Veneer neck shim?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veneer neck shim?????

I'm working on a project guitar that I tore apart awhile back because of this or that, I really can't remember.While I was stripping the paint from it I noticed that someone had put a peice of plastic in the neck pocket to line up the neck better and of course I found it with the heat gun. Ruined it quick. I thought about putting a peice of veneer in there to shim it with. I've heard of someone on here doing this and would like some pointers. I just want to do it right because I'm having a heck of a time finding a veneer scrap. Thanks guys.
    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

I have a little square cut off the box of the brand American Spirit cigarettes. It has the little eagle in it. I cut it a little smaller than the width and then cut the corners off so it fit. That works great. I've used business cards in the past, though they're usually too thin with one and too thick with two layers. That's why the cardboard from my cigarette pack was just right.

You can use a small wood shim. You could use a piece of thin sheet metal. You could probably get a piece of tin foil and fold it until you have the desired thickness. You could cut up a piece of ziplock bag. Maybe 2 folds. Or maybe one fold if it's a freezer bag. I wonder how many people have used cigarette butts. I'm sure more than a few. Or a stem from a really big bud. Might compress to just the right size. I might be forgetting something.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I've heard of people also using guitar picks, so whatever material is the right size and works for you, go for it.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i have used cardboard and, most often, guitar picks. by using picks, i can just go to GC and get some of varying thicknesses and be good to go.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Oh, you could get a spark plug gap tester and cut them all off.

Basically what I'm saying is you can put anything you want in there and as long as it's the height you need, you'll be fine.

Comment

I've used a belt sander on a piece of plastic to get it to the dimensions of the neck pocket.

Comment

I've used several different things myself. I heard of someone on here saying veneer was the best and was just wanting to try it out.
              I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

If you have access to a table saw or chop saw and any kind of scrap wood, you can make all the shims you want for free.

Comment

Working...
                X