Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was told by Jackson dealer RR1 has an Les Paul neck according to Randy'specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fender don't even know their own models.
    I think if you go back and start reading from the first post your answers may be answered.

Import and USA necks are different. The D is a speed neck.
    A speed neck on a import RR or Soloist wouldn't surprise me, but on a USA RR or Soloist from the last 20 years, that'd likely be a Custom.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by DanzoStrife View Post

Then what Jacksons have D profile necks? Mine appears to be flatter on the back, and the sides are flat making it a D.

Yea Fender support also told me they use the same speed necks on Rhoads as Soloists, unless custom orders.
      Rhoads guitars were the first Jacksons produced. There was no standard that defined a “Jackson neck”. Rhoads spec’d the “Concorde”, and the Black V. They had different neck profiles.

The only specs that Rhoads provided for the RR1 was the concept for the body shape, the general design, and his name. The Floyd, neck shape, pickups for the RR1 were chosen by Jackson.

On top of that, until probably 85/86 there were no specs on Charvels or Jacksons. They were all one off and they varied. Significantly.

There are 4 standard neck carves that Jackson USA has used for some time now:
      • .750” @ 3rd, .810” @ 12th << This is the Dinky neck profile
      • .775” @ 3rd, .835” @ 12th << This is the speed neck profile
      • .790” @ 3rd, .850 @12th << Soloist & RR1 profile
      • The Kelly has a profile that is something like .775”-.850”
      Soloists and RR1s DO NOT get the speed neck unless they are specifically ordered that way. In other words the standard Soloist/RR1 neck is not a speed neck.

As for whether a neck profile is a “C” or a “D”. The problem is that Jackson doesn’t specify what shape they think a neck profile is. So we are left with just our opinions. You know the saying about opinions right? There is not a definitive answer to this question.

For what it’s worth, in my opinion the Dinky neck is a D, the speed neck is on the line of C/D, and the Soloist/RR1 is a C.
      Last edited by CaptNasty; 05-31-2021, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
        Rhoads guitars were the first Jacksons produced. There was no standard that defined a “Jackson neck”. Rhoads spec’d the “Concorde”, and the Black V. They had different neck profiles.

The only specs that Rhoads provided for the RR1 was the concept for the body shape, the general design, and his name. The Floyd, neck shape, pickups for the RR1 were chosen by Jackson.

On top of that, until probably 85/86 there were no specs on Charvels or Jacksons. They were all one off and they varied. Significantly.

There are 4 standard neck carves that Jackson USA has used for some time now:
        • .750” @ 3rd, .810” @ 12th << This is the Dinky neck profile
        • .775” @ 3rd, .835” @ 12th << This is the speed neck profile
        • .790” @ 3rd, .850 @12th << Soloist & RR1 profile
        • The Kelly has a profile that is something like .775”-.850”
        Soloists and RR1s DO NOT get the speed neck unless they are specifically ordered that way. In other words the standard Soloist/RR1 neck is not a speed neck.

As for whether a neck profile is a “C” or a “D”. The problem is that Jackson doesn’t specify what shape they think a neck profile is. So we are left with just our opinions. You know the saying about opinions right? There is not a definitive answer to this question.

For what it’s worth, in my opinion the Dinky neck is a D, the speed neck is on the line of C/D, and the Soloist/RR1 is a C.
        Thanks for the clear explanation man. MY MII Sl2Q MAH is around the typical 3rd fret measurement of 19mm or .748 on the 3rd and 12th fret measurement of 21.5mm or .846, with calipers the the ticker goes somewhere halfway between the 1st tick after the 20. But these were intended for bodyfat measurements, and not as super accurate.

All of these neck profiles sound pretty thin and slick to me. I'm likely over thinking it! Basically going from my Mii Soloist to a USA RR1 is likely little change.

Comment

Originally posted by DanzoStrife View Post

Thanks for the clear explanation man. MY MII Sl2Q MAH is around the typical 3rd fret measurement of 19mm or .748 on the 3rd and 12th fret measurement of 21.5mm or .846, with calipers the the ticker goes somewhere halfway between the 1st tick after the 20. But these were intended for bodyfat measurements, and not as super accurate.

All of these neck profiles sound pretty thin and slick to me. I'm likely over thinking it! Basically going from my Mii Soloist to a USA RR1 is likely little change.
          Yeah, none of these modern profiles are big or chunky!

The poly finish can make it feel a bit thicker, but it is no thick Les Paul neck.

But you brought up “slicker”. I find that Jacksons oiled necks are the slickest (and in my opinion best feeling) they produce. You can order any neck through with an oiled neck (no paint, no clearcoat, just TruOil). The Dinky bolt-on is also an oiled neck.

Jackson offers two kinds of clearcoat finish: Eurethane (Spar Eurethane) and Polyeurethane. Spar Eurethane topcoat is a bit thinner than Poly. Spar Eurethane is a $300 upgrade and is required by Jackson on some colors (e.g. Snow White) because it is more resistant to fading and yellowing due to its better protection against UV.

But in my opinion, the real win with Spar Eurethane is that it does not feel plasticy/sticky when your hands heat up and start sweating. I have a USA Select Soloist with poly finish and that plastic/sticky feel drives me nuts!

All of my custom ordered Jacksons have the spar eurthane clear coat on the paint. Also all but one of my custom order necks are oiled. My Platinum Pink Soloist has a painted neck and Spar Eurethane top coat and is the only finished neck I have ever enjoyed playing.
          Last edited by CaptNasty; 06-02-2021, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Yeah, none of these modern profiles are big or chunky!

The poly finish can make it feel a bit thicker, but it is no thick Les Paul neck.

But you brought up “slicker”. I find that Jacksons oiled necks are the slickest (and in my opinion best feeling) they produce. You can order any neck through with an oiled neck (no paint, no clearcoat, just TruOil). The Dinky bolt-on is also an oiled neck.

Jackson offers two kinds of clearcoat finish: Eurethane (Spar Eurethane) and Polyeurethane. Spar Eurethane topcoat is a bit thinner than Poly. Besides more slippery, it feels different in a way I can't describe.
            Spar Eurethane is a $300 upgrade and is required by Jackson on some colors (e.g. Snow White) because it is more resistant to fading and yellowing due to its better protection against UV.

But in my opinion, the real win with Spar Eurethane is that it does not feel plasticy/sticky when your hands heat up and start sweating. I have a USA Select Soloist with poly finish and that plastic/sticky feel drives me nuts!

All of my custom ordered Jacksons have the spar eurthane clear coat on the paint. Also all but one of my custom order necks are oiled. My Platinum Pink Soloist has a painted neck and Spar Eurethane top coat and is the only finished neck I have ever enjoyed playing.
            Hmm u know what? The LTD coating is very slippery compared to the Jackson coating at least to my MII SL2Q MAH. It's immediate how different the coating feels on a standard automobile type finish LTD/ESP. But I have to say, I would probably still be fine with a Poly neck. My sweat doesn't get sticky like other people , nor do I sweat that much in my hands. But yea, surely I'll consider it if I do a custom order! So I hope they are using Spar Eurethane on the new RR3 Ivory rhoads? Those RR5s that I see look piss yellow on ebay/Reverb by now. Ivory is good but I can't stand piss yellow. I'd take sports car yellow or Ivory just not piss!

Other notes: Well I'm pretty dang positive people buy Jackson because of the neck, that is the common denominator, as everyone has a different taste in the bodies available. I'm 100% certain after owning this MII Jackson right now, there's no debate whether I'll like the neck or not, especially since I've been exposed to worse necks and played them.
            Last edited by DanzoStrife; 06-03-2021, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Just ran across some things online related to the original Rhoads Vs. This may be where your shop owner got the idea that the neck on the RR1 was thick. Around 2009 Mike Shannon was given access to the 2 original Rhoads Concordes (the white and black ones). They took detailed measurements:

GALLERY: Randy Rhoads' Original Jackson Concorde Vs - Premier Guitar

Based of these measurements Jackson produced a limited tribute run of both guitars. I found a Reverb listing for a white Concorde tribute that included the spec sheet. The spec sheet indicated that the white Concorde has a neck dimension of .830"-.950" with a nut width of 1.7" and a butt width of 2.187". The scale length is 25.5". This is a very thick neck and more inline with a chunky Les Paul neck (other than the scale length), but these measurements were not what was brought forward into the RR1 as already discussed in this thread.

Jackson Custom Shop--Randy Rhoads Concorde Relic Tribute Guitar | Napa Music Supply | Reverb
              Last edited by CaptNasty; 06-08-2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Just ran across some things online related to the original Rhoads Vs. This may be where your shop owner got the idea that the neck on the RR1 was thick. Around 2009 Mike Shannon was given access to the 2 original Rhoads Concordes (the white and black ones). They took detailed measurements:

GALLERY: Randy Rhoads' Original Jackson Concorde Vs - Premier Guitar

Based of these measurements Jackson produced a limited tribute run of both guitars. I found a Reverb listing for a white Concorde tribute that included the spec sheet. The spec sheet indicated that the white Concorde has a neck dimension of .830"-.950" with a nut width of 1.7" and a butt width of 2.187". The scale length is 25.5". This is a very thick neck and more inline with a chunky Les Paul neck (other than the scale length), but these measurements were not what was brought forward into the RR1 as already discussed in this thread.

Jackson Custom Shop--Randy Rhoads Concorde Relic Tribute Guitar | Napa Music Supply | Reverb
                That's actually a very good find! Lol, well I spoke with the dealer friend says hes not confused with Concorde, Rhoads and RR1. It's pretty certain the RR1 besides some outliers, are standard Jackson necks.
                But my guess is that he's so used to the 17mm Kelly necks that anything else feels chunky to him lol. The Kelly listed in the catalogs go down to 17mm on the 1st fret lol

Reference:
                Last edited by DanzoStrife; 06-09-2021, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X