Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was told by Jackson dealer RR1 has an Les Paul neck according to Randy'specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diablomozart View Post
    1. yes
    2. no...just because i prefer thin necks doesn't mean you or anyone else should...phil collen's jacksons supposedly have necks thicker than a les paul and he loves them

the problem with answering your questions is that the answers you seek are subjective...every player is different, every player has unique likes and dislikes, therefore there is no catchall solution that will work for everyone...i played c/j for decades, i only switched to ibanez because i could find the old ones for cheap and they are solid workhorse guitars for the money (i do own a jem 7vwh as well but honestly i rarely play it)...the c/j's i always favored were the ones mike shannon referred to as the "warren d necks", wide, flat and thin and there were a number of custom shops made with that (as is my 89 gc anniversary usa dinky)....looking at your past guitars, you've been kind of all over the place in neck thickness and shape...in the end you have to sit down and decide what you like...no-one else can do that for you as that is a personal preference...it could be a jackson, could be a paul reed smith, could ne just about anything really...many many great choices for guitars out there...some questions only personal experience can answer...do i still love usa custom c/j's? yeah, they're beautifully created instruments that sound and play great, but as i get older i'd rather have instruments that i wont get mad about dinging them...no i dont think you'll be disappointed in an rr1, but i can't know for sure (personally i prefer bolt-on necks)...d.m.
    Yea figured its always gonna be subjective, obviously.
    Although I've been around, it was only because Jackson were always otu of reach to me, financial situations or when Jackson were out of stock from what I wanted. From every Jackson I've tried, I fell in love with the neck at first feel, but also it looks proportionally more aesthetic as well. From all angles, the Jackson neck looks better than the LTD that's "copying" it.

BTW, Fender rep just got back to me and quoted that any recent Jackson RR1's will be set to standard neck specs to other Jacksons , or else the catalog for other years.

Edit: Jackson friend (dealer) of mine also just admitted he has small hands. Ok now everything feels chunky to him , Now I get it.
    Last edited by DanzoStrife; 05-27-2021, 11:44 PM.

Comment

hahahah...my first jackson was a usa series soloist (bikini beach...hey it was what was available at the time)...and it was kind of a revelation at the time...i envy you the feeling when you get your first one...relish in that moment as certain things never happen twice in life...d.m.
      http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Originally posted by DanzoStrife View Post

Ok now I have to ask. When you said "Rhoads' Do u mean PRE RR1 model?
        well... yeah

Comment

From all angles, the Jackson neck looks better than the LTD that's "copying" it.
          I liked the neck in my Alexi. Felt very close to a Jackson. The Eclipse feels nothing like a Jackson.
          *If you think about it, it is odd that the Alexi felt like a Jackson and not more like a Rhoads - considering that whole debacle with the RR24.

Edit: Jackson friend (dealer) of mine also just admitted he has small hands. Ok now everything feels chunky to him , Now I get it.
          I started played as a child. Small hands grew. But the neck size did not.
          Last edited by pianoguyy; 05-28-2021, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by diablomozart View Post
            hahahah...my first jackson was a usa series soloist (bikini beach...hey it was what was available at the time)...and it was kind of a revelation at the time...i envy you the feeling when you get your first one...relish in that moment as certain things never happen twice in life...d.m.
            my first is pictured right over there
            <<<======

I had a deal with another brand at the time. Yet, this is the one I didn't sell.
            In fact, when I sold everything, all I kept was Frankenstein and the Jackson Soloist I got with Kandi Barbour - because, technically, it wasn't mine to sell.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

well... yeah
              That's the whole point of the thread lol. That's why I titled it "RR1."
              I was talking RR1 but people kept bringing up other guitars. The point was the dealer was saying his 2006-2012 RR1's were too chunky, but according to specs and Fender, they are the same necks as all the other Jacksons (minus speed necks). If we don't include custom orders , late 80s , and JFC-1s.

Then it was concluded he didnt measure anything or even remember if those guitars were RR1s or not lol.

Comment

That's the whole point of the thread lol. That's why I titled it "RR1."
                Many people don't know one from the other. But is also why I specified in my first response:
                Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                Rhoads of old (not RR1) definitely had a much thicker neck than the rest of the Jackson line.
                Unlike others with more knowledge - I don't actually know that they made design changes between the names Rhoads and RR1. I simply assume that they were making more and more guitars in varying degrees of quality and decided to start using the terms Rhoads/Soloist/Dinky to mean the shape, and gave each numbers with the USAs being number 1 (RR1, SL1, DK1). Sure, they all have had tweaks through the years, but I don't know that they changed anything specifically from 1995/Rhoads to 1996/RR1

Comment

There's still some disagreement on if its a D or a C shape.
                  I'm thinking 9 outta 10 people will call it a C shape. The 1 other guy may say it's between a C and D.

96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post

I'm thinking 9 outta 10 people will call it a C shape. The 1 other guy may say it's between a C and D.
                    Is the C shape different than other makers? Like wider fretboard? Thinner/flatter? How is thumb placement resting over the top of the neck? The MII with a D soloist shoulder is quite flat so u can rest it there

Comment

How is upper fret access on that RR1 of yours? Not sure if i'm too spoiled on the soloist access. If there's adjustment I will simply get used to it.

Comment

Is the C shape different than other makers? Like wider fretboard? Thinner/flatter? How is thumb placement resting over the top of the neck? The MII with a D soloist shoulder is quite flat so u can rest it there
                        I don't have any useful info on comparing it to other necks. The few guitars I had before were mostly crappy and I don't even remember them.
                        Until you mentioned it: I didn't realise my thumb stays on the back of the neck almost always. Is that weird? lol

I don't have a Rhoads, just a SL2H and SL2HT...which apparently have the same neck dimensions.

96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I don't have any useful info on comparing it to other necks. The few guitars I had before were mostly crappy and I don't even remember them.
                          Until you mentioned it: I didn't realise my thumb stays on the back of the neck almost always. Is that weird? lol

I don't have a Rhoads, just a SL2H and SL2HT...which apparently have the same neck dimensions.
                          If you don't have an RR or a Rhoads then what are u referencing that they are the same? You owned one in the past, borrowed from a friend, or went to a store to try one? Which model did u try? Thanks

Comment

My Soloists have the same neck profiles as the Rhoads of the last 20+ years.

Comment

My Soloists have the same neck profiles as the Rhoads of the last 20+ years.
                              Then what Jacksons have D profile necks? Mine appears to be flatter on the back, and the sides are flat making it a D.

Yea Fender support also told me they use the same speed necks on Rhoads as Soloists, unless custom orders.

Comment

historically the speed neck was usually only "stock" on king v's, kellys, and warriors. not sure what they're doing now.

one thing I found which I thought interesting was that virtually every charvel on the website right now is listed as having a "speed neck" back profile. no dimensions are listed. not sure if this is the same back profile as the jackson "speed neck"

Comment

Working...
                                X