Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson HT7FM fretboard Finish/Unfinished ? and Cleaning

Dear All,

I own a Jackson HT7FM. And I just had a question about whether the fretboard is finished or unfinished - I can't seem to find out this piece of information anywhere.

Depending on the answer to the above, what would be best to clean the fretboard with in-between string changes...nothing too drastic, just aiming to clean off any sweat/grime/dust that's accumulated over the last few months.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Pierce

Here is a link to the guitar on the Jackson website:

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/...7fm/2803367880

full disclosure - i don't own one, and don't know what jackson means by caramelized or flamed (specifically because everyone has their own processes and definitions)

i would feel comfortable using lemon oil even though it is maple.

You own it. What does it look like to you?

Comment

Jackson/Charvel usually put either gunstock oil or tung oil on their maple boards. Any kind of lemon oil will be fine to clean it.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Cleaning off grime dust:

1) 0000 Steel Wool. Sometimes they use some sort of wood oil soap, or naptha as cleaning agent too. Rub along the fretboard (including the frets) and not against it. Put masking tape with sticky part facing the fretboard before your pickups start as steel wool shards could be caught by the magnets (NOT ON FINISHED MAPLE OR ANY FINISHED FRETBOARD)
        2) Naptha (lighter fuel) and rag. Rub by hand and clean off any grime/dirt. I've seen razor being used to scrape them off too.

Finally apply lemon oil, or butcher block oil as these applications may remove some oil, including what came from your hands and lubricated the wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Babazon View Post
          Cleaning off grime dust:

1) ... (NOT ON FINISHED MAPLE OR ANY FINISHED FRETBOARD)

He isn't asking how to clean.
          He is asking how to clean this particular maple.

Comment

Whether the fretboard is finished or unfinished clean with Naphtha. If the board is unfinished apply a thin coat of oil then wipe it off and buff. Do not let the oil sit too long on the fretboard, it can cause the wood to swell and pop frets and inlays out.

Regarding lemon oil, most of the “lemon oil” sold now days is just lemon scented oil... some other type of oil with an additive that makes it smell like lemon. The additive may not even be lemon based! “Lemon oils” now days tend to be expensive mineral oil. Don’t waste your monet.

You would not want to use real lemon oil on a fretboard. It contains a chemical called limonene... a strong solvent. Limonene can break down the glues used for your frets and fretboard.

I use Music Nomad F One oil. No silicon, petroleum, or solvents. Safe for guitar use.

Comment

+1 on the music nomad F one oil. Love that stuff. Based on picture it doesn't seem to have the glossy look most maple boards that are finished have, but it's hard to tell from pictures, I'd have to see it in person to be sure. Any decent fretboard conditioner on a microfibre cloth + toothbrush would be fine regardless, just put the oil on the cloth and not directly on the board to avoid any over usage.

Comment

My son has the HT7 Limited Edition which has an ebony fretboard. My Charvel Guthrie Govan has a torrified flame maple fretboard and it has a hand rubbed eurethane finish. I suspect that Charvels and Jacksons would treat the torrified maple fretboards the same.

You can contact Jackson and ask. They have been great with me on getting specs and what not.
                Last edited by CaptNasty; 05-04-2020, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X