No announcement yet.

Pawn shop score: 1990 SL1 (fixer-upper)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pawn shop score: 1990 SL1 (fixer-upper)

Decided to drop by the pawn shop, and I was immediately drawn to the "Jackson MADE IN U.S.A" and the price tag of three digits. Serial number U00271. It seems to have been modified quite a bit. Changed to HH configuration, controls simplified, heel and horn scalloped, neck finish stripped, body refinished in some white primer finish. Of course I jumped on it to be the canvas for my dreams.

Action's a bit jacked up. What's this bridge, it seems to be a JT-590?

Anyone know a good shop on the East Coast for graphic refinishes?

It looks like the 590. And the 590 would be period correct.

Comment

Nice find bro! What bridge pickup is that ,do u know? I got a good custom shop here, works with Jackson painters , i could get it repainted if the price of guitar was not much

Comment

Haven't had the chance to remove the strings to check the pickup. I'm already planning on switching them out to Super Distortion / PAF. I'm also torn about getting the middle routed out again if there's space. Edit, it doesn't looks like there's room for a middle hum.

A little more research and it seems the scalloped heel at least is a feature on early Nineties Soloists like mine. The scalloped horn, though, only seems to have been a thing on Fusions, and those are only bolt-ons. It also doesn't seem to be a factory job.

Let's just say I got the guitar for less than the refinish will probably cost. It does look like the best refinish guys for Jackson are in California, makes sense. Now the question is what finish? Pink crackle, zebra, Lightning Sky, the latter two being glow-in-the-dark?
        Last edited by DesolationBlvd; 07-17-2021, 07:39 PM.

Comment

SCORE!!!

Congratulations!!

Comment

That is awesome. Keep us updated with the work being done on it.

A 1990 Soloist would have been a catalog/production model called the Soloist, not the SL1. Check the 1990 catalog, page 23 of 31 of this PDF: https://downloads.ctfassets.net/4jcp...91-catalog.pdf

The Soloist evolved into the Soloist Custom by 1993, and the SL1 in 1996-present. Essentially the same guitar/lineage, with slightly different hardware and electronics as the names evolved.

1990 Soloist: Jackson J-50BC bridge pickup, Jackson J-200 middle/neck pickups, JE-1200 midrange control, Jackson/Schaller JT590 tremolo
            1993 Soloist Custom: Bill Lawrence L-500XL bridge pickup, Jackson J-100 middle/neck pickups, JE-1200 midrange control, Jackson/Schaller JT590 tremolo
            1996 SL1: Seymour Duncan TB-4 JB bridge pickup, Seymour Duncan STK-1 Classic Stack middle/neck pickups, no active electronics, Original Floyd Rose tremolo

Comment

If I see something like that in a pawn shop it's going home with me too! Damn nice score and a worthy project!

Definitely post pics when it's done!

Comment

Originally posted by DesolationBlvd View Post
                Haven't had the chance to remove the strings to check the pickup. I'm already planning on switching them out to Super Distortion / PAF. I'm also torn about getting the middle routed out again if there's space. Edit, it doesn't looks like there's room for a middle hum.

A little more research and it seems the scalloped heel at least is a feature on early Nineties Soloists like mine. The scalloped horn, though, only seems to have been a thing on Fusions, and those are only bolt-ons. It also doesn't seem to be a factory job.

Let's just say I got the guitar for less than the refinish will probably cost. It does look like the best refinish guys for Jackson are in California, makes sense. Now the question is what finish? Pink crackle, zebra, Lightning Sky, the latter two being glow-in-the-dark?
                GMW guitar works can do it all. Glow in the dark crackle?Pink sparkle? No problem. He quoted me $100 paint removal and $500 to paint it silver sparkle. HIs work is bar none https://www.facebook.com/GmwGuitarWorks

Comment

GMW guitar works can do it all. Glow in the dark crackle?Pink sparkle? No problem. Regarding if i bought a Jackson USA, He quoted me $100 paint removal and $500-600 to paint it silver sparkle. HIs work is bar none . He also is authorized to redo Jackson logo decals, its who Jackson forwards people to. https://www.facebook.com/GmwGuitarWorks

Comment

I was considering GMW Guitar Works, but read in his additional information on his Facebook page "The new focus for GMW is building custom guitars rather than refurbishing guitars from outside suppliers, which I no longer do." Then again, seeing the very recent pictures of Jackson guitars being restored on said Facebook page, I'm now confused. Is he still taking in restorations, or is that just his backlog?

As for finishes, I'm narrowing it down. I nixed the crackle plans, I want a classic Jackson graphic, but with one request of my own. The front-runners are Lightning Sky (except the lightning glows in the dark) and Bikini Beach (except the babe is a redhead), but I'm still brainstorming.

And as for the aftermarket scalloped horn, I thought it was way too deep, until I realized that Soloists had deeper cutaways than Fusions and Dinkies to begin with. I also just realized that the 1990 Jackson USA Soloist would have had EMG style routing, and so I will probably make this my EMG guitar.

Comment

I was considering GMW Guitar Works, but read in his additional information on his Facebook page "The new focus for GMW is building custom guitars rather than refurbishing guitars from outside suppliers, which I no longer do." Then again, seeing the very recent pictures of Jackson guitars being restored on said Facebook page, I'm now confused. Is he still taking in restorations, or is that just his backlog?

As for finishes, I'm narrowing it down. I nixed the crackle plans, I want a classic Jackson graphic, but with one request of my own. The front-runners are Lightning Sky (except the lightning glows in the dark) and Bikini Beach (except the babe is a redhead), but I'm still brainstorming.

And as for the aftermarket scalloped horn, I thought it was way too deep, until I realized that Soloists had deeper cutaways than Fusions and Dinkies to begin with. I also just realized that the 1990 Jackson USA Soloist would have had EMG style routing, and so I will probably make this my EMG guitar.
                      Thats a conflicting statement. I think it will do it on a 1 to 1 basis if you email him. Since his quote to me was recent and his latest pics are newly painted guitars. I sent him another message. I think he probably means he doesn't fix guitars , ie restoration. (Unless its part of a repaint quote)

Btw are you in California? Cuz i don't know if he takes shipped guitars

Comment

Originally posted by DanzoStrife View Post

Thats a conflicting statement. I think it will do it on a 1 to 1 basis if you email him. Since his quote to me was recent and his latest pics are newly painted guitars. I sent him another message. I think he probably means he doesn't fix guitars , ie restoration. (Unless its part of a repaint quote)

Btw are you in California? Cuz i don't know if he takes shipped guitars
                        Ouch, I'm not in CA. And it also sounds like restoring the routes is a restoration...

Comment

Ouch, I'm not in CA. And it also sounds like restoring the routes is a restoration...
                          Hm i think that description was probably there awhile. But its obvious he keep that, because he probably needs the money and he gets far more consistent income with painting guitars than selling new ones.

Comment

But remember -
                            $500 for a crackle is no where close to a Bikini Beach.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                              But remember -
                              $500 for a crackle is no where close to a Bikini Beach.
                              His airbrushing is quite good, probably an easy job at least compared to these that he does . He says he does hand airbrushing, no screen prints..

Hellraiser:
                              http://www.gmwguitars.com/Graphics%20Archive/G312.jpg

Sphinx

Comment

Working...
                              X