Quartersawn maple neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quartersawn maple neck

I always wondered what this means. Does the neck wood (maple) go all the way down the center of the body of the guitar on a neck thru?

sigpic
    Action Jackson

Comment

Thanks. So if a guitar has a quartersawn maple neck thru, that means the center body of the guitar is maple?

Comment

Originally posted by Temple of Doom View Post
        Thanks. So if a guitar has a quartersawn maple neck thru, that means the center body of the guitar is maple?
        No, it just means the neck is quartersawn maple. The body can be other wood. The body is actually two pieces of wood glued onto the neck and then sanded and finished to make a "neck-thru" guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by synapsistheory View Post

No, it just means the neck is quartersawn maple. The body can be other wood. The body is actually two pieces of wood glued onto the neck and then sanded and finished to make a "neck-thru" guitar.
          So looking at the Jackson CS form when it says under neck options for wood type it says "Neck/Center wood" and then gives you a choice of maple or mahogany. When it says "Center" is that the center of the neck or center of the body? Just curious.

Comment

the body could be 3 pieces depending on the design of neck thru. some neck thru guitars use a 2nd piece of wood to thicken the neck to be as thick as the body. others use a neck that thickens to body size.

this is where the debate of "is it a neck thru or glorified set thru" comes in.
            because a neck that is, as example, one inch thick and runs the length of the body, really doesn't run the length of the body because it gets sawed off at the first pickup.

Comment

https://www.themusiczoo.com/blogs/ne...on-custom-shop

About halfway down the page you can see the neck with a piece of Maple going all the way down the body. ANd then another Alder for the wings. Is this what they mean by neck/center wood?
              Last edited by Temple of Doom; 03-30-2020, 03:22 PM.

Comment

About halfway down the page you can see the neck with a piece of Maple going all the way down the body. ANd then another Alder for the wings. Is this what they mean by neck/center wood?
                Yes. Here's a pic of my Carvin 7-string. The body sides are maple. The neck goes all the way through the body and is 5-piece construction... 3 pieces of mahogany with 2 smaller strips of maple.
                20181004_125659.jpg20181004_125010.jpg
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

1/4 sawn, and neck through are 2 totally separate terms. 1/4 sawn describes how the neck wood was cut from the tree it was made from. Neck through is a way the neck and body of a guitar are joined. On most neck through guitars the center wood would be the neck wood, on the example carvin in the above post there are 5 pieces that make up the center of the guitar and neck.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post

Yes. Here's a pic of my Carvin 7-string. The body sides are maple. The neck goes all the way through the body and is 5-piece construction... 3 pieces of mahogany with 2 smaller strips of maple.
                    20181004_125659.jpg20181004_125010.jpg
                    that neck is beautiful. Holy cow. And I love the headstock too.

Comment

Thanks. It's a real nice player. Vintage Yellow is the color.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't know which photo you are talking about, but this one
                        https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/09...c-Zoo-5706.jpg
                        shows what I was talking about - with the neck being thickened with another piece of wood.

Comment

Working...
                        X