No announcement yet.

Help identifying my late father's guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that most electric guitars will give someone the tone and sound they're looking for be it blues, jazz, metal, etc... and some guitars get typecast as "metal" or whatever genre.

I'm sure most of us will agree that finding the instrument that's comfortable and fits your playing style is important. Me personally, I don't like short scale guitars. I'm also not a fan of the thin wide ass necks like Jackson's have and I can't stand a Gibson's "baseball bat" neck either. Sure I can play them but they're not comfortable to me at all. Now a nice "C" profile even thin "C" strat type neck is pure bliss for me. Out of my seven guitars three are Charvel Model series, one is a Charvel Contemporary series, two are MIM Pro Mods and one lone Sully Raven Contemporary Series (which has a thin wide ass neck that I'm trying to make myself like because I wanted a Sully and had to buy it to try it).

I've had a couple of USA Jackson's including an SL1 and a Fusion, a Les Paul Standard, a few DK2's, a few DX10D's, a JRR-94, a Peavey Destiny Custom, an ESP Skulls n Snakes (should have never got rid of that one), and a couple of RX10D's. I went through in my opinion quite a few guitars before I found what I liked and was comfortable with.

Here I am years later starting out this year with only two Charvel Model 2's as I had gotten out of guitar around 2010. Out of all those the only two that stuck with me were two Model 2's. To me it ultimately boils down to comfort level. IMHO if you don't feel comfortable or like something then you're just not going to play it. One thing I figured out over the years is that a Charvel Model, Contemporary or Pro Mod series or a MIM Fender Strat or Tele is damn near heaven for me and my comfort level. It's all in what you like.

I understand if the Soloist Pro isn't the OP's "cup of tea" though and I'm sure most of us have been through trying this and that gear in an attempt to find what feels comfortable to us and our style.

One thing for sure if the OP decides to move his Pro Soloist he won't have a problem doing so as long as it's priced within reason.

Comment

Soloist Professional Pro has three pickups, 1 humbucker and 2 single coils. I think it can be used for any kind of music. If you don´t like the sound you can install different pickups.

I have one (with EMGs), and only problem is that is literally a heavy guitar (4.1 kilograms), heavier than my other Jacksons. Actually, it weighs more than any other guitar I own. I think a superstrat should not be heavier than a Gibson Les Paul.
      My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

Originally posted by Zedder View Post
        Soloist Professional Pro has three pickups, 1 humbucker and 2 single coils. I think it can be used for any kind of music. If you don´t like the sound you can install different pickups.

I have one (with EMGs), and only problem is that is literally a heavy guitar (4.1 kilograms), heavier than my other Jacksons. Actually, it weighs more than any other guitar I own. I think a superstrat should not be heavier than a Gibson Les Paul.
        That is quite heavy my 750XL is about the same with a big brass sustain block and 750 xls were notoriously heavy and their bodies were much thicker than soloists. Wondering what makes your guitar so heavy. I mean they were basswood or were they alder both of which are lighter than mahogany. Offcourse no 2 piece of wood weighs the same amount so maybe it just got a batch of heavy wood.

Comment

soloist pro would be poplar, which is heavier than alder. though, 9 lbs does seem excessive.

Comment

9 pounds seems about right for an old soloist... unless you have a little scale that can do more precise measurements.
            yes, they even weigh more than the new "weightless" les paul models

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
              soloist pro would be poplar, which is heavier than alder. though, 9 lbs does seem excessive.
              Poplar isn't always heavier, though. I had a Dinky HX that was poplar, and it was pretty light.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
              X