Refinishing an RR1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinishing an RR1

I have this 96 RR1 that basically plays itself. Amazing axe. I bought it second hand to replace a KV2 that I totaled. The only issue with the guitar is the finish. I’m not crazy about all black on guitars. Smudges are way too visible and it’s frankly kind of boring. Would repainting a 96 Rhoads be considered sacrilege? I’m sure it’ll hurt the resale value, though I don’t plan on selling any of my guitars.

Anybody in the SF Bay Area you might recommend for this kind of work?

The RR1 has been in existence since 1996 and unchanged since (a 2020 RR1 still has the same specs as a first year RR1). Black is probably the most common color. It's your guitar; go for it if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by DivebombJ View Post
      Anybody in the SF Bay Area you might recommend for this kind of work?
      Depends on if you want it done or if you want it done correctly.
      If you know what color you want and it is fairly standard, your local Ut Oh, better get Maaco will usually do it for $100, just to prevent wasting the leftover paint after they do a car. And you can have it back in a few days.

OR, you could send it to someone who will do it correctly. It will take 6 weeks to 6 months depending on backlog, prep work, and the actual job detail. And it will cost $1000 or more.

Would repainting a 96 Rhoads be considered sacrilege?
      there is nothing special about the 1996 era guitars.

I’m sure it’ll hurt the resale value, though I don’t plan on selling any of my guitars.
      1. black hurts resale because they are a dime a dozen. particularly on "extreme" shapes. You may be able to sell black quicker, but for much less money.
      1a. very few modifications will ever be recouped in a sale.
      2. it is yours, do what you want.
      3. think of it like a tattoo. it may not be as permanent, but you want to be stuck with something you'll like for a long time. Getting that girl's name scripted is not a good idea.

Comment

Like Pianoguyy says, you can probably find someone local that will do it cheap, but you usually get what you pay for. If you want it done correctly there are a handful of shops that do great work on guitars like Lee Garver at GMW Guitarworks, Dan Lawrence at DRL Graphics or Mike Learn. Recently I helped a friend with a bolt on project and he used Rob Gray at RIP Custom Guitars who did an awesome job and was very reasonable. So check out these guys if you want to get an idea of cost for a refin.

Comment

Working...
        X