Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this USA Jackson legit?

Hi everyone.

I must mention that althought I've playing guitar for more than 20 years and after owning lots and lots of guitars in this time (US made and imports), I've never had experience with Jacksons; that's why I pulled the trigger on this as an "impulse buy" but now with a cold head I'd like to know if it's a real USA Jackson or no:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-SL2...rdt=true&rt=nc

The Soloists I've seen have necks with white binding and also the tuners are regular Jacksons; most high end US made superstrats that I've had or played have Gotoh or Grover tuners.

Please let me know your thoughts... I have not picked up the guitar yet, and I'd like to know if it would be better to: a) grab the guitar and enjoy, b) withdraw the deal or c) grab it and resell it ASAP.

Your comments are greatly appreciated; thank you!!!

Wow, that guitar is awesome. I'd guess it's someone's Custom Select SL2H. Strange that the seller's description says there is no serial number after the 24th fret. But the rest of the guitar has all the hallmarks of an American SL2H including real MOP headstock logo, real MOP finlays, OFR, ebony fretboard, Jackson-labeled Gotoh SG38 tuners, etc.

The most significant difference is the black binding which is almost imperceptible against the ebony fretboard, and the matching-color headstock, because solid finished USA Select Series normally come with black headstocks. This is why I think your guitar is someone's Custom Select order; it's a normal SL2H with some small tweaks to the buyer's taste, which the Jackson Custom Select Series accommodates.

I think you did well for that price.

Comment

Thank you very much for your comments. Just curious... what is exactly Custom Select? Is it similar to a custom shop? I'm sorry but I know next to nothing about Jackson guitars.

Comment

Custom Select: https://www.jacksonguitars.com/custo.../select-series
        Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 09-02-2019, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Oh I see. I'm a bit confused now, since the few custom made Jacksons I've seen in the past say Custom Shop in the headstock, near the tip.

Comment

Don't quote me on this, but I'm nearly certain the "Custom Shop" script on the headstock is optional to include or omit.

Comment

Looks legit, but given the seller has pawn in his username someone might have sanded off the serial number.

Comment

Originally posted by Satanhead View Post
                Thank you very much for your comments. Just curious... what is exactly Custom Select? Is it similar to a custom shop? I'm sorry but I know next to nothing about Jackson guitars.
                A Custom Select is a one off guitar that is built to customer specification. The Jackson Select product line is the USA made product line. Their top of the line production guitars. Select models are not customizable and come the way that Jackson specs them. If a production Select model is not exactly what a customer wants they have the option place a custom order. This allows the customer to personalize the Select model for a slightly higher price... this a Custom Select. The Custom Select has a lot of options, but you are limited by what they allow.

The wait time for Custom Selects vary. I have one on order now. The wait time is 10-12 months. I got one last year and the wait time was 4 months. I believe the options you select (especially finish) impacts the wait time. The guitar that took 4 months was a solid colored Dinky. The one currently on order is a trans finish with a quilted maple top and the quote is 10-12 months.

If a Custom Select does not offer the options you want, you can go Masterbuilt. With Masterbuilt if you are willing to pay the price, and wait about two years; you can have them build damn near anything you want.
                Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                Don't quote me on this, but I'm nearly certain the "Custom Shop" script on the headstock is optional to include or omit.
                You are correct. The order form for Custom Select and Masterbuilt guitars allows you to specify if you want the “Custom Shop” logo on the headstock.
                Last edited by CaptNasty; 09-03-2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Guys thank you so much for all your comments. So, based on your replies it seems that I got a very nice guitar; I'm excited now hehehe; I've always wanted a US made Jackson. Most of my favorite bands when I was a kid played Jacksons at some point of their careers... Megadeth, Slayer, Kreator, Anthrax, Sepultura, Iron Maiden...

As soon as I have her in my hands I'll let you know.
                  Last edited by Satanhead; 09-09-2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Hope you get the guitar safe and sound. After you receive it, be sure to update us with any other features you notice that differ from a stock USA Select Series SL2H.

Comment

The no serial is trippy...........guitar looks to be a legit Jackson. Is the logo on the head stock higher than the clear coat? it looks to be a sticker but my eyes are old. the Made in USA looks to be under the clear coat while the logo does not. Looks nice though.
                      Last edited by hazar; 09-09-2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I saw that one being discussed on f***book. Congrats on winning the auction, it's a sweet looking guitar!

There are guitars floating around without serial numbers. A friend of mine had a KE2 with no serial number. Not a fake, not sanded off. Sanding the fretboard deep enough to remove a serial should create a visible difference between fret 24 and the end of the fretboard, right? It should be easier to fill the serial with ebony dust and superglue if one wanted to get rid of it..? Perhaps that would be visible under a blacklight?
                        https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Originally posted by Satanhead View Post
                          Guys thank you so much for all your comments. So, based on your replies it seems that I got a very nice guitar; I'm excited now hehehe; I've always wanted a US made Jackson. Most of my favorite bands when I was a kid played Jacksons at some point of their careers... Megadeth, Slayer, Kreator, Anthrax, Sepultura, Iron Maiden...

As soon as I have her in my hands I'll let you know.
                          Yes, you got a very nice guitar at a really good price. Enjoy it. Like Number of the Priest said, look for the things the owner did since it is a custom Select. Take a look at a Custom Select order form to see what options you have then see if you can figure out what they chose.

Originally posted by hazar View Post
                          The no serial is trippy...........guitar looks to be a legit Jackson. Is the logo on the head stock higher than the clear coat? it looks to be a sticker but my eyes are old. the Made in USA looks to be under the clear coat while the logo does not. Looks nice though.
                          Hey Hazar. The no serial # thing is not necessarily a red flag. Some endorsement and employee builds have been created without serials. I imagine the occasional guitar could slip out of the factory sans serial # too, after all they produced like a 25 fret Soloist on one occasion.

Originally posted by Anders View Post
                          I saw that one being discussed on f***book. Congrats on winning the auction, it's a sweet looking guitar!

There are guitars floating around without serial numbers. A friend of mine had a KE2 with no serial number. Not a fake, not sanded off. Sanding the fretboard deep enough to remove a serial should create a visible difference between fret 24 and the end of the fretboard, right? It should be easier to fill the serial with ebony dust and superglue if one wanted to get rid of it..? Perhaps that would be visible under a blacklight?
                          What was the discussion on Facebook?
                          Last edited by CaptNasty; 09-10-2019, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
                            What was the discussion on Facebook?
                            They were discussing its authenticity in the "Jackson Made in U.S.A" group. Search the group for "fake" and you'll find it. Tried to create a direct link, but I can't even manage that in a straight-forward way. I really hate Facebook, haha!
                            https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Facebook discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1703...8080663207553/

Comment

Working...
                              X