Appraisal/value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appraisal/value

hello all, it's been a long while since I've posted (or played!) Been dealing with some serious medical situations; trying to recover, and trying to avoid having to post this.
    But, I realize now that I'm going to have to start selling off all of my beloved gear after 30 years of playing...buying guitars, building my rig, perfecting my tone, etc.....

So...I'm looking for assistance with appraising this Jackson USA. I bought it, like new back in 1988 or 89 from original owner (guitarist in Crumsuckers). I painted over the original pink with acrylic paint( seems easy to remove.) Switched out the pup with a SD Invader, and still have original. The whammy bar snapped off inside the insert hole.
    So...original USA Jackson. Definitely needs some TLC, or complete resto. But no major damage/issues. Sweet neck and ivory fretboard.
    So...what's she worth? What would be a fair asking price? Prob looking to list locally, as I've no case for it.
    Thank you in advance....
    jackson album hosted in ImgBB

We've seen this guitar posted before.
    I believe my opinion was - since the original finish is already fucked and will never come back, go get a good clear coat over the vomit finish.

edit/add-on:
    You were told under $1000 in your previous posting (2017-2020)
    https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...-this-jackson/
    And I certainly believe it to still be true today.
    Last edited by pianoguyy; 09-21-2021, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kenbossart View Post
      So...what's she worth? What would be a fair asking price? Prob looking to list locally,

You are selling at a bad time.
      First of all, you want to sell locally. Depending on where you are, that could mean prices as low $20 at a yard sale.

But also....
      CoVid
      It doesn't matter whether you believe "the deadliest bug of all time" or you believe "a little flu that the governments used to seize control of its people".
      See, CoVid was great for the used market. Particularly higher end / unique pieces. Notice the word was.
      No one worked, everyone had time to kill. Nothing was open, which meant we had to sit in our homes.
      No one had to pay rent. No one had to pay student loans. Car insurance companies issued refunds and discounts because no one was driving.
      People were given unemployment equivalent to 100% of their income, with some people getting $600 a week on top of that. Plus, every couple months they gave us a couple grand. Not to mention that you couldn't buy new products because stores and factories and warehouses were all shut down.
      Money was flowing.
      The used market boomed like mad. I sold guitars in 2020 for 2x what I couldn't sell them for in 2019. I sold guitars that I had no intentions of selling simply because the prices were so obscene.
      It was crazy.

However, the free money era is over.

People are going back to work (aka, earning their money). People need to pay rent again. Gas prices are up. Food prices are up. Supply issues... and so on and so forth.

No one is buying used instruments. Or new instruments.
      My sales have stopped. I don't even get emails from dot heads wanting to pay me double my asking price as long as I am willing to accept a check and ship it via private currier.
      I just picked up a GLP for $600 after nobody bought it at $750 for 3 weeks. The past year, easily $1000 (maybe even 1200-1400) with a 24 hour turnaround. Today - not so much.

If you're smart, you will sell your house before you sell your guitars.
      Live in a hotel. Wait for the market to bust. Buy a better home for less money.

Comment

Originally posted by kenbossart View Post
        hello all, it's been a long while since I've posted (or played!) Been dealing with some serious medical situations; trying to recover, and trying to avoid having to post this.
        But, I realize now that I'm going to have to start selling off all of my beloved gear after 30 years of playing...buying guitars, building my rig, perfecting my tone, etc.....

So...I'm looking for assistance with appraising this Jackson USA. I bought it, like new back in 1988 or 89 from original owner (guitarist in Crumsuckers). I painted over the original pink with acrylic paint( seems easy to remove.) Switched out the pup with a SD Invader, and still have original. The whammy bar snapped off inside the insert hole.
        So...original USA Jackson. Definitely needs some TLC, or complete resto. But no major damage/issues. Sweet neck and ivory fretboard.
        So...what's she worth? What would be a fair asking price? Prob looking to list locally, as I've no case for it.
        Thank you in advance....
        It's worth the price someone will pay. Put it up for bid on ebay, starting at 1.00 and then you will know it's worth, I wouldn't pay more than 400. for it. Theres nothing special about it like being a San Dimas (true 86 strat) and like the other said its ugly and would need more work than you could sell it for anyway. Best chance of selling it, is to an Idiot or someone that can fix it. The
        idiot might pay more the person that can fix it would be in the 400-500 range.

Sorry about your health but it doesn't effect the value of the guitar. Needs a total over haul, bridge, nut, paint ect. You're talking around a grand just for those three thing's
        Last edited by john.w.lawson; 09-21-2021, 03:32 PM.
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Too bad I'm in France, I would have been interested !

Comment

Working...
          X