JCF-YCE Specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YetAnotherOne View Post

Had. Unless you've found another set. The ones I had listed on TGP I handed to Sully the other day in scenic Okmulgee, OK.

CL New Jersey recently had a set listed... or, at least, I am pretty sure it was the both of them.

Comment

Thanks Sully. 2 degrees does seem to make sense, but again I have no means to verify. I trust your experience as a luthier.

I am the author of https://jacksoncharvel.fandom.com/wiki/Shannon_Soloist. I have updated the "neck joint" specification from 4 degrees to 2 degrees. I wanted to be transparent because I have seen my page cited by others and do not want to perpetuate incorrect information.

I also apologize for taking this thread off track from its original topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
        I have been a Shannon Soloist owner since 2004 and have repeatedly regurgitated the "4-degree neck angle" terminology ever since, without ever fact-checking or verifying myself. If it turns out to be the incorrect number, I apologize for my part played in perpetuating an error. However, I have no means to measure the neck angle. I'm not certain a protractor (memories of grade school) would have a fine enough resolution to measure it.

Either way, I love angled necks!
        you can do it without a protractor using trigonometry, a long straight edge, and a ruler (or caliper/depth gauge) by seeing how much the top of the fretboard falls from the edge of the fretboard to the nut. put the straight edge flat of the top of guitar (this only works for flattop guitars) and measure the distance to one edge of the straightedge from each edge of the fingerboard. then the angle is arcsin(a/b) where a is the amount the fretboard drops that you measure, and b is the length of the fingerboard. e.g. if you measure 1 inch of drop for a, and you measure 19 inches for b (which is approximately what I would expect for a 25.5" scale guitar with 24 frets) then the resultant angle would be 3 degrees.

this procedure neglects the neck relief if you have the guitar strung up. but I would expect the relief to not affect that calculation TOO much (maybe a fraction of a degree)
        Last edited by metalhobo; 05-15-2022, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
          CL New Jersey recently had a set listed... or, at least, I am pretty sure it was the both of them.
          The Internet is nothing if not a vast great swirling sewer chock full of amazingly cool gear which it barfs up with regularity and at an alarming rate.
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Working...
          X