Other options than a Jackson Soloist SL-1 made in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other options than a Jackson Soloist SL-1 made in US

I recently sold my Sunburst Jackson Soloist SL-1 which was made in US due to 1st E string getting stucked on several frets when making pull offs. I am looking for a model that can give me a clean tone and paf overdriven clear sound on the treble pickup. I don't mind a H-H configuration. Any recommendations with Shark Inlay on frets?

you sold the guitar instead of having a fret job?

Comment

Yes. Asides the stock bridge pickup had a dark tone. I was looking for something more bright and clear as a the bridge les paul standard pickup.

Comment

I'd recommend an sl-1...

...with a paf pickup...

Comment

So you sold a good guitar instead of fixing the frets (really easy job) and change out the pickup for something you like?
          I'm not sure I follow...
          If you like the SL-1, I recommend a SL-1 or a SL2H...but I'm not sure if that's what you are asking...becuause chances are you have to change the pickup on those as well...

Comment

I am not sure what the problem with the frets were maybe the fret ends were sharp or protruding which would be odd for a USA Jackson. Or maybe the frets were lifting who knows.

Yes maybe easy job for a luthier or a guitar tech but not all of us are good with tools.

Most likely you will have to be swapping the pickup on whatever guitar you end up getting if you cant test it out before buying and if you dont like the tone.

Comment

What about this cheaper model? SL2Q Caribbean blue?

?https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...bean-blue-fade

I read the pickups are distorted type and maybe will not sound as clean as the SL1 soloist i sold made in US. I really appreciate your honest opinion regarding this model compared to the one I had? Its made in Indonesia.

Comment

Tregan
                Most of the designs are pretty funky, many of which are not even represented on their website anymore. But if you get yourself a Tregan Shaman, it is fairly "normal" looking.

Comment

WHat about the quality of the frets and pickup tone on that specific SL2Q Caribbean Blue Model compared to the Soloist SL-1 i had?

Comment

The guitar you linked is part of the SL2Q MAH line. The specs say the frets are jumbos. Unknown what year your SL1 was but current website also says these use jumbos, so I’m fairly certain that the frets would be fairly close to the same size and feel to you. Both guitars have the 12 to 16” compound radius fingerboard.

As far as bridge pickup tone, again, unknown what pickup came in your SL1, but the Duncan JB would be the most logical. Note that this is a fairly high output pickup with 16.6k DCR. The SL2Q comes with a Duncan Distortion which is also a high output at 16.6k DCR. Note that these pickups sound completely different due to the magnets used and the winding and such. The specs show the Distortion pickup as having more mids and treble. I personally don’t like them (too much mids and hoghs for me) and prefer the JB. You said you didn’t like the pickup in your SL1 and much prefer a Gibson PAF. Again, a completely different pickup, the Gibson Custom 57 is PAF-like with 7.5k DCR, so will not drive your amp as hard as the JB or Distortion. The Gibson Custom 57 is Alnico II magnet, JB is Alnico 5, Distortion is Ceramic.

Here’s a you tube video for a SL2Q MAH, note it starts out saying “metal machine”, that would not be a term I would use to describe a PAF sound. I have the SL2 Deep Metallic Purple, and to me, this video captures the tone of the Duncan Distortion pickup (which I changed to an Duncan JB). Mine is a good guitar, plays good, nothing wrong with it (I bought it mainly for the color), was a good deal for the $700 I paid for it, but is lacking that hard to describe feel of my USA Jacksons.

https://youtu.be/RM10TX-jBig

Your problem with the string hanging up on the fret was probably due to “fret spout”, where due to humidity changes over time, the neck shrunk a little, while the metal frets don’t. When this happens the frets overhang the fingerboard slightly. You usually notice this when running you hand up/down the neck and feeling the sharp ends. A luthier could have fixed with some filing and rounding of the fret ends. I had a similar issue on one of my guitars of the high e getting stuck under a fret and filed/smoothed all the frets ends in under an hour.

As mentioned above, looks like whatever guitar you get, you’ll be swapping the pickup to a PAF to get the tone you want. Note that the body wood and shape of the body can greatly influence the tone of the pickups. If you want the tone of a les paul standard bridge pickup, maybe you need to buy a Les Paul Standard.

Comment

I have the SL2 Deep Metallic Purple, and to me, this video captures the tone of the Duncan Distortion pickup (which I changed to an Duncan JB). Mine is a good guitar, plays good, nothing wrong with it (I bought it mainly for the color), was a good deal for the $700 I paid for it, but is lacking that hard to describe feel of my USA Jacksons.

I have the same model and color, the neck is amazing, front and back .
                      Paid $650.00 for a new one from SW. Very good choice.

Comment

I have brought several guitars back from the dead by simply refretting with stainless. And it goes without saying that swapping a pickup is cake....
                        '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
                        '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                        '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                        '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
                        '90 Charvel 475 XL
                        '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
                        Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
                        Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
                        Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Working...
                        X