Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrismb99
    replied
    Well, all I can do is hope the seller was honest. If something turns out bad, I'll probably discuss a partial refund of some sort so I can use that to get the thing repaired, because I sure would hate to give something like this back. It's a beautiful piece. It's seems like it's been in the case most of it's life and the case looks surprisingly good, too. I sure hope there aren't problems. Thanks for all your inputs!!! This information is greatly appreciated!!
    Last edited by Chrismb99; 09-16-2020, 07:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Number Of The Priest
    replied
    Just looking at the pics of the gold hardware on the guitar, it looks mostly untarnished from what I can see, which suggests the owner(s) took care of the guitar and the gold hardware. In turn, that suggests to me the trem is in good shape, and that HOPEFULLY the intonation screwholes in the baseplate are not stripped. I have a Les Paul with gold hardware that is younger than that Rhoads Student and I have pitting and wear on my gold hardware, and I am someone who takes great care of my guitars.

Leave a comment:

• Zedder
    replied
    I have repaired at least 3 JT-590 baseplates with these:

https://www.ezlok.com/e-z-lok-solid-...-standard-wall

Leave a comment:

• MountainDog
    replied
    When it arrives it will need to be intonated as the E thru B saddles should not all be slammed up against the saddle hold down screws. I sure hope that this isn’t an indication that the base plate screws are stripped.

Leave a comment:

• Chrismb99
    replied
    Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
    Just looking at photos of the Washburn DD60, it has very similar-looking trem as the JT590 trem on the Rhoads Student you just bought. Both are Schaller designs with the closest OEM product being Schaller's own "Schaller Tremolo" that ed linked above. The OEM page is here: https://schaller.info/en/tremolos/359/schaller-tremolo

I don't know your current comfort level with trems and disassembling parts, but if I were in your shoes, I would diassemble the JT590, inspect the various components for wear (especially looking at the screw holes on the baseplate and seeing if they are reinforced with steel inserts, or if they're bare zinc and stripped), clean everything with WD-40 or 3-IN-ONE Multi-Purpose Oil and a toothbrush, and reassemble it. It's just part of the normal servicing and setup that I perform on all used/dirty guitars that come into my possession. Actually, if you're "afraid" of a trem, doing this might ironically have the positive effect of familiarizing yourself with the trem and you'll gain a healthy respect and understanding of how it works. Everything is adjustable and reversible, so don't be afraid to "mess up the existing configuration". Just disassemble carefully and sequentially to keep the parts arranged accordingly and neatly on your workstation. An example of the neat arrangement is pictured below, one of my Ibanez Edge trems disassembled across a towel. The saddle blocks are still inside the saddles, and the intonation screws are together with their washers, so the bridge is not technically 100% disassembled... but everything else is in individual pieces and arranged in such a way that I could probably reassemble everything in the dark, like a soldier reassembling a rifle without the aid of sight.

You guys are super awesome, thanks for all the tips! Also, after looking through lots of sold listings of USA Rhoads "student" and "custom" spec guitars on reverb, it seems like I got a great deal. I always feel like a kid on Christmas again when I get something like this!

Leave a comment:

• toejam
    replied
    On the JT590, did the screw threads have a tendency to strip, or did the screwholes on the zinc baseplate? Because Henrik's website (http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...ject.htm#jt590) indicates the latter, until the introduction of reinforcing steel inserts on the baseplate screwholes.
    Yeah, I meant the baseplate is usually what stripped on those.

Leave a comment:

• Number Of The Priest
    replied
    Just looking at photos of the Washburn DD60, it has very similar-looking trem as the JT590 trem on the Rhoads Student you just bought. Both are Schaller designs with the closest OEM product being Schaller's own "Schaller Tremolo" that ed linked above. The OEM page is here: https://schaller.info/en/tremolos/359/schaller-tremolo

I don't know your current comfort level with trems and disassembling parts, but if I were in your shoes, I would diassemble the JT590, inspect the various components for wear (especially looking at the screw holes on the baseplate and seeing if they are reinforced with steel inserts, or if they're bare zinc and stripped), clean everything with WD-40 or 3-IN-ONE Multi-Purpose Oil and a toothbrush, and reassemble it. It's just part of the normal servicing and setup that I perform on all used/dirty guitars that come into my possession. Actually, if you're "afraid" of a trem, doing this might ironically have the positive effect of familiarizing yourself with the trem and you'll gain a healthy respect and understanding of how it works. Everything is adjustable and reversible, so don't be afraid to "mess up the existing configuration". Just disassemble carefully and sequentially to keep the parts arranged accordingly and neatly on your workstation. An example of the neat arrangement is pictured below, one of my Ibanez Edge trems disassembled across a towel. The saddle blocks are still inside the saddles, and the intonation screws are together with their washers, so the bridge is not technically 100% disassembled... but everything else is in individual pieces and arranged in such a way that I could probably reassemble everything in the dark, like a soldier reassembling a rifle without the aid of sight.

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 09-14-2020, 03:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ed
    replied
    The Jt-590 is basically an older version of this https://www.thomann.de/fi/schaller_t...locking_bc.htm Except the older ones dont have the hardened inserts in the baseplate like Toejam said.

Made by schaller in Germany. Some people dont like them so much because the zinc baseplate. I personally havent had any issues with them except for the threads stripping from the older models baseplate. They stay in tune as good as OFRs.

Leave a comment:

• Chrismb99
    replied
    Thanks for the tip!! So is the 590 a good trem? I've only owned one other guitar with a Floyd... was a Washburn DD-60. I assume it was with one of the cheapest trems on the market at the time. It was messed up when I got it, though. I didn't really know anything about it or how to fix it cause I was pretty young so I just sold it for about $300. I'm definitely not touching this one until I know more about it. I'm definitely excited, so when I get the guitar I may be asking more questions about the trem.

Leave a comment:

• ed
    replied
    On the JT590, did the screw threads have a tendency to strip, or did the screwholes on the zinc baseplate? Because Henrik's website (http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...ject.htm#jt590) indicates the latter, until the introduction of reinforcing steel inserts on the baseplate screwholes.
    The threads in the hole. I have had this happen to attleast 3 guitars. Not a big deal IMO but it adds a cost of roughly 100 dollars or euros for the new base plate. or if you want to buy a whole new trem its a bit more.

Leave a comment:

• pianoguyy
    replied
    screws stripping is an easy fix - buy new screws.
    screw holes stripping on a baseplate means buying a new baseplate

Leave a comment:

• Number Of The Priest
    replied

The baseplate of the JT-590 pictured is made of zinc, which is soft and easier/cheaper to produce, the knife edges are inserts of supposedly hardened steel and it has no steel threaded inserts for the saddle bolts (later models came with threaded inserts). Because of that, it's easier to strip the threads of the intonation holes in the baseplate - having threads in zinc is simply just a bad idea.

Leave a comment:

• toejam
    replied
    Originally posted by ed View Post
    It is a fair deal. You might want to check the trem and see if those saddle locking screws are working or are the threads stripped. Its a common thing in the older JT-590 trems.
    This. Those old Schaller trem systems were known to have saddle screws that would/could strip out. Schaller now uses inserts in their baseplates so the screws will no longer strip.

Leave a comment:

• CaptNasty
    replied
    I had been watching that listing on Reverb for over a year. Enjoy it!

Leave a comment:

• ed
    replied
    It is a fair deal. You might want to check the trem and see if those saddle locking screws are working or are the threads stripped. Its a common thing in the older JT-590 trems.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X