Replacing frets on DK-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing frets on DK-1

I have a fetish, I want to put stainless steel frets in my Dinky DK-1. Is there any fear that this will spoil Jackson's inimitable tone?

there's always a chance that changing anything on a guitar will "spoil" the tone, whether that be a real measurable change or something that's just in your head. I've never had a stainless steel refret so I can't provide any direct experience but I do have great-sounding guitars with stainless steel frets, so I would not expect that stainless steel frets would be any tonal detriment.

from reading the accounts of those who have done refrets from nickel to stainless steel, the opinions range from "no change" to "slightly brighter." compared to other factors of your tone (pickups, pedals, amp settings, etc.) I would rate these possible changes as low in effect.

oh, and I'm waiting on a CS dinky that's coming from the factory with SS frets, so once I get it I'll let you know if the inimitable tone is there.
    Last edited by metalhobo; 07-10-2021, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Do you mind the tone change from open strings to fretted? If not it should not be an issue.

Comment

I have several custom shop Dinkys that I had built. All have stainless frets. I don't notice any difference tonally compared to other Jacksons that I own with nickel frets. The big difference is in the feel. They are really slick. Very nice to play IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
          Do you mind the tone change from open strings to fretted? If not it should not be an issue.
          Good answer) thanks

Comment

I am thinking of refretting my Dinky with stainless as well.

Are you going to find a local luthier, or send the neck off to a specialized stainless refret shop like Aperio Guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by PNWmusic View Post
              I am thinking of refretting my Dinky with stainless as well.

Are you going to find a local luthier, or send the neck off to a specialized stainless refret shop like Aperio Guitar?
              I found a local guitar luthier. This is a great workshop. When they send me a guitar I will share my opinion

Comment

I finally did it. Luthiers replaced the frets with stainless steel frets on my DK-1. This is great! The guitar has definitely started to sound better, but I think it's because of the total tuning in the first place. The new frets definitely don't make the sound worse. The guitar sounds great.

Comment

Working...
                X