Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone in the NYC area have a Warrior I could try? Details in post

Hi guys,

So X shapes are my favorite shape ever- probably the Star is overall my fave, but I've realized my palm of my fretting hand is too large, where really only a V gives me enough freedom to play up near the 24th fret and use all 4 fingers on the low E string without my palm getting stuck in the lower horn opening.

The one caveat is, is that I know a Warrior has the largest lower horn cut out of any X shape I know (please let me know if I'm mistaken), so I want to try one and see if I can write off all X shapes and just stick with Vs. I live in NYC, so if anyone in NYC happens to have a Warrior, I'd love to try it out just to see what I think of the lower horn...there's none in stores currently.

My alternative would be to buy one off Reverb and try to sell it for minimal loss (this is assuming I went with like an X series or so, so if I liked it I'd try to find a USA but I don't want to risk that amount of money for now).

Thanks!

You could also order one online and return it. Its scummy but people do it.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
      You could also order one online and return it. Its scummy but people do it.
      True, but regardless I think ideally trying one out would be both the quickest/easiest, and also I think with even returns I'd lose ~$200 on shipping both ways

Comment

You can't go wrong with the Warrior... it's one of the most ergonomic shapes around, sitting or standing. I had a regular V, a Rhoads, a Star, and a Warrior. Was never crazy about the regular symmetrical V, but did enjoy the Rhoads and the Star, but the Warrior was really the most comfortable, felt great for playing up to the 24th fret without a problem.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          You can't go wrong with the Warrior... it's one of the most ergonomic shapes around, sitting or standing. I had a regular V, a Rhoads, a Star, and a Warrior. Was never crazy about the regular symmetrical V, but did enjoy the Rhoads and the Star, but the Warrior was really the most comfortable, felt great for playing up to the 24th fret without a problem.
          awesome! Are there any shapes you find even more comfy? That can include non Jackson shapes haha

Comment

Carvin Ultra V - because the longer point was on the bottom.... there's this thing called gravity. The weight being on the bottom, it makes playing more comfortable.

Comment

I've never tried a Carvin/Kiesel Ultra V, but that should also be a good choice. I've owned 6 or 7 Carvins and enjoyed every one.

The Jackson Mark Morton MM1 Dominion is a pretty weird shape (like a Firebird/Jazzmaster type thing), but surprisingly extremely comfortable. I had one for years but sold it and miss it. Mark is with Gibson now, but there should still be a bunch out there.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                I've never tried a Carvin/Kiesel Ultra V, but that should also be a good choice. I've owned 6 or 7 Carvins and enjoyed every one.

The Jackson Mark Morton MM1 Dominion is a pretty weird shape (like a Firebird/Jazzmaster type thing), but surprisingly extremely comfortable. I had one for years but sold it and miss it. Mark is with Gibson now, but there should still be a bunch out there.
                Oh yeah, I have found the Jazzmaster/offset shape to be actually really nice to sit with...definitely prefer the stylings of Vs and Warriors etc!

Comment

update, a store close by has a JS model I could at least try...do you think the fact that it's bolt-on would cause potential access issues where a neck thru wouldn't? The overall cutout looks the same to me

Comment

The answer to that one is both yes and no. All depends on you, and the actual design of each.

For example, I happen to like bolt ons and pickup rings because they give me a place to plant my fingers. Using it as leverage.
                    Ok, fine. I will never teach a master class on technique. But no one has ever questioned the end results.

My first neck thru had a really thick neck joint. I hated it.
                    But others, I have seen the body be thin to match the neck, and then the body thickens up.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                      The answer to that one is both yes and no. All depends on you, and the actual design of each.

For example, I happen to like bolt ons and pickup rings because they give me a place to plant my fingers. Using it as leverage.
                      Ok, fine. I will never teach a master class on technique. But no one has ever questioned the end results.

My first neck thru had a really thick neck joint. I hated it.
                      But others, I have seen the body be thin to match the neck, and then the body thickens up.
                      yeah I am trying to visualize if a bolt on would mean I'd need to bring my wrist forward more for reaches, possibly getting it stuck etc

Comment

The Warrior I had was a bolt-on, and was totally fine.

Comment

I'm in Colorado but I have the original #1 warrior pre 92 does anyone know anything about this guitar?

Comment

It is a neck through paint is "bolted Steel" I belive it's called a "WARTHOG"

Comment

Originally posted by Warthog View Post
                              I'm in Colorado but I have the original #1 warrior pre 92 does anyone know anything about this guitar?
                              The Custom Shop Warthog Warrior didn't come around until the early 2000s when the Warrior made its return. It would have the points chopped off and the actual graphic on it would be a Warthog. Bolted Steel is a totally different graphic by itself. Edit: Found a pic from NAMM 2003, and it seems the Warthog is over the bolted steel.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X