Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a USA Soloist with an Oiled Neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a USA Soloist with an Oiled Neck?

Thinking of adding a USA Soloist with an oiled speed neck to the collection but have never encountered a USA Soloist with an oiled neck so I have no idea of what to expect from the fit and finish.

Spent about an hour on an Indonesian SL2Q MAH today that had an oiled speed neck. It played decent. The pickups were direct mounted and the pickup routes were sloppy. The inlay job was not great. The fret ends were not bad but not great. On the neck, the transition from oiled to finished had a very pronounced hump. The oiled neck was also rough. Perhaps “rough” is too harsh of a characterization, but it was nowhere near as soft and satiny as the neck on my Custom Select USA Dinky.

Curious about the details of how an oiled USA Soloist neck transitions from oiled to finished. Is the transition smooth or can you feel a hump at the transition?

Also so curious about the neck finish. How smooth and soft is the neck?

Any insight anyone can give is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by CaptNasty; 09-03-2019, 02:36 PM.

I've got a USA soloist with an oiled neck. The transition is great, no hump whatsoever. The clear coat goes a little further up the neck than the black paint on the body (you can see the two layers of finish) but I can't feel a thing. Just the change in feel from clear coat to oiled wood.

I ordered it from the custom shop back in 99 because I always wanted a soloist without a painted neck. I really like the feel of the oiled neck. Much smoother than the Jackson USA fusion I have, and not as sticky as the finish on my USA Fender strat or my Les Paul Class V.

The neck isn't a speed neck, but I have a different custom shop soloist with the speed neck (painted though). I love that neck.

Comment

Hi Ward,

Thanks for the response. Based on your feedback I will be adding one of these to my collection.

I suspected the USA Soloist would have a better fit and finish on the oiled neck than the Pro series I played.

Thanks again.

Comment

Post back to this thread if you get it (or post a new thread) and let me know what you think of it. I'd be amazed if you weren't very happy with it.

Comment

Now the search begins. I think it could take a while to find a USA Soloist with an oiled speed neck. I don’t think building is an option because I believe the speed neck is only available on Mastebuilt instruments and they are not taking Masterbuilt orders now. When I find something, I will definitely post back here on JCF.

There is only 1 USA Soloist available that has an oiled speed neck and it is in Canada with local pickup only. This could take a while.
          Last edited by CaptNasty; 09-06-2019, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I have a few CS that have an oiled neck. You can not feel the transition between the neck and where it was masked off from painting the body and head stock. Similar to an unfinished neck.

If I have a keeper and the neck is clear coated; I will sand off the clear coat because I can not stand the sticky feeling.

Comment

Hi hazar,

Thanks for the response. The transition on oiled soloist necks seems to be a big differentiator between the Pro Series and US made instruments. I am looking forward to adding an oil neck soloist to my stable.

So you have stripped Soloist necks before. How do you do it? Do you take it down all the way to wood or do you jist make it a Satin finish? Do you have pics you coild share?

Comment

that's cool that the usa jackson heels are smooth for oil/lacquer transition. the only instruments I've played with neck-through/oiled neck combinations have been carvins, and on those the transition it definitely apparent. not annoying, nor ugly, but present. jackson must do some good sanding on the hard finish to make it smooth.

Comment

You mask off the top and bottom of the neck where you want the clear coat to stay and just use really fine steel wood or sand paper to take the "shiny" off the neck......make it satin. Not to the bare wood. You just do it real lightly and take your time. It makes the neck feel great......... it looks kind of shitty but feels much better to my hand than the sticky feeling. I'll try to take a few pics over the weekend. It looks much better with the oiled neck from the factory but taking off the clear coat on a painted neck makes it feel the same...........to me anyway.

Comment

I couldn't imagine having to deal with a hump. Mine are matte black with no clear coat and the transition is seamless to my hands. I could see how some heavy clear coating could create a hump though.
                    Last edited by hazar; 09-07-2019, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hazar View Post
                      I couldn't imagine having to deal with a hump. Mine are matte black with no clear coat and the transition is seamless to my hands. I could see how some heavy clear coating could create a hump though.
                      It sounds like Jackson produces the guitars to specifically ensure a seamless transition based on feedback here and on TGP. That is a nice level of attention to detail IMO.

Comment

Here's the transition of one of my soloists (post 2010 custom selects)

Comment

Originally posted by 1b4n3z View Post
                          Here's the transition of one of my soloists (post 2010 custom selects)
                          Thanks brother. Thanks for sharing! This is how mine look as well with the exception of mine being matte....sl2 and rr...... Nice and clean line.....Im tring to figure out how to post pics......stuff's hard for an old guy
                          Last edited by hazar; 09-07-2019, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X