• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinky USA Select - Birdseye body top

Hi, everyone!
    My first post!

i am a Jackson and Charvel big fan.
    I read the threads often and I see the huge knowledge level many of you have, and I feel honored to be participating here.
    Last edited by Jose Luis Gemignani; 01-18-2020, 08:21 PM.

You can choose to not have the custom shop on the headstock. I dont see anything wrong with that.

Comment

Why bother getting anything "custom" if you are buying it 'off the rack' from a store.
      But, also, the webpage doesn't use the word 'custom'.

Comment

Thank you for the answers.

How can one know it is a “Select” model?

Comment

Jacksons made in the USA are either from the Artist Signature or the USA Select line.

Within the USA Select line, there are “Custom Selects”. If a guitar is ordered with non-standard options for that model, it is a “Custom Select” and can have the “Custom Shop” logo and/or truss rod cover.

Funny thing though, you can order a standard USA select and ask for the custom shop logo or the custom shop truss rod cover and the custom shop logo/cover makes it non-standard and thus a Custom Select.

Custom Selects come with a certificate of authenticity that identifies the guitar as a Custom Select. On Soloists, Select serial numbers typically use the format “UXXXXX” while Custom Select serial numbers typically use the format “JXXXX”. This is not a solid, 100% rule though.

EDIT: Not all Artist Signatures are made in the USA. Many are, some are not.
          Last edited by CaptNasty; 01-19-2020, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
            Jacksons made in the USA are either from the Artist Signature or the USA Select line.

Within the USA Select line, there are “Custom Selects”. If a guitar is ordered with non-standard options for that model, it is a “Custom Select” and can have the “Custom Shop” logo and/or truss rod cover.

Funny thing though, you can order a standard USA select and ask for the custom shop logo or the custom shop truss rod cover and the custom shop logo/cover makes it non-standard and thus a Custom Select.

Custom Selects come with a certificate of authenticity that identifies the guitar as a Custom Select. On Soloists, Select serial numbers typically use the format “UXXXXX” while Custom Select serial numbers typically use the format “JXXXX”. This is not a solid, 100% rule though.
            Excellent explanation!

thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Luis Gemignani View Post

Excellent explanation!

thank you very much!
              NP.

The whole Select/Custom Select thing feels weird/confusing because Jackson USA really operates on a “build to order” model. They publish catalogs and model specs, but they don’t pre-build a bunch of the catalog guitars.

Anyone who makes an order for a USA Jackson, be it a guitar shop ordering a bunch of guitars or a player ordering a single one-off “custom shop” instrument has the guitars built specifically for their order.

My point is that the line between a Select and Custom Select can get quite “blurry” because Jackson USA still operates under what is essentially a custom build/custom shop model for every guitar they produce. Some are based on predefined specs (Selects) some are customized/personalized (Custom Selects). I think that is very cool personally.

With Selects the cost of the instrument is a little cheaper due to the predefined nature of the specs. On a Custom Select you will pay more for the ability to “roll your own”. All in all, a Custom Select is not much more expensive than a Select... in my experience mine have run $400-500 above a comparable Select.

Masterbuilt USA Jacksons are a comletely different beast. You will spend $$$$$ and the sky is the limit... as is the price tag. Custom Selects limit you from doing certain things: wood carving, altering body shapes, basically things that move a guitar out of a template of options that are available for Custom Selects. Masterbuilt removes those shackles. I think you pay an $1800 masterbuilt fee plus the cost of the guitar for Masterbuilts.
              Last edited by CaptNasty; 01-19-2020, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post

NP.

The whole Select/Custom Select thing feels weird/confusing because Jackson USA really operates on a “build to order” model. They publish catalogs and model specs, but they don’t pre-build a bunch of the catalog guitars.

Anyone who makes an order for a USA Jackson, be it a guitar shop ordering a bunch of guitars or a player ordering a single one-off “custom shop” instrument has the guitars built specifically for their order.

My point is that the line between a Select and Custom Select can get quite “blurry” because Jackson USA still operates under what is essentially a custom build/custom shop model for every guitar they produce. Some are based on predefined specs (Selects) some are customized/personalized (Custom Selects). I think that is very cool personally.

With Selects the cost of the instrument is a little cheaper due to the predefined nature of the specs. On a Custom Select you will pay more for the ability to “roll your own”. All in all, a Custom Select is not much more expensive than a Select... in my experience mine have run $400-500 above a comparable Select.

Masterbuilt USA Jacksons are a comletely different beast. You will spend $$$$$ and the sky is the limit... as is the price tag. Custom Selects limit you from doing certain things: wood carving, altering body shapes, basically things that move a guitar out of a template of options that are available for Custom Selects. Masterbuilt removes those shackles. I think you pay an $1800 masterbuilt fee plus the cost of the guitar for Masterbuilts.
                Very interesting and curious points!
                Once again, big thank you!

Comment

Working...
                X