Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was told by Jackson dealer RR1 has an Les Paul neck according to Randy'specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
    It would also seem very reasonable that the thinner necks would've started to be favourable for the shredders in the mid-late '80s over the thick necks many of those guys
    may have grown up playing in the '70s.
    you start to see them in the import series 90's, some of the thinnest necks are on concept guitars. Prior to that everything was custom made as far as USA stuff.
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I mean the trend of thinner necks would've started during those later '80s days...the shredder heyday.
      Just an educated guess. I was all about drums during those days.

96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
        I mean the trend of thinner necks would've started during those later '80s days...the shredder heyday.
        Just an educated guess. I was all about drums during those days.

For Rhoads, maybe. Anything is possible.

But guitars in general, the thinner necks started in the 70s when 'companies like the one that eventually became Jackson' started hot rodding Fender guitars. That was one of the things that set Jackson apart - the stream lined aerodynamic hot rods. Not your grandpappy's Strat.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

For Rhoads, maybe. Anything is possible.

But guitars in general, the thinner necks started in the 70s when 'companies like the one that eventually became Jackson' started hot rodding Fender guitars. That was one of the things that set Jackson apart - the stream lined aerodynamic hot rods. Not your grandpappy's Strat.
          Yep, Jake e lee's charvel was a fender modded by J/C not an actual charvel.
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by DanzoStrife View Post
            But what's interesting how much variance in opinion we get here, for people who actually own the RR1. Glad u could input yours! I mean it is a big investment though, so an important question.
            With USA Jacksons there is still to this day a lot of hand work that goes into them. Necks are still shaved, shaped, and sanded by hand. Fretboard edges are rolled by hand. So there will be variances.

Then you have peoples preferences and perceptions.
            Last edited by CaptNasty; 05-26-2021, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Damn this forum hasn't worked for me for 2 days. I can't click on the page numbers to reply to them

Comment

Anyways I think Pianoguy? sorry I can't go back to previous pages. I thought when u said "RR09" I thought u were abbreviating that RR for the year 2009. Sorry..

Also, it sounds to me like out of the 10 RR1 owners, 8 of them said it was the best neck they ever tried , then one opinion here where I can't go back to look at it again and 1 non owner who haters rhoads just hates everything about it. All saying the neck is comfortable and only slightly thicker than normal Jackson. This is not including customs.

CaptNasty: I think anything handmade will have variance, sure. But I think there shouldn't be huge variances unless its done with intent. Its like some restaurants I go to start off good, but the next month taste like crap. Any one who's any good will keep their quality standards TIGHT. I'm betting that Jackson does.

Comment

yeah rr0009 was the serial number...literally the 9th serialized rhoads ever made...i guess that would make it an 83 iirc?...d.m.
                  http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Anyways I think Pianoguy? sorry I can't go back to previous pages. I thoug
                    wasn't me

Comment

CaptNasty: I think anything handmade will have variance, sure. But I think there shouldn't be huge variances unless its done with intent. Its like some restaurants I go to start off good, but the next month taste like crap. Any one who's any good will keep their quality standards TIGHT. I'm betting that Jackson does.
                      So the difference between a speed neck and soloist neck is 0.015”. That is 0.381 mm. And we supposedly can feel that difference.

I got my info from Mike Shannon when I personally talked to him at NAMM. He said that there are “meaningful variances” due to hand work and that while close, no two Jackson necks are identical. I asked if those variances could affect feel. His response: “Yes”. He went on to explain that some of the most demanding work they do is tuning the necks on big name endorsement builds to exactly match the artists preference. I think the term he used was “exacting”.

You apparently don’t need a “huge” variance for it to impact the feel of the neck. I hardly think .381” would be considered “huge” by most people, yet players swear they feel the difference.

Also note that neck thickness measurements are before finish. So you have variances in both the neck and its finish.
                      Last edited by CaptNasty; 05-27-2021, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
                        You apparently don’t need a “huge” variance for it to impact the feel of the neck. I hardly think .381” would be considered “huge” by most people, yet players swear they feel the difference.
                        Guitar strings 0.009" vs 0.010"
                        We know the difference.

Comment

Guitar strings 0.009" vs 0.010"
                          We know the difference.
                          agreed...i own a number of old ibanez 550's and i can tell the difference between years of production in the necks (i prefer 89 as the necks are slightly thicker than the 88, 92 and 96 that i also own...even ibanez has manufacturing tolerances resulting in no 2 guitars feeling exactly the same...d.m.

Comment

OK yea, can surely feel difference in touching 9s and 10s guitar strings.

But ok the main point here is that

1. Jackson claims catalogs are correct and any RR1 manufactured in those years should be 'roughly' the same spec

2. At the end of the day, does a thicker neck mean its bad? Why is a skinnier neck better? Also, I had owned an Ibanez RX and a JH-600, those necks were skinny as hell but I sitll like my thicker Jackson 22m better. I also owned a Peavey strat which was thick as shit. Didn't have that guitar long though, forgot what I felt.

I made some notes that I looked over, because I forgot. It was all the way back in 2017.The Gibson Flying V had a V shaped neck that I hated the most. The EVH guitar had a asymmetrical baseball neck type thats big on one side and small on the high E side. I hated that one. The Gibson SG and LP i didn't mind at all, I just hated the neck heel. Those were good.

I think it might mainly come to shape. There's still some disagreement on if its a D or a C shape. Some people say something in the middle. Anyways, I decided I'll take a plunge when I get the money ready. guitar prices are going on the way up anyways. I sold my Jh-600 for more than I bought it .

So I think the question I should ask more, is if the shape of the neck is similar, because it seems i'm not as affected by neck thickness as I thought .
                            Last edited by DanzoStrife; 05-27-2021, 09:30 PM.

Comment

1. yes
                              2. no...just because i prefer thin necks doesn't mean you or anyone else should...phil collen's jacksons supposedly have necks thicker than a les paul and he loves them

the problem with answering your questions is that the answers you seek are subjective...every player is different, every player has unique likes and dislikes, therefore there is no catchall solution that will work for everyone...i played c/j for decades, i only switched to ibanez because i could find the old ones for cheap and they are solid workhorse guitars for the money (i do own a jem 7vwh as well but honestly i rarely play it)...the c/j's i always favored were the ones mike shannon referred to as the "warren d necks", wide, flat and thin and there were a number of custom shops made with that (as is my 89 gc anniversary usa dinky)....looking at your past guitars, you've been kind of all over the place in neck thickness and shape...in the end you have to sit down and decide what you like...no-one else can do that for you as that is a personal preference...it could be a jackson, could be a paul reed smith, could ne just about anything really...many many great choices for guitars out there...some questions only personal experience can answer...do i still love usa custom c/j's? yeah, they're beautifully created instruments that sound and play great, but as i get older i'd rather have instruments that i wont get mad about dinging them...no i dont think you'll be disappointed in an rr1, but i can't know for sure (personally i prefer bolt-on necks)...d.m.

Comment

Call it a Thick D vs a Shallow C. Call it 0.02 millimeters. Whatever floats your boat.
                                All I know that is every old Rhoads I have ever played felt like I had a baseball bat in my hand.

For comparison -
                                If you're familiar - the 86 Model 6 had the neck I like. The 87/88 Model 6 became bigger. And I have played some US Jackson guitars that also had this thicker neck, starting about this same time.
                                The Rhoads were even bigger than that.

I mean, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how much of an actual size or shape difference there is. The hands know the difference.
                                Ok now I have to ask. When you said "Rhoads' Do u mean PRE RR1 model?

Comment

Working...
                                X