Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what makes USA's "sound" like they do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll back up rjohnstone; he really does sound like shit!

J/K dude
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by racerx View Post
      i'll back up rjohnstone; he really does sound like shit!

J/k dude
      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
        The "tone is in the fingers" claim is nonsense... Listen to the characteristics of the sound. First, don't IMPROVISE when you pick up the guitar, Unless you can replicate that during your comparison. If you're playing a pentatonic solo it's going to sound pentatonic no matter what the fuck you play it on; but if you listen to how the NOTES are sounding through the amplifier, it's a different being. That's the tone, which some people apparently can't hear. I'll tell you this, If I play through each of my amps with the same guitar it will all sound completely different to me. If I switch guitars on the same amp it will still sound different. It's not in the hands, that's just your flavour of guitar playing, not your tone.
        I totally agree with this. Everyone always says that the tone is in your fingers. But who sounds better, me through a 10 watt walmart store bought amp or a marshall stack?

You're not gonna tell me a 10 watt walmart crap amp sounds the same as a england made marshall if the same player is playing it are you??

If thats the case why have EQ settings on a amp? Amps should just have on/off switches and just say "to hell with EQ's, its all in the fingers" :think:

People confuse a persons playing style/habits with tone.
        Last edited by Acesofbelkan; 10-30-2010, 03:02 PM.

Comment

its not just one thing, its the whole package from wood, fretboard, hardware, pu, bridge, construction, glue, finish............ect...ect.....ect....

Comment

yeah, and the best bananas come form Iceland.

Comment

Originally posted by Acesofbelkan View Post
              I totally agree with this. Everyone always says that the tone is in your fingers. But who sounds better, me through a 10 watt walmart store bought amp or a marshall stack?

You're not gonna tell me a 10 watt walmart crap amp sounds the same as a england made marshall if the same player is playing it are you??

If thats the case why have EQ settings on a amp? Amps should just have on/off switches and just say "to hell with EQ's, its all in the fingers" :think:

Walmart amp = Marshall

I don't think that a country of origin makes a guitar sound better the deciding factor is the quality of builder.

I could build a guitar from scratch, but it's not gonna be as good as a USA Jackson, or a Japanese ESP or a whatever, that's because I no guitar making skills
              Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by ozzuk1 View Post
                ...I was also pleasently suprised to find that my SL2H doesent have that ugly and horrible grounding screw sitcking through the trem cavity by the claw..
                I HATE that thing. I had an early 90's SL1 that didn't have that and I've never seen it in any other guitar...except my 2002 Jackson SL2H. I saw that and my first thought was "someone has been mucking around with this thing!" When I found out it was ground I felt better but still think its overkill!

Comment

Best Sound Live

The best guitar sound you are going to get live is to not have your amp facing forward! Turn the amp around and face the speakers away from the audience. Get the sound from the monitors and the sound guy will not have to compete with your amps volume. Then you can start to hear your guitar in the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Acesofbelkan View Post

Some of the best amps out there didn't have tone controls. Old Fenders, Gibsons, and other tube heads had a volume and maybe a "master" tone control. Killer tone that way. It's all in the fingers, bottom line.
                    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                    Gotta get away from here.
                    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I use the same setting on every cover that I know how to play(which are very few)I use the volume and tone on the guitar and other than that! I have very cheap pre-amp and play on a clean channel of a cheap old amp.But like Rick my playing sucks, more than likely much worst : )
                      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

To me, and many others obviously, its a mix of both talent and equipment.

Yngwie will sound like Yngwie with any gear, but there's a reason prefers to use his vintage duck/custom shops and custom pickups and whatever other guitars and tube amps he chooses to record and play live with.

You'd know it was him but it just wouldn't sound nearly as good through a made in china strat knockoff and a 15W Marshall MGD FX.
                        Jackson KV2
                        Jackson KE1T
                        Jackson KE1F
                        Jackson SL1

Comment

If I play through a 15 watt crap walmart amp, Ill get crap tone.
                          If I play the same thing through a well built amp with great tone it'll sound better.
                          It's not "ALL in the fingers". What you play through matters.
                          Lets not confuse great playing with great tone here.

Comment

Working...
                          X