PS-4 - Stripped JT-500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS-4 - Stripped JT-500

Last night, I decided to swap to heavier gauge strings 11's from the 10's I normally use and tune the guitar to drop C. I've got a few songs that I wrote in drop C and haven't played them in a long time. The issue that I have is that the screw hole in the base plate that holds the low E (or C in this case) string bridge piece locked down for intonation is stripped. Now the note at the 12th fret is sharp and I can't get the bridge piece to move back to correct it.

My question is... Is there a way to fix this, or will a FR Special fit with no mods? I thought about finding a JT-580LP and routing out the angles in the body to compensate, but wasn't sure if any of the inside routing was different.

I'd rather not go with a JT-590, and would much rather do the FR Special, especially if it is a direct replacement without any mods to the body. I am fully aware of the issues that the JT-500 has (crappy base plate metal)...

Any suggestions?

Just edited this to note that I should have posted this in the Tech section. If anyone wants to move it, be my guest. I don't have a way to do it...
    Last edited by silar; 08-18-2012, 11:03 AM.
    1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
    1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
    2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
    2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
    2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
    2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
    1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
    2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
    2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
    1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

If you don't use the trem a lot the Floyd rose special will work but if will touch te back of the trem route if you pull backing the bar. If you have a steady hand you can extend the back route to fit.
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
      If you don't use the trem a lot the Floyd rose special will work but if will touch te back of the trem route if you pull backing the bar. If you have a steady hand you can extend the back route to fit.
      I just wanted to make sure. I really don't mind routing the body a little. I was a bit worried it would be offset, or the pivots wouldn't line up properly..

Comment

Someone on the board was offering to repair bridges. Can remember who - it's been a while.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          Someone on the board was offering to repair bridges. Can remember who - it's been a while.
          Thanks Don, but after thinking about it, I'd rather replace it with something a little better, to avoid this problem in the future on the other saddles..

Comment

A schaller floyd (jt590) is a direct swap. Its what the jt500 is a copy of.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
              A schaller floyd (jt590) is a direct swap. Its what the jt500 is a copy of.
              The only issue with that is the base plate is pretty much made of the same metal according to audiozone.dk. Wasn't the JT500 before the JT580 and JT590? I think I'll just go with the Floyd Rose special and route out the end to accommodate the longer locking screws..

Comment

I'm gonna get a HD Floyd copy from guitarfetish for a project I'm getting the parts lined up for now. They look allright for the price, but I will say I'm not afraid of using a router to make one fit. Thinking about using some of their pickups and whatever else I need. On a side thought how many projects are too many? LOL 3 of my own and 2 for a friend of mine.
                I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
                  I'm gonna get a HD Floyd copy from guitarfetish for a project I'm getting the parts lined up for now. They look allright for the price, but I will say I'm not afraid of using a router to make one fit. Thinking about using some of their pickups and whatever else I need. On a side thought how many projects are too many? LOL 3 of my own and 2 for a friend of mine.
                  You sound like me! I've got 2 guitar projects for a friend.. One is a Ibanez RG550 from the 90's and the other is an American strat. He tried carving out the cavities to accommodate active electronics/batteries with a hammer and flathead screwdriver on both! You don't even want to see what they look like!

I've got the DX10D that I'm modifying the top and headstock with bubinga burl, and now this one where I'm going to have to route out the trem cavity for a new floyd!

I've used guitarfetish in the past for a few things, and so far, I like them. Got some knobs, metal pickup rings, Pickguard for my Jazz bass, etc...

Comment

The Jt-590 is a Schaller made trem and is a lot better. The newer Schallers have hardened inserts for the intonation screws. It's a solid trem and you can find them for the same price as the Floyd Special. I have one on my Jackson parts mutt. It looks a little ratty but works perfectly.
                    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                      The Jt-590 is a Schaller made trem and is a lot better. The newer Schallers have hardened inserts for the intonation screws. It's a solid trem and you can find them for the same price as the Floyd Special. I have one on my Jackson parts mutt. It looks a little ratty but works perfectly.
                      Thanks 84, but not to sound like an arse, and I may be wrong, but the JT-590's all were made with Zinc base plates, or is the article on Audiozone.dk wrong? That's why they mention the 'Schaller Made' Floyd Rose II as a replacement for the JT-590, because the FR II had the hardened inserts. Like I said.. I could be wrong, and whether or not I am, I'd be a bit hesitant to buy a JT-590 not knowing whether or not it had hardened inserts, plus, for some reason or another, I've never been a fan of the big fat string retainer bolts that go in the back of the saddles...

The newer Schaller 'Tremolo' units that are similar to the JT-590 are around $150 - $190 new shipped (Here is an example), where I can get a Floyd Rose Special for around $50 shipped (example)...

Comment

I would go for a FR Special myself but I don't like doing the Ebay thing at all. I think the forum should put in a new deal that is solely for projects whether it's a pedal, amp, guitar or anything else forum related. That would be cool imo.
                        I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Schaller JT590's do NOT have zinc baseplates. And no a Floyd Special will not fit into a 500/590 rout, so theyre out of the question. The only trems that will fit are a Schaller or another 500.
                          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                            Schaller JT590's do NOT have zinc baseplates. And no a Floyd Special will not fit into a 500/590 rout, so theyre out of the question. The only trems that will fit are a Schaller or another 500.

Then why does audiozone.dk say this about them.. "The baseplate of the JT-590 pictured is made of zinc, which is soft and easier/cheaper to produce, the knife edges are inserts of supposedly hardened steel and it has no steel threaded inserts for the saddle bolts (later models came with threaded inserts). Because of that, it's easier to strip the threads of the intonation holes in the baseplate - having threads in zinc is simply just a bad idea. Furthermore, the knife edges do not last as long as the the original Floyd. Far from. I know this for a fact, as I have used both types for well over 20 years. The original Floyd baseplate is made of high quality hardened steel, with the knife edges being part of the baseplate itself. It can really take some abuse and the knife edges just last longer. Furthermore, I think the original Floyd sounds better too. No kidding. Especially when using the old studs that screw directly into the wooden body."

Maybe I'm missing something....:dunno: Like I said earlier, finding a newer one that has the inserts would be luck of the draw, and I'd rather not waste money on something not really knowing what it is, plus I'm not a fan of the fat locking bolts...

I know the Special will not fit the route for a 500 or 590... That's why I mentioned earlier in the thread that I would route out the cavity to accommodate.

Comment

The 590s get stripped out but people being gorillas with the allen keys when they tighten them down. I had a Schaller branded trem for several years and never had an issue also the knife edges are fine. If you do a search there are several members on here that bought their guitar new and their Schaller trems still work fine. There is always going to be a few people that have bad experiences.
                              It's pronounced soops

Comment

Working...
                              X