sanding/shaving the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sanding/shaving the neck?

would it be a sin to do this to a US Jackson?
    Guitars:
    Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
    Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
    Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
    BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
    ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

Re: sanding/shaving the neck?

That depends on the US Jackson in question.....
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

& depends on the level of expertise of the guy who will do it...

Comment

If you did it to this Jackson it'd be OK:

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Beware. Matt (of Matt's music) has a good story about what happens when you get a little over zealous with the sander (and it aint pretty!).
          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

New access to the truss rod via the back of the neck I take it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I have seen guys do a light sand (wet or dry) on the back of a neck to get the shine off. I personally would not do it. Why are you looking to do that to remove the finish or to make it thinner?

Comment

I´m with Neilli + Pebber, it depends on the guitar and the quality of the job. I personally prefer raw wood.

Comment

I have an otherwise neat Hohner guitar, but the neck had so much "finish" on it I decided to plane it off. Now its a great neck. It's down but not to raw wood. On others I run 000 steel wool on it. And I like that too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

YES it would be a Sin . You'll get rid of it sometime in the and get 1/2 of what it would be worth if you hadn't defaced it . This goes double for neck thru guitar! If it a bolt on neck buy another neck and have that feel. Let's face it we are but caretaker & user of these guitars if care for properly they will outlast all of us.They are a piece of histroy keep them as close to original as you can .

Comment

I've done it to a guitar before. It wasn't a Jackson though. Jackson necks are thin enough for me. It was a crappy cheapo Aria Pro and the neck was a log. I shaved about 1/8" off it, and it was a dramatic improvement.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

The steel wool is a great idea to make the back smoother, it should just make the clearcoat smooth more like a finish sanding and you could always re-clear it later

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          The steel wool is a great idea to make the back smoother, it should just make the clearcoat smooth more like a finish sanding and you could always re-clear it later

[/ QUOTE ] Yes it does and yes you can. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Yes Nicolaj, It WOULD BE A SIN to do that to the RR1
                            [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I would love to do it to my kelly, I much prefer the feel of raw (well, oiled) maple.

especially on a neckthrough guitar. I'd rather have a factory job though, there's no way I am going to risk damaging my guitar by trying this out.

Comment

Working...
                              X