PS-4 - Stripped JT-500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
    The 590s get stripped out but people being gorillas with the allen keys when they tighten them down. I had a Schaller branded trem for several years and never had an issue also the knife edges are fine. If you do a search there are several members on here that bought their guitar new and their Schaller trems still work fine. There is always going to be a few people that have bad experiences.
    I'm pretty gentle with mine, but apparently the previous owner wasn't. Honestly, I'm not much of a trem user, just an occasional dive or tremolo effect. I'm just a stickler for perfect tune and intonation!
    1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
    1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
    2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
    2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
    2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
    2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
    1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
    2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
    2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
    1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

Comment

Well if youre so against the Schaller, one of the bet trems ever made, then by all means get the junk special and rout out the guitar... Its still gonna fit like crap. If youre so dead set on a special over a Schaller, then why even start this thread and ignore all of our advise?
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
        Well if youre so against the Schaller, one of the bet trems ever made, then by all means get the junk special and rout out the guitar... Its still gonna fit like crap. If youre so dead set on a special over a Schaller, then why even start this thread and ignore all of our advise?
        I'm not dead set against a Schaller Rob. Like I said in the very first post.. I just don't want a JT-590. And, I guarantee that the Schaller made JT-590 was not the 'BEST TREM EVER MADE'... I'll give you that Schaller makes good trems. Unless someone wants to spend around $170 on a new Schaller for my LOW END BEATER GUITAR PS-4 that I got for much of nothing (and we all know that's not going to happen), then I'm going to find the best bang for my buck. AND.. If you had actually read the 1st post, you would see that my question was.... Wait for it... Wait for it... 'My question is... Is there a way to fix this, or will a FR Special fit with no mods?'... and.... 'I'd rather not go with a JT-590, and would much rather do the FR Special'. The reason I even mentioned the JT-590 at the first is because I know it's a direct replacement and to alleviate anyone from trying to bring it up. So much for that idea...

The JT-590 may be a slightly better trem than the 500, but they are still designed the same whether or not they use different metal and I don't like the way they look at all. I prefer a JT-580, 580LP, or a Floyd OFR (mainly because I have used them all with no issues), and the biggest bang is going to be the special.

The thread as you make it wasn't 'Hey guys I don't know whether to get a Schaller or a FR Special!'. You'd think you designed the thing and I am assuming you have a Schaller on every guitar you own.. As far as routing goes, If I'm doing it... which I am... It's not going to fit like crap as you stated. I have a regular career outside of music, but I have also been a woodworker for 20 years and love doing Luthier work. Everyone around here comes to me from everything electronics wise to setups and mods. I think I'm pretty competent at what I do...

I'm not ignoring anyone's advice... There are just a few that really didn't read what this thread was about.
        Last edited by silar; 08-28-2012, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Fix it? Try helicoils. http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/105982-Helicoil
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            Thanks ToeJam! Funny it's about a Schaller trem!
            I know that's not what ya meant though!

I thought about the helicoils when I ran across this thread a few days back http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/613...Floyd-on-sl2!! (ironically.. about a Schaller also), but I'm just going to replace it. Other than the JT-6, the 500 or 590 design to me is just not doing it for me. I've never liked the textured baseplate or the big fat locking bolts, plus, now I feel I have to prove myself and my router skills!

Comment

No problem. Those old Schallers did have a tendency to strip the saddle screws, but I believe Schaller fixed that problem some years back, so brand new ones will be fine. If that type of trem is not your thing, then either go for an OFR or Gotoh.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Why not go to the local Ace hardware and get a long bolt and put a nut on the bottom. It would be loads cheaper and no one would be the wiser.
                It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                  Why not go to the local Ace hardware and get a long bolt and put a nut on the bottom. It would be loads cheaper and no one would be the wiser.
                  I thought about that too, but I'm weird when it comes to my guitars. That's a good temporary fix though If I can find a nut thin enough to fit under the base plate without causing it to hit the trem cavity.

I went ahead and ordered a black Floyd Rose special. Of course I'll have to route the end of the cavity for it, but that's no problem at all. Everything electronic has already been changed out on the PS-4 to CTS 500k pots, new wiring, switchcraft jack, and CRL 5 way switch. After this trem upgrade, I'll just need some good Pups to throw in there and I'll have one hell of a player (it's already a good player, but the Jackson Pickups in it are a little less to be desired)...

Comment

Get a Floyd and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by decadentdave View Post
                      Get a Floyd and be done with it.
                      Uhh.. I did.. Sort of..

Comment

Well, I got my floyd rose special.. Gonna be doing some mods to the PS-4, including routing the trem cavity to make sure the FRS fits... When I got the guitar, it had the original Jackson pickups. I just ordered two Hexbuckers (neck & bridge) to replace the originals. Figured for around $35 bucks for the set, If I don't like them, I can always switch them out since I'm not out a lot of cash, and if they are microphonic, I have a potting setup. They are supposed to be similar to the JB in sound and the bridge is around 16kohms. While I'm at it, I bought some ebony stain and will be staining the fretboard.

Fun Fun Fun! I'll be posting pics of the progress!

Comment

Go for it I love to mod guitars if I don't have lots of cash in them.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Here's the guitar with the JT-500

Here's the guitar with the Floyd Rose Special. Notice the lock bolts hitting the body.

Getting ready to route the back of the trem cavity for the Floyd Rose Special. I wrapped the guitar in saran wrap to do 2 things. One is to protect the guitar when I route a piece of wood to create a template of the existing trem route - Keep it from getting scratched. The other reason is to allow the wood to grip on the body to keep the wood from moving when I route.

Went down to Hobby Lobby and picked up some adhesive backed thin black foam sheets. This stuff looks exactly like what is in the trem cavity. And just $.89 a 9"x12" sheet!

Now time to play!
                            Last edited by silar; 09-09-2012, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Well..

Got the trem route done to accommodate the Floyd Rose Special... Worked out pretty good. I made a rear route template of the existing trem route to use as a guide when I extended it.

Here's the guide made out of poplar. More just a routing template I made from the original trem route. I'll keep this on hand If I need to do this again..

Here's the trem cavity routed out to accept the Floyd Rose Special.

Here's the cavity with the thin self adhesive foam cut to fit and applied...

And here's the trem cavity with the Floyd Rose special. Nice fit if I need to move any of the blocks back to the last intonation screw hole.

And just because I can be a smart-ass about it on this thread... MAN RobRR, THAT SURE FITS LIKE CRAP... DOESN'T IT?

Now on to the ebonizing of the fretboard and waiting for the pickups to arrive!

Comment

If you want I can fix your stripped base plate for $20. I have the helicoil kit and plenty of inserts. Just pm me if you are interested.
                                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                                X