2000 ke2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 ke2

I was eyeballing this one for a while and debating pulling the trigger and last week I received $2k from my girlfriend to buy it as an early birthday gift. So far I’d say she’s a keeper. I asked Jackson for the specs but they weren’t able to help because this was before the Fender buyout and the scans of the 2000 catalog aren’t even legible. This is a KE2 with the transparent black finish. I’ve read that these have poplar bodies and I’ve also read that these were actually alder. Anybody out there have the full spec on this one from this year?

Last edited by DivebombJ; 05-09-2020, 02:27 PM.

Alder body flame maple veneer cap. Quartersawn maple neck ebony fretboard. Should have Tb-4 Sh2 pickup combo but looks like your neck picup might have been changed. Also welcome to the forum. And if a girlfriend gives you 2K for a guitar she sure is a keeper.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
      Alder body flame maple veneer cap. Quartersawn maple neck ebony fretboard. Should have Tb-4 Sh2 pickup combo but looks like your neck picup might have been changed. Also welcome to the forum. And if a girlfriend gives you 2K for a guitar she sure is a keeper.
      Alder. Figures lol. That’s every US Jackson I’ve owned. Thank you. I was a member here forever ago I think. My account might have been suspended due to inactivity or I just forgot the login. Was probably back in 08 I last posted.

I bought all black replacement hardware for this one already. When it’s time for a string change I’ll swap everything out. I don’t think the chrome works as well with transparent black as it does the other transparent finishes. I’ll peep that neck pickup when I open her up because I was wondering why it wasn’t branded...assumed maybe the neck wasn’t branded If the pups were sold in sets. No idea honestly. Might even be a dimarzio.

Comment

Since the KE2 is supposed to come with a Duncan Jazz in the neck, the lack of a logo might mean the Jazz was swapped as ed suggested, and I propose it might be a Duncan '59, which doesn't come with a logo when you buy it brand new. For some reason, if a '59 DOES come equipped on guitars at the factory, such as on the SL2H and KV2, it DOES come with a logo.

Comment

very unlikely to be a dimarzio. dimarzio with glossy bobbins are exceedingly rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
            Since the KE2 is supposed to come with a Duncan Jazz in the neck, the lack of a logo might mean the Jazz was swapped as ed suggested, and I propose it might be a Duncan '59, which doesn't come with a logo when you buy it brand new. For some reason, if a '59 DOES come equipped on guitars at the factory, such as on the SL2H and KV2, it DOES come with a logo.
            I've bought '59s new, they came with logos.

Beautiful guitar! It's a keeper, just like your girlfriend.

Comment

From the Seymour Duncan website's webpage for the '59:

https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/59-model

Offered in 6-string standard humbucker and Trembucker spacings, the ’59 model features a variety of traditional vintage treatments, such as 42AWG plain enamel mag wire, long-legged nickel-silver bottom plate, vintage single-conductor braided push back lead wire, and no logo.
              I learned you can order the '59 with or without the logo.

Comment

Originally posted by Skullkrusher View Post

I've bought '59s new, they came with logos.

Beautiful guitar! It's a keeper, just like your girlfriend.
                It’s my first Explorer shape so it’s a little bit of an adjustment. For the past 15 years I’ve really only played V’s. Had a couple of KV2’s and I have an RR1 from (I think) 96. That 96 plays like a dream but I always hated that it only had 22 frets because I actually use that upper register quite a bit. I ended up buying one of the early ESP SV standards, the one that Jackson ended up suing over because the body was way too close to the RR. It looks like a 24 fret Rhoads with pinstripes. It has neck issues, unfortunately. I’ll probably be taking her to a luthier once the shelter in place is lifted.

Comment

Originally posted by DivebombJ View Post

It’s my first Explorer shape so it’s a little bit of an adjustment. For the past 15 years I’ve really only played V’s. Had a couple of KV2’s and I have an RR1 from (I think) 96. That 96 plays like a dream but I always hated that it only had 22 frets because I actually use that upper register quite a bit. I ended up buying one of the early ESP SV standards, the one that Jackson ended up suing over because the body was way too close to the RR. It looks like a 24 fret Rhoads with pinstripes. It has neck issues, unfortunately. I’ll probably be taking her to a luthier once the shelter in place is lifted.
                  Interesting to hear! I remember GASing for an Indonesian Kelly EMG-series many years, but none of my local music stores were able to acquire it for me.

I didn't know Jackson sued ESP over the SV body shape, but it makes sense. I considered buying an E-II Arrow before I ended up buying my RR1. Anyway, enjoy your Kelly!

Comment

I just tried searching for info on the Jackson lawsuit and came up with nothing. I just have been misinformed. Maybe ESP changed the body shape for the North American models preemptively to avoid a lawsuit. I think the SV body shape I have was only available to purchase in Europe and Japan.

Comment

Congrats on a sweet Kelly and cool girlfriend!

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                        Alright so I finally took her apart to swap out the chrome hardware (except the output jack plate, I can’t find one fit for a Kelly anywhere) and I took a peak at the pups. I knew the bridge didn’t sound like the JBs I’ve had in the past. It’s a SD Custom and I might be sold on customs now. Never played one before. The unmarked pup in the neck is a GFS, which I’d never heard of before. But it actually sounds pretty dope.

Comment

For your output jack plate, have you tried https://www.fretsonthenet.com/Hardwa...y%20parts.htm? Scroll down past halfway and find the football jack plates. They look curved for a Soloist/Dinky which is more than the curve of the KE2 body edge but perhaps Budman (the owner of that side) can match the radius for you by not bending the jack as much. Doesn't hurt to ask. In the section above the football jack plates, it's stated that they actually come flat unless specified by the customer. So have him match the Kelly curve and you should be OK!

Wow, so BOTH pickups were swapped! Unexpected plot twist.

In your situation I would like to think I would similarly trust my ears instead of my eyes, and not judge the neck pickup by its brand. I've heard of GFS and occasionally browse their website, but have not personally tried any of their products and thus retain an open mind.
                          Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 05-17-2020, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X