No announcement yet.

Help to identify a mistery 1986 Jackson San Dimas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's right, what I spent is just over the value of the TRS101. I like the neck, better than a Chinese Jackson copy that costs $ 50 or more. The body is also definitely better than a Chinese body that costs at least $ 30. The pickups also have a nice sound but I would like to understand if they are jackson pickups. Have you ever seen a pickup like this in the picture? The underside is made of glass and the cover with the jackson logo is difficult to remove. Could it be a jackson pickup?

https://www.chitarrafaidate.it/forum...humbucker2.jpg

Comment

That's not glass. That's wax.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
        That's not glass. That's wax.
        Ah OK, it is a wax potted pickip and it is missing the brass plate cover.
        And did jackson wax pot the pickups in 80s-90s?
        Could be this a J-90, J80 or J50?

Comment

it's wax or epoxy. if you cannot scratch it easily it's epoxy.

not any of the original usa J-50J-90/J-90/J-95 pickups, those all had individual pole pieces. from you picture you can tell this is a rail pickup. no idea what it is.

edit: the j-95 from the '90s was a rail pickup but I've never seen one that had a black cover or with those triangular tabs.
          Last edited by metalhobo; 04-14-2021, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
            it's wax or epoxy. if you cannot scratch it easily it's epoxy.

not any of the original usa J-50J-90/J-90/J-95 pickups, those all had individual pole pieces. from you picture you can tell this is a rail pickup. no idea what it is.

edit: the j-95 from the '90s was a rail pickup but I've never seen one that had a black cover or with those triangular tabs.

Could these two be J100s instead? The resistance is 6.15 and it matches.

https://www.chitarrafaidate.it/forum...ngle_coil2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by francesco73 View Post

Could these two be J100s instead? The resistance is 6.15 and it matches.

https://www.chitarrafaidate.it/forum...ngle_coil2.jpg
              they could be. without a visible tag or markings it's hard to verify.

Comment

Those are not Jackson pickups. I've seen them before though, I'm thinking it was a cheap westone or something similar. Been years ago. And a 100 to 1 it's not wax. It's's a gel of some sorts. It holds the pickup together and acts in as hum resistor but doesn't quite cut it. Who makes the magana model that also makes a jackson-ish copy?
                Last edited by john.w.lawson; 04-16-2021, 11:21 PM.
                I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Working...
                X