RR1 Tuning stability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR1 Tuning stability

Hey Dudes, I know I always have the weirdest tech issues but I know your the go to guys. I have an rr1 that I've owned for about 6 months. It's my main guitar that I play most often. The guitar is equipped with a big block and trem stop from floyd upgrades. The guitar has also been setup and maintained by a highly qualified tech. Heres my question, the guitar stays in tune while being played, But every day when I take it out of the case, It's out of tune quite a bit, nothing insane, But enough for me to question whats going on. I had an rr1 a few years back that had the same setup, I could go a month or more without tuning that thing. It was dead on every time I took it out of the case, even if I let it sit for a few days, (which is rare) So whats going on with my current one? seems like I open up the case everyday needing to tune her up quite a bit. And she has a proper setup. Hope you guys have some insight for me...

Is it because of the weather? I know my guitars require minor tweaks on occasion due to the seasonal shifts. Also, is it going sharp or flat? Certain strings worse than others?

Comment

That was my first thought as well, But the room is kept at a consistent temperature through the summers so I'm thinking that the weather isn't the culprit.

Comment

I'd also suspect the weather because this happens seasonally to my Gibsons.

If not this, then is it going up in tune or down?

Comment

My RR1 stays pretty stable. It not temperature as much as humidity that affects the wood. My RR1T keeps in perfect relative tuning (the string to string tuning is right on) but will slide up or down 10-20 cents depending on temperature/humidity shifts.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by rhoadsfan11 View Post
            That was my first thought as well, But the room is kept at a consistent temperature through the summers so I'm thinking that the weather isn't the culprit.
            Like Hellbat mentioned, the humidity is the real culprit, not the temp.

I live less than an hour from you, and the humidity this summer has been crazy. Every day after work I need to tune any guitar before I can play it. They are all in my temp controlled guitar room, but every day they are a little bit sharp because the wood has taken on some moisture and expanded. The opposite will happen this fall as the humidity drops...

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. You have deff put my mind at ease.
              Originally posted by Ward View Post
              Like Hellbat mentioned, the humidity is the real culprit, not the temp.

I live less than an hour from you, and the humidity this summer has been crazy. Every day after work I need to tune any guitar before I can play it. They are all in my temp controlled guitar room, but every day they are a little bit sharp because the wood has taken on some moisture and expanded. The opposite will happen this fall as the humidity drops...

Comment

I run a dehumidifier here in the summer. Not so much for my electric guitars but for my girlfriends violins and acoustic. These types of instruments don't fare nearly as well as electrics due with humidity changes. You can really tell the difference with the violins because the tuning pegs are wood and swell so much that they are almost impossible to turn, but after running the dehumidifier for a day or so they turn pretty easy.

Comment

Yeah, acoustics are WAY worse for this. I keep my Taylor in the case when I'm not playing it with those planetwaves humidipacks. The best part is, it still smells awesome every time I open the case.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I had my Kelly mutt and 12-string Garrison acoustic shipped back via freight from the UK; they were on a cargo ship for 8 weeks. I pulled the Garrison out of the case and the strings were corroded and completely out of tune but the Kelly was perfectly in tune exactly as i left her.
                    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Working...
                    X