Anyone using a PC1 with a Helix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
    does the helix have an input meter? if so see if both guitars are pushing the same level of input. If input is lower on pc-1 it could have an eletrical issue. if levels are close it could be the eq of the patches verses the eq of the guitar pickups. can also be some of the interaction between your monitors and the guitar, this one always gets me when playing through pa type monitors instead of a cab.
    The sustainer is working fine, no problems there. Input meter was similar across both guitars last time I looked but I will check that again.

I am playing through some Alto flat response PA type speakers, which to be fair, sound okay with the JS32, so I don't know what I can do differently with the PC1
    in that regard. I messed with all this last night looking for a solution and now I'm wondering if the speakers are not the best choice and somehow causing this.
    I might be clutching at straws but they are big speakers on low volume, although the Helix output is turned up. Instinctively I'm thinking I need smaller speakers
    that I can turn up a bit. Those Alto's were recommended on the Helix forum when I bought them a few years back.

Comment

Following on from my issue above, I want to ask fellow PC1 users, how does your guitar sound compared to other guitars you own? Is it more aggressive
      because that seems to be the reputation of the guitar with that super 3 Dimarzio, so high gain sounds should be easy to do. That's where I have the problem,
      my PC1 sounds less aggressive than my £350 JS32!

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

It does, I'm sure. A sustainer doesn't work with normal pickups though, they are specially wound with less wire. I suppose it could be either of the mentioned Ideals OP's and yours. I don't use digital (modeling) equipment, I think they sound dry, but that's just my opinion.
        I've had a number of line 6 pedal boards and played them with multiple guitars with boost and other boards with no problems.
        The only pickup that is different in a PC1 is the sustainer driver.
        The Super 3 and the HS-2 are standard off the shelf DiMarzios.
        The sustainer board does darken the Super 3 a bit compared to one wired traditionally, but it is negligible.
        The sustainer board used in the PC1 hasn't changed since Rev C in 1998. They have a new manufacturer, but it's still the same Rev C design.
        Low or dead batteries have no impact on the tone when the unit is switched off as it is in bypass mode by default. You can run one with no batteries in it at all.
        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post

The only pickup that is different in a PC1 is the sustainer driver.
          The Super 3 and the HS-2 are standard off the shelf DiMarzios.
          The sustainer board does darken the Super 3 a bit compared to one wired traditionally, but it is negligible.
          The sustainer board used in the PC1 hasn't changed since Rev C in 1998. They have a new manufacturer, but it's still the same Rev C design.
          Low or dead batteries have no impact on the tone when the unit is switched off as it is in bypass mode by default. You can run one with no batteries in it at all.
          I already know the super three is stock and the middle, kind of my point. Good to see you though
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulzx View Post
            Following on from my issue above, I want to ask fellow PC1 users, how does your guitar sound compared to other guitars you own? Is it more aggressive
            because that seems to be the reputation of the guitar with that super 3 Dimarzio, so high gain sounds should be easy to do. That's where I have the problem,
            my PC1 sounds less aggressive than my £350 JS32!
            The Super 3 is a darker pickup compared to the stock CVR pickups used in a JS32. I happen to own a JS32RT and the first thing I did was toss the stock pickups in the bin. I thought they were to shrill and lifeless. They were louder than the Super 3, but I wouldn't call them more aggressive.
            It's now running a Evo set. Now that is an "aggressive" set of pickups.

How "aggressive" a guitar sounds will depend entirely on what you're running it through.
            Last edited by rjohnstone; 09-03-2021, 01:47 PM.
            -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

I already know the super three is stock and the middle, kind of my point. Good to see you though
              Good to see you too... been a while since I've been back.
              I guess I misunderstood your comment.

-Rick

Comment

Good to see you too... been a while since I've been back.
                I guess I misunderstood your comment.
                Yeah, Since I said they are wound with less wire, that's totally understandable. But yeah the pickup that uses a sustainer is the single neck pickup and it's wound with less wire. I'm sure you use modeling gear and it doesn't effect your PC-1, right? At least not like sounding dead?
                I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I think it's also worth mentioning the fact the people's perceptions of "high gain sound" can vary wildly. so if the OP has a recording of the patch with the JS32 vs. with PC1 that could go a long way towards determining whether there's actually something wrong or not.

Comment

The Super 3 is a darker pickup compared to the stock CVR pickups used in a JS32. I happen to own a JS32RT and the first thing I did was toss the stock pickups in the bin. I thought they were to shrill and lifeless. They were louder than the Super 3, but I wouldn't call them more aggressive.
                    It's now running a Evo set. Now that is an "aggressive" set of pickups.

How "aggressive" a guitar sounds will depend entirely on what you're running it through.
                    Interesting.. well my JS32 sounds beefier than my pc1 and both guitars are stock so this confused me a bit because I know the JS32s are only standard budget jackson pickups.

I think my idea of what the super 3 should sound like is probably not accurate. When I read reviews of the pc1, people describe it as an aggressive, dark sounding guitar but compared to my other cheaper
                    Guitars, it sounds brittle and top end, not dark at all.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                      I think it's also worth mentioning the fact the people's perceptions of "high gain sound" can vary wildly. so if the OP has a recording of the patch with the JS32 vs. with PC1 that could go a long way towards determining whether there's actually something wrong or not.
                      Having spent the last few days tinkering with everything possible, I've come to the conclusion there's nothing wrong with the pc1... it's me!

Well partly me, unrealistic expectations, wrong perception of how this guitar sounds etc. I think a combination of strings that are too bright and thin, speakers that are not positioned optimally,
                      and perhaps the biggest culprit.. the Line 6 Helix, are the real issue here.

Don't get me wrong, the helix is a fantastic bit of kit, for any versatile guitarist it's perfect but for someone like me who is constantly looking for fantastic sounding high gain tones with a lot
                      Of saturated distortion, it doesn't live up to my expectation. It can make any guitar sound fizzy with high gain but I like thicker more ballsy tones and either I don't know how to get that out of the Helix or it just can't do it authentically.

I think I need to accept that the guitar tones I listen to on records or live shows just can't really be reproduced accurately on a Helix, yet I'm quite sure if I handed my pc1 to Phil Collen and he played it through his live rig it would sound epic!

Thanks for all the info on the guitar though from everyone. After reading that it was obvious the guitar wasn't at fault.

Comment

If all guitars sounded the same there would be no reason for other guitars. Record tones and live tones also have mic tone, mic preamp tone, and post editing, if you record your rig and add post effects then you will sound like the record. Have you ever played through just a tube amp? if so you would know it sounds nothing like recorded tones, or modeler tones for that matter. even modelers do not get you that pro studio album tone with out multi tracking, and post editing.

Comment

I run my PC1 and pretty much every guitar I own, through a Headrush Pedalboard 95% of the time... They all have their patch that brings out the best in each of them.
                          I only have about 2 or 3 patches are what I would consider universal, meaning no matter the guitar I plug in, it will sound decent.
                          Your Helix is not the issue, just whatever particular patch you're using.
                          -Rick

Comment

I run my PC1 and pretty much every guitar I own, through a Headrush Pedalboard 95% of the time... They all have their patch that brings out the best in each of them.
                            I only have about 2 or 3 patches are what I would consider universal, meaning no matter the guitar I plug in, it will sound decent.
                            Your Helix is not the issue, just whatever particular patch you're using.
                            I do the same, patches for each guitar etc. The Helix is still causing me a slight issue in that I've never really settled on a way to make my high gain patches pleasing. They're okay but not as good as I would like, but that's a separate issue!

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
                              If all guitars sounded the same there would be no reason for other guitars. Record tones and live tones also have mic tone, mic preamp tone, and post editing, if you record your rig and add post effects then you will sound like the record. Have you ever played through just a tube amp? if so you would know it sounds nothing like recorded tones, or modeler tones for that matter. even modelers do not get you that pro studio album tone with out multi tracking, and post editing.
                              Yeah I know all of that, that's not my point. The point was that my very expensive pc1 doesn't sound as good as my cheapest guitar, or any of my other guitars! The reputation of the guitar as being hot and aggressive doesn't stack up with what I'm hearing. It plays super nicely and feels like a top quality instrument, but as it is right now, it sounds like it's running on 75%.

I've learned to live with it for the time being.

Comment

Have a guitar tech take a look, there could be an issue. Not always though are good guitars the loudest, highest gain. Many very expensive guitars have low output. not always is the expensive guitar the best for you either. I have close to 100 Charvel guitars, from U.S.A, custom shop, limited run, model series, Promods, and my favorite is an 88' model 2 that is all beat up, and been repaired many times.

Comment

Working...
                                X