Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Well-Versed on the Nuts and Bolts of the San Dimas Era Guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Well-Versed on the Nuts and Bolts of the San Dimas Era Guitars?

Got this 85 Rhoads showing up tomorrow. My first Jackson! As you can tell from the pics below, it's not entirely original, and I'd like to get it back to "as it shipped" as I feasibly can.
    Here's what I've gathered so far, and any questions I have for the more experienced here:
    1. The original J-50N and J-80 are in the case, so I'll be reinstalling those
      • These would have had 500k pots right? Going to do neck volume, bridge volume, master tone, even though I think this would have shipped as master volume, neck tone, bridge tone
      • I'll measure with my calipers, but I understand the pots from this era would have been Alphas with a 6 mm solid shaft. Does that sound right?
        • If this is correct, I'll probably go with CTS. I have to swap all the pots anyway, and Alphas aren't offered with solid shafts anymore. 6 mm is slightly less than 1/4" though, so it's possible the original knobs won't fit (not sure on their measurements)
      • I'm not sure if these are the original knobs actually, and it looks like fretsonthenet doesn't carry them. I'll wing it on some set screw knurled dome knobs that look close, unless anyone can point me to some fairly accurate repros?
    2. That holder on the back of the headstock looks like it's for a Tremtool. As this is a Kahler, I can't seem to find one of the ones with the .050", 1/16", etc.
      • Anyone know where to acquire one of these Tremtools? If not, I'll use a hairdryer and maybe a little floss to remove the holder. Looks awful anyway
    3. That string lock looks, to me, like one of the Kahler 5514 "Deluxe" models, but missing its locking wedges
      • Would this guitar have shipped with this? From any other Dimas-era guitars I see, I'm guessing it would have come with a standard black 5513 string lock
    4. Anything else you guys notice? I'm really excited for this one. Kinda beat up, and it's an 85, so I don't get a three-piece neck, but it still has its nibs, and I've never seen Ferrari Red w/ Black pinstripes before
    amrp6uyefqtsst8xexco.jpg
    t1uez7qyfqx8wy2dosgj.jpg
    zpdrsevvqzfzxvibqdks.jpg
    ppwjdhz3eeswaag0rusr.jpg
    Last edited by neptoess; 09-15-2022, 11:00 AM.

I don't think the holder belongs on there and the kahler nuts change here and there, so who knows if it's factory or not (they used what was laying around a lot in those days)
    My 86 SD headstock

86 strat headstock.jpg
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Thanks John! If they were using the standard string lock in 1986, I'm guessing they would have in 1985 too, but you're definitely right about them using whatever was lying around back then.

Pg 8 here shows that all 3 locking solutions available today existed by 1989. I guess I get to investigate and see if it existed in 1985.
      https://www.whammyparts.com/images/P...%20Catalog.pdf

This is mostly for curiosity, to be honest. The 5513 and 5514 use the same mounting pattern, so I can honestly just buy one of each and never think about it again. I just hate how the 5514 looks. I also hate the entire idea of behind-the-nut string locks, but I'd probably regret having my luthier cut into the neck to put the proper 5521 locking nut on. Just like the binding nibs, I like the old school vibe more than I'm bothered by any functional deficiencies.

Comment

yeah don't even think about putting a locking nut on. keep the 5514 or swap down to 5513. if you have tuning problems at the nut (which you shouldn't... behind the nut locks are quite effective) either a) replace the nut and/or clamps, or b) put a graphtech nut or something on.

I feel like I've seen the pro lock on guitars older than 1985 but I don't have solid proof.

sick guitard by the way!

Comment

I’m not super worried about tuning issues at the nut to be honest. My Eric Johnson strat holds tune pretty well, and it’s a totally non-locking setup. If the strings are catching on the nut, I’ll just have my luthier touch up the slots or make me a new bone nut.

Now, the bridge might be a bit more involved if there are tuning issues there lol. Not super worried there either though. Replacement parts are readily available.

Comment

Showed up. Definitely not Ferrari Red. Almost like a crimson or something. Some of the dings were sloppily covered with what looks like red nail polish, so that’s kinda lame. I’ll see what my luthier says about getting it off.

The guitar definitely needed a setup, so I did that. The frets seem like they’ve never been leveled (22nd measures .045” high by .080” wide), and they definitely need it. Frets 3, 17, and 20 are low under the high E.

The string lock didn’t lock at all either. So I just took it off. Got a 5513 on the way, as well as some CTS pots, a Switchcraft output jack, and some black knobs

EDIT: Also, the tremtool holder peeled right off and didn’t leave any residue
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.
            Last edited by neptoess; 09-16-2022, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Update here. Took it to my favorite shop. They wet sanded and buffed the finish, which got rid of any evidence of the jenky nail polish touch up attempts. They also did a fret level and dress. A couple of the high frets had lifted on the treble side and needed glued + clamped. It plays great now.

Also swapped the string lock for a new 5513, had fretsonthenet make me an arrowhead truss rod cover (the original was full sized with the string lock mounted on top of it…), put new springs and rollers on the Kahler (not really necessary but oh well) and put the original J-50N and J-80 pickups back in it. They sound great. The guitar plays like a dream now.

Also, fun fact, the guitar has Dunlop strap lock buttons on it. They’re heavily worn, so I’m guessing they’re either original or were installed long ago, but they still work.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X