NAMM Guitar Player's Ball 1.15.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAMM Guitar Player's Ball 1.15.10

Just got home. It was pretty cool. Held at The Galaxy in Santa Ana, Ca. There were some other opening bands that were good but,
    here are the highlights:

The first band was Tracii Guns and Rudy Sarzo with a drummer (?) and Robin Macaulley on vocals. It was really good. They did "Over The Mountain", "Rainbow In The Dark", "Metal Health" and "Crazy Train". Tracii played a Dean Explorer-type guitar the whole set. He had a Pod sitting on the ground connected to his board. The amp was a Marshall half stack. Great energy. Tracii can turn it on when he needs to. And Rudy is Rudy. 'Nuff said.

Jon Levin was next and played a few songs with the "House" band, which was Sean McNabb on bass, some guy on drums and the current singer from Montrose. Jon played a custom Charvel w/ a skull graphic, black Fender-shaped headstock, rear 'bucker/single coil and a Floyd. The guitar was rad. I couldn't take my eyes off it, it was that cool. They started out with "Into The Fire" and also played "Immigrant Song". Might have done a Joe Walsh song, too. He used a basic Marshall half stack. Couldn't see his pedals. He ripped it up.

Carlos Cavazo was next and used his cream-colored Flying V, into the Marshall half stack. His pedals appeared to be a DD-3 and a Tube Screamer. They also did "Metal Health" with a Montrose song ("Rock Candy"?), and a Robin Trower song. Maybe one other. I forget...

The headliner was Lynch. He played his Tiger the whole set into one of his own amps -- I think it said Lynch Bat on the front. There was also a head called Marsha back there.
    Here is his set list:
    "Kiss"
    "River"
    "Wicked"
    "I Will Remember"
    "Voodoo Chile" jam
    "Scary"
    "Tooth"

George's tech Gerry played back-up on some songs. He had a single 'bucker Jackson, matte black, Floyded with Sharkies. Nice axe. George sounded OK, the solos were a bit buried. I was up front near the stage so that has something to do with it.

Last was Chris Holmes of WASP. By now it was 1 AM and most of the crowd left after Lynch. He did two songs with the band: "Keep on Rockin...'" by Neil Young and another Montrose song. That dude plays loud. He's all over the stage, too. He played some kind of Jackson Kelly. I was seated for this last set and didn't get a good look at his gear.

Anyways, I'm PISSED I forgot my camera. Everyone else brought their's. It was a cool show and they do it every year during NAMM, but this is the first time I've been. That's it.

Later...
    8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Originally posted by FloydRose4Prez View Post
    The headliner was Lynch. He played his Tiger the whole set into one of his own amps -- I think it said Lynch Bat on the front. There was also a head called Marsha back there
    That would be his Randall 'LynchBox', the 'Marsha' is probably his Dave Friedman Modded Marshall
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by FloydRose4Prez View Post
      Just got home. It was pretty cool. Held at The Galaxy in Santa Ana, Ca. There were some other opening bands that were good but,
      here are the highlights:

The first band was Tracii Guns and Rudy Sarzo with a drummer (?) and Robin Macaulley on vocals. It was really good. They did "Over The Mountain", "Rainbow In The Dark", "Metal Health" and "Crazy Train". Tracii played a Dean Explorer-type guitar the whole set. He had a Pod sitting on the ground connected to his board. The amp was a Marshall half stack. Great energy. Tracii can turn it on when he needs to. And Rudy is Rudy. 'Nuff said.

Jon Levin was next and played a few songs with the "House" band, which was Sean McNabb on bass, some guy on drums and the current singer from Montrose. Jon played a custom Charvel w/ a skull graphic, black Fender-shaped headstock, rear 'bucker/single coil and a Floyd. The guitar was rad. I couldn't take my eyes off it, it was that cool. They started out with "Into The Fire" and also played "Immigrant Song". Might have done a Joe Walsh song, too. He used a basic Marshall half stack. Couldn't see his pedals. He ripped it up.

Carlos Cavazo was next and used his cream-colored Flying V, into the Marshall half stack. His pedals appeared to be a DD-3 and a Tube Screamer. They also did "Metal Health" with a Montrose song ("Rock Candy"?), and a Robin Trower song. Maybe one other. I forget...

The headliner was Lynch. He played his Tiger the whole set into one of his own amps -- I think it said Lynch Bat on the front. There was also a head called Marsha back there.
      Here is his set list:
      "Kiss"
      "River"
      "Wicked"
      "I Will Remember"
      "Voodoo Chile" jam
      "Scary"
      "Tooth"

George's tech Gerry played back-up on some songs. He had a single 'bucker Jackson, matte black, Floyded with Sharkies. Nice axe. George sounded OK, the solos were a bit buried. I was up front near the stage so that has something to do with it.

Last was Chris Holmes of WASP. By now it was 1 AM and most of the crowd left after Lynch. He did two songs with the band: "Keep on Rockin...'" by Neil Young and another Montrose song. That dude plays loud. He's all over the stage, too. He played some kind of Jackson Kelly. I was seated for this last set and didn't get a good look at his gear.

Anyways, I'm PISSED I forgot my camera. Everyone else brought their's. It was a cool show and they do it every year during NAMM, but this is the first time I've been. That's it.

Later...
      I was there too! Of course I had no camera with me either because we called ahead of time to ask if I could. They said no! In retrospect I could have snuck one in and I didn't see anyone enforcing the rule. A couple corrections though, Lon Levin and Carlos Cavazo both played through a Soldano, not a Marshall. Jon Levin's tone with that Soldano and his Charvel was ripping! George Lynch had a Randall Lynch Box amp onstage but I think he was plugged into two amps maybe (?) the other being the small logo Marshall under the Marsha head. At anu rate, I noticed his Lynch Box had three modules in it, the last being a Mr. Scary yet the indicator light stayed on the first module all night, I think it was a Brhama. Based on that, I'm not sure he used the Lynch Box at all. The bass was blaringly loud and I'm thinking thats why his solos sounded a bit burried. His playing was great though.
      On a side note, saw Ratt tonight at the House of Blues. Cavazo and Demartini were both playing Soldanos through Marshall cabs. Warren played his Frenchie Charvel and Carlos his cream Flying V as the night before. Demartini was incredible and had great tone!
      Seems like the Charvel/Soldano combo was a wise choice this weekend at NAMM
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

That sounds awesome
        2011 USA Jackson Soloist
        2007 USA Jackson Soloist
        2007 USA BC Rich Warlock
        2009 Edwards ECY 165
        2009 Schecter Hellraiser
        2006 USA BC Rich Wave
        2012 Gibson LP Trad
        1981 USA BC Rich Mockingbird