Rosewood fretboard versus Ebony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosewood fretboard versus Ebony?

What can I expect with a rosewood Fretboard versus the typical ebony on a USA custom shop Dinky?

brown streaky wood of varying shades with lots of nooks and crevices
    vs
    brown streaky to black wood with tight grain

Comment

Good to know!
      Thnaks

Comment

I've been playing guitars for over 15 years. With jumbo frets I don't really feel any difference. I generally prefer the look of ebony over rosewood, but the nicest rosewood boards are often as beautiful as a typical ebony board.

Comment

I like both all black ebony boards or highly figured rosewood boards. With jumbo and especially extra jumbo frets, rosewood isn`t a problem from finger drag on the fingerboard. I have to adjust pressure on medium jumbo frets or smaller. I`d rather not feel the fingerboard.

Comment

Ebony is KING in my book. The standard fretboard for top o' the line Jacksons due to its and it has a crisp attack that rosewood can't match.
            '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
            '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
            '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
            '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
            '90 Charvel 475 XL
            '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
            Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
            Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
            Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Ebony is harder than rosewood. Tone will be brighter and pinch harmonics will come off easier, You will also notice a slight increase in sustain.
              [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Ebony lends to a sharper, snappier attack.

I also find ebony to require less maintenance. The tighter grain picks up less dirt and oil and as a result requires less cleaning and conditioning. YMMV.

Comment

Just to point out from previous comments:
                  1. When you use effects, you hear less of the natural tone from woods. And, in some cases, you even compensate tonality by using your effects without even realizing it.
                  2. Ebony isn't always black, so those of you liking the look of it need to be more specific. Even when it is black, sometimes you are looking at a dye job.

And, me, personally, I have always found ebony to feel gritty. Not rough gritty like sand. But more like there is a soft layer of something on it, and when you press down you kind of feel like you are sinking in to the fretboard.

Comment

I agree with the effects. I find the opposite with the wood. Yes many shades can happen with the color, especially when ebony forests began (and should ) be monitored more closely.Everyone wanted pure black, many times it has ribbons of brown.. Ebony on my USA Jacksons is smooth as silk and hard as a rock (which it should be). Rosewood is grainy and softer wood. Dye job shouldn't fake you out. Ebony grain is much tighter and smooth versus rosewood or pau ferro.. I also find the ebony and maple fretboards to sound much brighter.

Comment

I agree with the effects. I find the opposite with the wood. Yes many shades can happen with the color, especially when ebony forests began (and should ) be monitored more closely.Everyone wanted pure black, many times it has ribbons of brown.. Ebony on my USA Jacksons is smooth as silk and hard as a rock (which it should be). Rosewood is grainy and softer wood. Dye job shouldn't fake you out. Ebony grain is much tighter and smooth versus rosewood or pau ferro.. I also find the ebony and maple fretboards to sound much brighter.

Comment

Woah, how did that happen?

Comment

Ebony is 30% (Gabon/African ebony) to 40% (Macassar ebony) harder than East Indian rosewood, on average. Brazilian rosewood is somewhere in the middle. Unless you got a major outlier of soft wood, I think your mind is playing tricks on you if your ebony feels soft or anything other than hard, lustrous, and even somewhat glassy if polished well.

It's already covered here about the differences in feel and appearance between rosewood and ebony. More important to me, however, and as stated by treachery and axemann is the brightness of ebony in sound. This can be very apparent in some guitars, especially maple neck-thru instruments. I consider the difference in sound between rosewood and ebony to be not subtle at all.
                          Last edited by metalhobo; 03-15-2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X