Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This has got to be a joke, right?

https://reverb.com/item/20087482-198...lted-maple-top

I'm not too knowledgeable about prices on early Jacksons but right before this listing popped up, I remembered seeing this

https://reverb.com/item/16947985-jac...dimas-usa-1985

Now this has to be a rip off, right?

Not a rip off but priced ridiculously for sure. The seller also seems befuddled, or lying, about the Ontario move and sale to IMC.

In short, the seller is a bit of a goof.

Comment

I first noticed this guitar listed on Kijiji in Canada in September 2018. I made this thread about it, and because of it, now I'd recognize the guitar anywhere.

Here's that thread. https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...OHSC-(CAD-900)

Thanks to JCFer neilli, he identified it as a reworked white Kelly Student bearing serial number J0742. He has been tracking the guitar even longer, since April 2015. The guitar has passed through several hands since then.

A Facebook user on the Jackson Made in U.S.A group tried several times to flip the guitar. His name was Sean Malloy and he lives in Canada.

It now looks like it's made its way to England and being flipped by Keith Gannon from Essex Recording Studios. The studio/seller is well known for video-documenting many pieces of gear that pass through their shop, posting those videos on Youtube, and then inflating the price in a listing that includes the accompanying Youtube video. It's not my place to judge what others do in their sales listings. More power to them.

I'm not superstitious, but sometimes I let my imagination run wild and I've made up a story in my mind where this guitar is cursed and nobody wants it, hence why it keeps being passed around.

Comment

Looks like the pickup switch was moved. If it was re-topped, it was done pretty well. I had an original one that looked identical to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          I first noticed this guitar listed on Kijiji in Canada in September 2018. I made this thread about it, and because of it, now I'd recognize the guitar anywhere.

Here's that thread. https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...OHSC-(CAD-900)

Thanks to JCFer neilli, he identified it as a reworked white Kelly Student bearing serial number J0742. He has been tracking the guitar even longer, since April 2015. The guitar has passed through several hands since then.

A Facebook user on the Jackson Made in U.S.A group tried several times to flip the guitar. His name was Sean Malloy and he lives in Canada.

It now looks like it's made its way to England and being flipped by Keith Gannon from Essex Recording Studios. The studio/seller is well known for video-documenting many pieces of gear that pass through their shop, posting those videos on Youtube, and then inflating the price in a listing that includes the accompanying Youtube video. It's not my place to judge what others do in their sales listings. More power to them.

I'm not superstitious, but sometimes I let my imagination run wild and I've made up a story in my mind where this guitar is cursed and nobody wants it, hence why it keeps being passed around.
          Passed Around is not a good sign.... I would never get (buy) a refinish unless it was already mine and one of the few "keeper for forever" guitars and I was refinishing the original.....They did a good job refinishing but I would avoid this one just from the history. Would be interesting to know why.

Comment

Yeah, that seller's asking prices are insane. A reworked Kelly Student for 3300? WTF.

(and I'm from the UK, so I'm not unaware of the higher prices over there)
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Everything from that Essex Studio seller is almost always double the price of what it should be. They have had several model series Charvels for well over double what they usually go for. He probably makes a ton of money waiting for that ONE guy who is willing to pay anything right at the right moment.

Comment

Yeah, and in some ways good for him. It's capitalism after all, and it's not like he's buying something nobody else could have grabbed, and it's not like it's something vital like a kidney. If you don't like the prices, walk away..

Comment

Originally posted by EntrailsOfU View Post
                  Everything from that Essex Studio seller is almost always double the price of what it should be. They have had several model series Charvels for well over double what they usually go for. He probably makes a ton of money waiting for that ONE guy who is willing to pay anything right at the right moment.
                  You need to take into consideration where he lives man, those guys over there pay insane prices for mid grade imports, let alone USA models...have you priced shipping gear over there lately? I have...just priced a guitar to ship UPS and the cheapest quote was $800 USD to the UK, I sent a set of Bill Lawrence USA L500XL and L500R over to Scotland, it costed $300 to ship them UPS ...the pickups were only 100 dollars via GC new. I shipped a 24 volt mod (its the size of a 9 volt battery) to Australia and that costed 100 USD the item was only like 28 bucks. So, yeah, his prices are aimed at his market.
                  \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

essex is crap, prices aside, he's bought guitars with known issues and resisted them with no mention of the problems. $$ is $ but flipping screwed up guitars is BS.

Originally posted by Jackson8090s View Post
                    You need to take into consideration where he lives man, those guys over there pay insane prices for mid grade imports, let alone USA models...have you priced shipping gear over there lately? I have...just priced a guitar to ship UPS and the cheapest quote was $800 USD to the UK, I sent a set of Bill Lawrence USA L500XL and L500R over to Scotland, it costed $300 to ship them UPS ...the pickups were only 100 dollars via GC new. I shipped a 24 volt mod (its the size of a 9 volt battery) to Australia and that costed 100 USD the item was only like 28 bucks. So, yeah, his prices are aimed at his market.

Comment

This guy is always doing the same... every reasonably priced USA Jackson/Charvel in Europe ends up in his hands, and then he inmediately puts it on sale at double the price. I like his youtube videos, though...

Comment

That's a seller I wouldn't trust buying anything from. He's been called out on FB for listing a guitar that wasn't even in his possession (based on the fact he listed it the day after he bought it from a buyer in another country) in better condition that it'd previously been listed for, claiming to be from his personal collection. He has cool stuff occasionally, but even if the prices were in the ballpark of reality, I'd pass just because I wouldn't risk doing business with him. .

Comment

Originally posted by x_zac10 View Post
                          He's been called out on FB for listing a guitar that wasn't even in his possession (based on the fact he listed it the day after he bought it from a buyer in another country) in better condition that it'd previously been listed for, claiming to be from his personal collection.
                          Do you have a link? Did this happen on the Jackson Made in U.S.A group on Facebook? If so, I don't see it in the search results for his name (https://www.facebook.com/search/post...n&epa=SERP_TAB). I think he is no longer part of the group, as indicated by his grayed-out name when you click on any of his posts.

Comment

Yeah, that's where it happened. I think a lot of the posts got deleted because it quickly became a mess. I do remember that it was regarding an Absinthe Green WR1 that he paid like $1k for. It had been shared in the group as a heads up to other members. He bragged about buying it, then resisted immediately for like 2.5x the price, using the original seller's pics and downplaying the damage. It's his right to flip stuff, I wasn't even mad about that, but the blatant way he did it without even having possession and upgrading the condition from the previous listing was just not honest.

Comment

Yeah, it was on that group (I'm an admin there) - it was just getting a bit much with the guy, so we shut it down.

Comment

Working...
                              X