Parts for 1986 San Dimas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts for 1986 San Dimas

I have a '86 San Dimas "student" neck thru body model that needs repair. Does anyone know of a good site that sells replacement parts for these type of guitars? I need a new tremolo set up, tuners, knobs, jacks/switches, all black. It's still plays great but has seen a lot of abuse and wear. Thank you.

https://www.fretsonthenet.com/ is 1 where you might find some parts. But depending what parts it has i would rather upgrade them than try to find originals. For example if it has the JT-6 trem.

Comment

To supplement ed's post above, I've used components from https://www.allparts.com/ and https://www.wdmusic.com/ when I don't particularly "care" about precise / vintage-correct components, and just need knobs/switches/pots that simply fit and look "correct-enough".

Things like jacks, switches, pots, etc. are "mostly hidden" from sight anyway, thus can be justified that they need not be vintage-correct, so I would do what ed recommends and get readily-available, good quality, and/or affordable components, especially if original parts are scarce or expensive.

Comment

everything said above, plus:

Sometimes, depending on what you have/need, it is cheaper to buy a used guitar and use it for parts.
        For example - what would a Kahler trem cost new today (it was 1986, it could be a Kahler). Vs simply going out and buying a used Charvel Model Series.
        Then, not only do you have the trem, but you also have the other parts (maybe a you need a JE-1200?) that are period correct. AND you can sell the skeleton of the guitar you just bought.

And, some of that stuff (like switches), you just have your tech replace them. No one really cares that it isn't a 1986 Jackson switch. Who do you think we are, Gibson and Fender. Those fuckers will count the threads on screws to make sure it is "authentic".

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
          everything said above, plus:

Sometimes, depending on what you have/need, it is cheaper to buy a used guitar and use it for parts.
          For example - what would a Kahler trem cost new today (it was 1986, it could be a Kahler). Vs simply going out and buying a used Charvel Model Series.
          Then, not only do you have the trem, but you also have the other parts (maybe a you need a JE-1200?) that are period correct. AND you can sell the skeleton of the guitar you just bought.

And, some of that stuff (like switches), you just have your tech replace them. No one really cares that it isn't a 1986 Jackson switch. Who do you think we are, Gibson and Fender. Those fuckers will count the threads on screws to make sure it is "authentic".
          I was watching a stewmac vid of a guy rewinding an old fender pickup which had died. when he took the pickguard off he put the screws in a jig he made to keep them in the correct order "so the wear patterns would be consistent" when he reinstalled them. it's a whole nother world out there.

Comment

Thank you all for the advise. I'm not trying to find the same exact parts as the original, I just want to be sure that what I get will fit/work on this type of guitar. I definitely want upgrade the tremolo and would like all components to be a modern as possible. Attached is a picture of the type of tremolo I the guitar came with, I need to know what a good replacement for it would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Landshark2020 View Post
              Thank you all for the advise. I'm not trying to find the same exact parts as the original, I just want to be sure that what I get will fit/work on this type of guitar. I definitely want upgrade the tremolo and would like all components to be a modern as possible. Attached is a picture of the type of tremolo I the guitar came with, I need to know what a good replacement for it would be.
              If that's the bridge that's on your guitar then I highly suspect it was not "Made In The USA". That's a Kahler Fulcrum like was used on the Model series guitars.

http://www.charvelusa.com/charvel_model_series.html

Comment

that's a kahler 2520. https://www.whammyparts.com/ is a good place to buy new OEM kahler parts for most of their bridges.

https://www.whammyparts.com/kahler-r...xx-traditional
                Last edited by metalhobo; 09-01-2020, 11:01 PM.

Comment

ha. and it wasn't even the kahler i was talking about.

Comment

OK now I'm curious to see photos of the guitar. I can't recall ever seeing a USA Jackson guitar that had that Kahler on it before. Like pianoguyy said, when I see or think of that Kahler, I reflexively think of the 1986 Model Series, particularly the Model 2 and Model 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                      OK now I'm curious to see photos of the guitar. I can't recall ever seeing a USA Jackson guitar that had that Kahler on it before. Like pianoguyy said, when I see or think of that Kahler, I reflexively think of the 1986 Model Series, particularly the Model 2 and Model 3.
                      I searched on the web and saw a few references to 2520 bridges that were "pulled from jackson soloists," so I guess it's possible. I have a hard time OP would confuse a charvel logo for a jackson, and a bolt-on for a neck through (the 2520 was not on the model 5 or 6).

Comment

When did the JT-6 come out? Maybe this was before that.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
                          When did the JT-6 come out? Maybe this was before that.
                          it was considered 1987
                          But, I would bet (if we had access to the locked closet to grab the records) that it appeared in 1986.

But, in general, 1986 was known as a Kahler year.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                            OK now I'm curious to see photos of the guitar.

Yeah. We need pictures.

Comment

I don't have a picture, but let me try to describe it. BTW I got the year by typing the serial number (J1900) in a Jackson SN search site .
                              Serial number: J1900
                              Production year: 1986
                              Model: Neck-thru body
                              Production number: 1900
                              Factory: San Dimas, California, USA

The guitar is solid white, except the headstock which is black, has JACKSON printed in white followed by a small "made in usa"
                              Tuners are black and have no markings, 2 black knobs, 1 push/pull for distortion boost. 9v battery in rear compartment.
                              1 pickup, solid black cover with small white JACKSON logo on bottom right.
                              24 frets, dot inlays
                              Kahler tremolo - made in usa
                              all 1 piece, not a bolt on.

Serial number is stamped on the rosewood fretboard after the last fret

Last edited by Landshark2020; 09-02-2020, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X