Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning another Custom Select (SL1), a few questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning another Custom Select (SL1), a few questions.

I'm thinking of selling my Strat, among other pieces of gear I'm clearing out, for a Custom Select Soloist as my final piece of gear before saving for a house, and see that Blood Splatter is an option on the Custom Select sheet.

Can they do blood splatter on black? How about on black holoflake? And would black holoflake count as a sparkle finish for pricing? The rest of the changes from a stock SL1: graphite reinforcement, and DiMarzio Super Distortion / SDS-1 singles instead of the stock pickups.

Guessing this'd be around $3k assuming I don't do holoflake.

Blood splatter is traditionally done on a black base. On black holoflake? Don't know if they will do it, but suspect it may not come out like you expect. You'll have sparkles showing through the blood drips, I think.

I forget the upcharge for blood splatter, but most graphics will push you over $3k on a Soloist. I suspect more on a sparkle base (if they'll even permit it). Only way to know for sure on these questions is to ask a dealer.

Comment

So blood splatter is normally on black? Could have sworn the swatch on Jackson's site showed it on white. Nice to know.

Yeah, blood splatter holoflake was a silly idea. Still curious if holoflake is a sparkle upcharge ($520). On the 2018 price sheet at Matt's, blood splatter is a $300 upcharge.

My previous Custom Select, a Kelly, had similar upcharge changes (mahogany body, urethane to allow white finish, gold hardware, switching pickups from JB/Jazz to Custom/59), and came out around $3k, but that was about four years ago.
      Last edited by DesolationBlvd; 02-06-2019, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I suspect you could probably ask for any 2 colours on a blood splatter and they'd do it - can't see why it has to be red on black..
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Well, I asked about doing another graphic in a different color scheme last year or so, and was told "no changes allowed". But on something simple like blood splatter, I suspect a white, black or other basic color as a base would be OK. Maybe not holoflake, though. They've really cut back on allowing "exceptions", so don't take anything for granted anymore. Ask a dealer to be sure.

Comment

Working...
          X