Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazing pawn shop buy - I got a 1989 custom shop strat with a maple shark fin neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing pawn shop buy - I got a 1989 custom shop strat with a maple shark fin neck

Hello to the JC Forum, I am a long time lurker since I sold all my cool Charvel and Jackson guitars back in the late 80's to mid 90's to finance other music adventures . I had an early serial # RR I wish I had kept, black with gold pinstripes... sigh. I also had a 1987 San Dimas Jackson custom shop strat (which I custom ordered, with my own art designs). I also had a 85 San Dimas Charvel rising sun with a Kahler (broke the neck).

Enough history, here is what I came to post here today.

So I found this Jackson (Ontario) guitar in a local pawn shop, it was really... really nasty and dirty. Covered in grime, with strings at least 10 years old. lots of smoke yellowing everywhere. The shop had no idea what it was or how rare these are. Price was too good to pass up so I bought it, brought it home and did a disassembly and did a gentile but deep cleaning and polish. Fret dress and setup.

It plays like a dream, low action. very resonant. Wish I had the bar for the trem to see how it handles some sonic abuse. Love the pickup combo, this thing really was built to do metal or rock... can't stop rocking out since I put it back together and set it up.

What I saw when it was apart:
    ----------
    Under the springs it is dated 8-28-89 and the work order # matches the # on the neck stamp (it's also in the truss rod cavity)
    The pickups are J-90c, J-100 in the middle, and an Dimarzio HS-3 in the neck
    It appears I was the first one to take this guitar apart, nothing was modified from what I can see
    It has a Charvel badged tremolo. Made in germany by Shaller. Very heavy and in excellent shape.

What is missing:
    -----------
    It's missing the trem bar, the trus rod cover (and screws), and the back trem cover screws are not original.

Questions for the forum experts:
    ------------
    1. Do you think the HS-3 is original? The route would never fit the deep Jackson J-200, it barely fits the HS3. Did they not use Jackson pickup covers if the pickups were custom ordered?
    2. Why no "made in USA" on the headstock under the "n", the finish is not tampered with... and the stamp and work order matches to the body. Did they leave the "made in usa" off some necks?
    3. How rare is this neck, I see lots of 24 fret maple boards with black sharkfins, but never the bolt on strat necks?
    4. What kind of screws were used for the back trem plate, I plan to fill the holes and use the proper small recessed screws (they seem like humbucker mounting ring screws - can anyone confirm)?
    5. Any ideas for a case that would snug fit this beauty, I broke an 85 Charvel neck at the nut once.
    6. The break angle is pretty steep at the neck body connection due to a pretty thick shim. Does it need to be that angled? My gut feeling is it's the factory shim, any reason I shouldn't change it out to lower the bridge and pickups?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Nice! I just saw that on Facebook yesterday.

Some 1989 guitars didn't get the USA on the headstock for some reason. Also, looks like the trem is non-recessed (which is why there's a greater tilt-back angle on the neck) and it only has the pull-up route behind it that became popular around that time, so you really wouldn't be able to get the trem that much lower.

And I don't think the HS3 is original, but anything is possible back then with a Custom Shop. Also, it's kinda weird to have the Charvel logo on the trem instead of Jackson, which makes me think the original might have stripped out and been replaced (which is something that happened a lot back then with the saddles on those old Schaller baseplates).
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Great introduction! Welcome to the forum! I love everything about that guitar.

Looks like you did an admirable job with the cleanup and restoration. Surprised you only took one photo of that beauty. Would love to see more. 😀

May we ask how much you paid? Nothing surprises me any more, but it's always satisfying to know that people got themselves a good price.

For the missing whammy bar, truss rod cover, and screws, try https://www.fretsonthenet.com/Charve...%20-%20usa.htm The owner is a JCF member and highly recommended.

As for the case, I am not sure if there were any mass-produced Jackson-labeled cases that would fit a Strat body in combination with pointy headstock, but there are Charvel ones, specifically Charvel "chainsaw cases" meant for the bolt-neck Charvel Model Series of the late 1980s which did have Strat bodies paired with pointy headstocks. I go into some detail here: https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...l-strat-bodies and there are links within that topic that lead to older discussion topics and photos worth exploring as I continue my quest to find suitable cases for my orphaned guitars. Find yourself a Charvel "guitar logo" chainsaw case which fits a Model Series guitar (Strat body, pointy headstock), not a Charvel "toothpaste logo" chainsaw case (Dinky body, pointy headstock). Your full-sized Strat body will almost certainly not fit in the cavity of the "toothpaste" logo case.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
        Great introduction! Welcome to the forum! I love everything about that guitar.

Looks like you did an admirable job with the cleanup and restoration. Surprised you only took one photo of that beauty. Would love to see more. 😀

May we ask how much you paid? Nothing surprises me any more, but it's always satisfying to know that people got themselves a good price.

For the missing whammy bar, truss rod cover, and screws, try https://www.fretsonthenet.com/Charve...%20-%20usa.htm The owner is a JCF member and highly recommended.

As for the case, I am not sure if there were any mass-produced Jackson-labeled cases that would fit a Strat body in combination with pointy headstock, but there are Charvel ones, specifically Charvel "chainsaw cases" meant for the bolt-neck Charvel Model Series of the late 1980s which did have Strat bodies paired with pointy headstocks. I go into some detail here: https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...l-strat-bodies and there are links within that topic that lead to older discussion topics and photos worth exploring as I continue my quest to find suitable cases for my orphaned guitars. Find yourself a Charvel "guitar logo" chainsaw case which fits a Model Series guitar (Strat body, pointy headstock), not a Charvel "toothpaste logo" chainsaw case (Dinky body, pointy headstock). Your full-sized Strat body will almost certainly not fit in the cavity of the "toothpaste" logo case.
        Deal of the century... the pawn shop had it on the wall for $599. Then I acted like I wasn't going to buy it when they didn't have the case or bar, and I explained to them how I would need to take it all apart to clean it. In the end I paid $425! I was ready to pay the full $599 if they stuck to it, as I knew the potential once I saw it. I honestly bought it to flip it, but since I got it so cheap, it cleaned up so nice, and sounds/plays like a dream. I've decided to keep it.

Thanks for the info on the case and parts.

I'll do a photo shoot (and a video) with the guitar once I get the missing parts. I'll share here for sure.

Comment

Those pop-in Ibanez bars will also work. Would love to see more pics.

Comment

OH MAN...!
            8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

Welcome and congrats! That is an awesome Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                Those pop-in Ibanez bars will also work. Would love to see more pics.
                will they work? that's not a JT6. that is a 590, it screws in from the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

will they work? that's not a JT6. that is a 590, it screws in from the outside.
                  Oh, yeah, that is a Schaller/JT590. Looked real quick and thought it was a JT6.

Comment

1. Do you think the HS-3 is original? The route would never fit the deep Jackson J-200, it barely fits the HS3. Did they not use Jackson pickup covers if the pickups were custom ordered?

I don't think it is original. Why would we use mismatched pickups.
                    At least it is in the neck position, where it would make the most sense to have a "favorite" pickup.

3. How rare is this neck, I see lots of 24 fret maple boards with black sharkfins, but never the bolt on strat necks?

"rare" is a perspective. For example, the 3 years 1987-1989, there were 5797 bolt ons made. In the grand scheme of guitars, all of them are fairly rare.
                    I would say that, out of those 6000 bolt ons, yeah, a 22 fret maple fretboard with black shark fins would not be a very popular custom order choice - which equals rare. Truth is, the majority of the Strats are going to be rosewood with dots. Other popular (more common, less rare) options would be the ebony and/or mop shark fins.
                    Maple with black shark fins simply didn't have a huge following back then. Yes, rare. On a 22 fret, even rarer.

5. Any ideas for a case that would snug fit this beauty, I broke an 85 Charvel neck at the nut once.

Strats didn't fit the chainsaw cases.

Comment

Nice Vintage Style! Considering that back in 1989 Jackson USA guitars were built to order, I would say that neck is probably a one-off that was produced to the spec the original owner requested... since the neck and body share the same workorder #.

Looking at the catalog they had some maple neck 22s. Though the catalog does not show them with sharkfin inlays, that would have been an option you could order.

https://guitar-compare.com/wp-conten...on_Catalog.pdf

Comment

Welcome and very cool guitar!! Love the fretboard.

Comment

The Original Floyd Rose bar with the smooth shaft and threaded collar works with the JT590.
                          This one: https://floydrose.com/collections/pa...nt=29922878994

The 1000 series may work but I can't say 100%. The special is slightly different and doesn't fully tighten down, but would work in a pinch.
                          Last edited by Dak; 02-07-2020, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

I don't think it is original. Why would we use mismatched pickups.
                            At least it is in the neck position, where it would make the most sense to have a "favorite" pickup.

"rare" is a perspective. For example, the 3 years 1987-1989, there were 5797 bolt ons made. In the grand scheme of guitars, all of them are fairly rare.
                            I would say that, out of those 6000 bolt ons, yeah, a 22 fret maple fretboard with black shark fins would not be a very popular custom order choice - which equals rare. Truth is, the majority of the Strats are going to be rosewood with dots. Other popular (more common, less rare) options would be the ebony and/or mop shark fins.
                            Maple with black shark fins simply didn't have a huge following back then. Yes, rare. On a 22 fret, even rarer.

Strats didn't fit the chainsaw cases.

Not true about the cases. I have both a 1986 model ( full size strat body bolt on ) and a 1988 model 5fx. (Dinky body neck thru). Both have charvel branded chainsaw cases.
                            The 5fx will not fit the 3's case well...it's sloppy.
                            The 3 will not fit the 5 fx's case (guitar body is too large for dinky molding in that case)

So they fit chainsaw cases, but it needs to be the chainsaw cases FOR those body styles

I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I posted a bunch of pictures in the Jackson facebook groups for this guitar. I'll try to get them on my personal website to share here too...

Comment

Working...
                              X