Headed to NAMM this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headed to NAMM this year

I've always wanted to go and I scored a pass this year. I know quite a few folks here have been many times, any suggestions for a first timer?

It's not going to be anything like it was back in the late 80s when I used to go. Sad how things have changed.

Anyway, there will be lots a freebees and flyers to collect. Maybe some cool axes to purchase. I purchased my (still) unfinished ESP M-1 Custom there. It was on display because they put the crosses in the fretboard in the wrong way, so the person who ordered it rejected it and told them to do it again.

Comment

would it be dealer pricing?

Comment

This was an unfinished guitar. I just kept pestering them until they sold it to me LOL!

I really need to get it painted and finished.

Comment

I will be there as well Don't expect to buy a guitar there at dealer pricing. For the most part you can't really buy unless you are a dealer. Most manufacturers are selling large quantities there to dealers not one guitar to an individual. If you do buy any smaller items there make sure to get a receipt and usually the seller will have to walk you to the door on the way out. They check this stuff thoroughly or won't let you out with it. Also, take a photo ID with you. they check it when you go in and make sure it matches the name on the pass or you're not getting in.
          At night time there are bands playing in the Hilton and Marriott lobbies for free. Or, if you make nice with some manufacturers you can score some free passes to various concerts they have in the area with their endorsees. Tons of cool stuff to see there and the 4 days really fly by. So much stuff there that its hard to cover it all.
          My favorite time of the year!
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Looks like I'll be going again this year.
            http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

The Hilton used to be a good place to hang out, then they changed the layout. Now it's super noisy. I like the Marriott more. There's a Dean NAMM Jam at the Grove in Anaheim. They usually have passes at the Dean booth. It's on friday night.

Just go slow through the show. It's super overwhelming. I usually take the first 1/2 day to do a quick run thru, then spend the next day or 2 really taking my time to play stuff. Some of the signings have really long lines. Just be really nice to the people at the booths and you never know what kind of deal you can score. I've gotten a lot of parts really cheap this way. And also made some good connections for later deals. Sometimes on sundays some of the booths want to unload stuff

Comment

My friend I am going with and I were thinking of only spending 2 days there, is this not enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
                  Looks like I'll be going again this year.
                  Perhaps we'll meet up at the Jackson/Charvel booth

Originally posted by Venomboy View Post
                  The Hilton used to be a good place to hang out, then they changed the layout. Now it's super noisy. I like the Marriott more. There's a Dean NAMM Jam at the Grove in Anaheim. They usually have passes at the Dean booth. It's on friday night.

Just go slow through the show. It's super overwhelming. I usually take the first 1/2 day to do a quick run thru, then spend the next day or 2 really taking my time to play stuff. Some of the signings have really long lines. Just be really nice to the people at the booths and you never know what kind of deal you can score. I've gotten a lot of parts really cheap this way. And also made some good connections for later deals. Sometimes on sundays some of the booths want to unload stuff
                  I agree about the Hilton layout, it used to be better before they re-did it. However the last two years they had a decent band play there, Hot For Teacher which is a DLR Van Halen tribute band. I'll have to get some passes from Dean this year for the Grove Of Anaheim. The Grove is a nice facility. On buying stuff, yeah you can get good deals especially on Sunday. But thats usually on pedals, cables, etc... not complete guitars for the most part. And they have become pretty picky about having the seller come to the door with you if they find the purchased item in your bags. Which brings up another point and that is they have really upped the bag searches on your way out in recent years!

Originally posted by thebigz View Post
                  My friend I am going with and I were thinking of only spending 2 days there, is this not enough?
                  It all depends on what you want to see. The show is huge! If you only have a few specific booths you want to hit then yes, a couple days are enough. If you want to see everything or if you plan to get autographs then the lines and wait times can be long. I used to go 3 days and fly back on Sunday but the last few years I've been staying all 4 days
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                  X