Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you consider the ultimate passive bridge pickup for a Soloist HSS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, I may forward that chart to them for their own education for future customers. I expect them to already know things like this, but I guess there are a lot of quirks in the gear universe....
    '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
    '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
    '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
    '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
    '90 Charvel 475 XL
    '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
    Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
    Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
    Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Another change (should be the last one!).

I swapped in a J80C to replace the J90C and feel it is a big improvement. The J90C is so hot and fat sounding that it req'd adjustment of the EQ on my midrange-endowed Mesa Mark rigs compared to my other guitars, and even then wasn't as bright and articulate as the slightly milder J80C, the Goldilocks pickup!

The J50BC is slightly soft for my taste as a crunch pickup, but great for leads.
      The J90C is too fat for the kind of ~Slayer crunch I like, but a great, scorching lead pickup.

The J80C is just right! More teeth than the 50, but not as blubbery the 90 for crunch riffs. It is my standard Jackson pickup going forward and the answer to my Quest.

Also my notes on the 32mm Titanium Floyd block + Claw---the block (primarily) adds more of everything, although with more emphasis on the highs instead of lows as you get with a brass block. I don't really consider blocks necessary for guitars that already have everything with great balance (like SOLOISTS), but it is cool to have for one guitar at least. Could be bright to the point of being slightly brittle with an already bright guitar or amp.
      '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
      '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
      '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
      '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
      '90 Charvel 475 XL
      '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
      Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
      Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
      Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Working...
      X