very comfy.
                            You will also feel a difference between recessed and non recessed floyds. On the non recessed ones there's a bit more room between body and strings and the neck is slightly tilted. I prefer recessed (not only for the pull ups) but I own both and none of them is a no go.

As far as string tension goes, the strings actually have the same tension as on non floyded guitars (Otherwhise the tone/pitch would be different, right?).
                            But a floyd gives a little when you pick it. I actually prefer to keep this effect little by using many springs on the rear, this way it feels more direct to me, but it also makes the floyd less responsive to whammy actions.

I'm with dannyr, go and get one, you can always sell.
                            Having a look in a store would be the first step, but I'd not judge by that small impression.
                            In many stores guitars aren't really set up well, you can adjust so many things on a floyd and the time is just too short to see wether you like it....
                            I'd give it a try and time will tell.
                            tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

I prefer floating bridges over string through or hard tail. You will really never know if you like it or not if you don't try it though. Listen to what everyone is saying and go to a music store and dick around with some floyd rose equipped guitars and ask some questions about them to the music store people.

My first floating bridge guitar was a Cort. I bought it at the music store and the owner said he would do free string changes for a year on it, so I was like cool. After breaking a couple sets of strings, I finally got the hang of how to change it and set up the bridge. I love them now! All of my guitars after the Cort were floyd equipped.

They also do have a softer feel to me when their floating. It's also very hard to explain every nuisance too. Sometimes you'll get your guitar tuned and when you lock the nuts it will go sharp and sometimes it will go flat. It's kind of weird, but you'll get used to it and grow to love setting up your floyd (or not).
                              Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
                              Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

Working...
                              X