PC1 sustainer help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC1 sustainer help needed

I posted this in response on another thread, but hope this might get more attention...

I just bought a 1997 PC1 at a good (if I can fix this) price and have one big problem. The guitar works great in regular mode, but it squeals like crazy in harmonic mode on any pickup unless I turn the intensity knob or the adjustment pits way down. Then there is NO harmonic response and greatly reduced normal sustaining. If I leave it turned back up the regular sustainer works ok.
    i called Jackson/Fender, but they aren’t a ton of help. Is this broken? I have been soldering for 30 years, so if it is a specific component I could replace it.
    Last edited by Exodus5; 02-27-2019, 02:43 PM.

Check out these Google-powered search results regarding PC1 Sustainer squeal. Hopefully at least one of them addresses what you're asking: https://www.google.com/search?newwin...j0.KTCK9ljdMTU

Comment

Sounds like it needs to be cleaned and/or readjusted.
      First thing to try is just disconnect and reconnect ALL the connectors and make sure they're solid and not dirt. Seriously... sometimes that's all it takes.
      If that doesn't resolve it, you'll have to adjust the gain.

Remove the back cover and locate the two trim pots on the board.
      There are two small holes in the board that allow you to adjust without pulling the board.
      Get a small PLASTIC #00 phillips screwdriver to adjust the pots.

Locate the trim pot located closer to the edge of the board (gain pot).
      Turn on the sustainer and max out the intensity knob.
      Turn the trim pot clockwise until the squeal goes away.
      You shouldn't have to adjust the other trim pot as that controls the intensity level.
      -Rick

Comment

Thanks for your ideas. I reseated everything and made sure the connectors were clean and tight - no change. I had already found some threads in here with info from you, so I have already tried adjusting the two trim pots - no change. Once I get it to stop squealing the normally present and good “normal” mode is no longer detected and the harmonic setting never produces anything.
        i did note that if I turn it up until it is squealing I can strike higher frequency notes and it works...the harmonic is there, but as the note fades a bit the squeal comes back.

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
        Sounds like it needs to be cleaned and/or readjusted.
        First thing to try is just disconnect and reconnect ALL the connectors and make sure they're solid and not dirt. Seriously... sometimes that's all it takes.
        If that doesn't resolve it, you'll have to adjust the gain.

Remove the back cover and locate the two trim pots on the board.
        There are two small holes in the board that allow you to adjust without pulling the board.
        Get a small PLASTIC #00 phillips screwdriver to adjust the pots.

Locate the trim pot located closer to the edge of the board (gain pot).
        Turn on the sustainer and max out the intensity knob.
        Turn the trim pot clockwise until the squeal goes away.
        You shouldn't have to adjust the other trim pot as that controls the intensity level.

Comment

Have you made any adjustments tot he pickup height?
          3/8" - 1/4" from the strings seems to be the sweet spot for the sustainer driver.

If none of that fixes it, you may just have a board that has gone bad.
          It's 21 years old, so it would not surprise me.
          -Rick

Comment

Have you made any adjustments tot he pickup height?
            3/8" - 1/4" from the strings seems to be the sweet spot for the sustainer driver.

If none of that fixes it, you may just have a board that has gone bad.
            It's 21 years old, so it would not surprise me.
            One strange thing that might be a cause...the intensity potentiometer is a 10k, looks different than the volume and has a metallic grind feel when turned and has a “center” notch. Is that normal?

Comment

It's supposed to be 10k.
              As for the center notch and grind feel, no, that's not normal. It may have been replaced at some point.

You can try replacing it. You'll need to source a 10k linear pot that fits in a 3/8" hole. Hard to find, but they do exist.
              -Rick

Comment

It's supposed to be 10k.
                As for the center notch and grind feel, no, that's not normal. It may have been replaced at some point.

You can try replacing it. You'll need to source a 10k linear pot that fits in a 3/8" hole. Hard to find, but they do exist.
                You weren’t kidding. No Alphas...no CTS....no Bourns...
                I may have to roll the dice with one of these off brands on Amazon.

Comment

Here's Bourns 10k pot from Mouser.
                  https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...SD0rfrq6lAw%3D

It will work and is probably more reliable than most Amazon pots.
                  The body is smaller than a regular pot, but this one is designed for guitar applications. The shaft size will fit.
                  Last edited by rjohnstone; 03-01-2019, 11:42 AM.
                  -Rick

Comment

Working...
                  X