Jackson PC1 with Titanium "upgrades"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson PC1 with Titanium "upgrades"

I've been wanting a PC1 for a long time. The neck is amazing! I should have bought one years ago now that new prices are mid $4k. I came across a used 2012 that has titanium "upgrades." See pics. It's in excellent shape and babied. I would not be able to play on it before purchase as it is out of state.

What would you pay for it? What is the cost of the titanium parts? What to expect in regards to tone, staying in tune, intonation, playability, wearability etc? IMG_7698.jpg IMG_7697.jpg IMG_7694.jpg IMG_7696.jpg IMG_7695.jpg

Originally posted by DyersEve View Post
    I've been wanting a PC1 for a long time. The neck is amazing! I should have bought one years ago now that new prices are mid $4k. I came across a used 2012 that has titanium "upgrades." See pics. It's in excellent shape and babied. I would not be able to play on it before purchase as it is out of state.

What would you pay for it? What is the cost of the titanium parts? What to expect in regards to tone, staying in tune, intonation, playability, wearability etc? IMG_7698.jpg IMG_7697.jpg IMG_7694.jpg IMG_7696.jpg IMG_7695.jpg
    Headstock pics
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Screenshot_20211109-180241_Chrome.jpg

Comment

Looks great to me!
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Rick

Comment

That's one of the PC1s that Matt's Music is selling. Who ever owned it before put a whole ton of cash into Ti upgrades... well over $500-$600 in upgrades. (Full Fu-Tone Ti upgrade to an OFR is over $1,500.)
            With the Ti Parts the $3,500 price tag is justified. As for the tone changes... those are subjective. Ti block doesn't really add a lot of mass/density compared to a similar sized brass block.
            It will be slightly brighter in tone. I use stainless inserts, lock screws and lock nut on my PC1s. No difference in tone... looks better and more durable for sure.
            Intonation won't change with the upgraded parts.

If you want to save some cash, get the slightly dinged newer satin one for $2,499. The roasted necks on those are fantastic.
            Then spend the cash you saved and get a big brass block and stainless inserts and lock screws and still have $600-$700 in your pocket.
            Durable and the brass block sounds better in my opinion.
            -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              That's one of the PC1s that Matt's Music is selling. Who ever owned it before put a whole ton of cash into Ti upgrades... well over $500-$600 in upgrades. (Full Fu-Tone Ti upgrade to an OFR is over $1,500.)
              With the Ti Parts the $3,500 price tag is justified. As for the tone changes... those are subjective. Ti block doesn't really add a lot of mass/density compared to a similar sized brass block.
              It will be slightly brighter in tone. I use stainless inserts, lock screws and lock nut on my PC1s. No difference in tone... looks better and more durable for sure.
              Intonation won't change with the upgraded parts.

If you want to save some cash, get the slightly dinged newer satin one for $2,499. The roasted necks on those are fantastic.
              Then spend the cash you saved and get a big brass block and stainless inserts and lock screws and still have $600-$700 in your pocket.
              Durable and the brass block sounds better in my opinion.
              Thanks Rick! They used to have big necks, Thats all I know

Comment

Correct. It's on consignment at Matt's Music. I've been in contact with the store numerous times. Still trying to get it for the right price.

Comment

Correct. It's on consignment at Matt's Music. I've been in contact with the store numerous times. Still trying to get it for the right price.
                  The $3,500 PC1 may have some wiggle room on the price, but it really is priced fairly for the current market.
                  The dinged up PC1 is a steal at $2,499. The finish can be fixed or hell repaint the guitar.
                  If I weren't already working on a new build, I would have snapped it up already.
                  -Rick

Comment

The FU Tone parts all add up ... Phil C can install as he probably gets a discount and the parts are tax deductible lol

Titanium blocks alone start at $440 https://www.fu-tone.com/product/32mm...sustain-block/

I get the FU Tone Ti saddle inserts and screws for the old floyds on my vintage guitars - these replace the rusted steel parts as threads can seize up or the screws break etc. with Ti you can screw them tight without fear of breaking, so those parts are the best value.

I honestly can't see what a Ti claw does for tone etc. but hey, that PC1 is fully loaded / Collen-ized and sounds like its great value given that it's US made and high spec.

I've been eyeing this up in the UK .. the issue with the PC1 for me is no fret inlay markers.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/44007793-...mmaculate-ohsc
                    Last edited by Takemebackto84; 12-25-2021, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Takemebackto84 View Post
                      The FU Tone parts all add up ... Phil C can install as he probably gets a discount and the parts are tax deductible lol

Titanium blocks alone start at $440 https://www.fu-tone.com/product/32mm...sustain-block/

I get the FU Tone Ti saddle inserts and screws for the old floyds on my vintage guitars - these replace the rusted steel parts as threads can seize up or the screws break etc. with Ti you can screw them tight without fear of breaking, so those parts are the best value.

I honestly can't see what a Ti claw does for tone etc. but hey, that PC1 is fully loaded / Collen-ized and sounds like its great value given that it's US made and high spec.

I've been eyeing this up in the UK .. the issue with the PC1 for me is no fret inlay markers.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/44007793-...mmaculate-ohsc

A discount?!

As a celeb endorser, he no doubt gets them for free.

I cannot fathom the idea of spending $440 on a trem block. I've got a couple of ebay titanium blocks that were $70 and bring the characteristics of titanium. The only thing really noticeable is the dominant treble increase. Can easily be too much in a bright/low mass guitar, although helpful for a dark guitar.

I did buy a few titanium claws from FU as they are within the realm of sane pricing. The difference they make is very subtle, however. The block is #1. I suppose if someone wanted to go full gonzo, they would get an all titanium Floyd for $900! I would imagine that must bring a somewhat harsh tone in the upper ranges through a high gain amp.
                      '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
                      '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                      '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                      '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
                      '90 Charvel 475 XL
                      '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
                      Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
                      Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
                      Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Originally posted by Takemebackto84 View Post
                        and the parts are tax deductible lol
                        The parts are tax deductible for everyone... except people who give their music away for free.

My ass don't get paid in likes. Nor does my rent.

Comment

Working...
                        X