PC1 Sustainer squealing like a MoFo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC1 Sustainer squealing like a MoFo

Hey guys, I have a few questions regarding my PC1.

I have a 2017 model, but the sustainer isn't working properly.
    It squeals in every position (Neck middle and Bridge) even if the sustainer is not active and even when I have no battery inside.
    When it is active it make a lot of noise and squeals even more; also some notes are not tracked by the system (mainly the D string).
    Doesn't matter if the 2 adjustable screw are touched, it just makes it worse.
    The volume when set to 0 (master volume of the pickups I mean) is still leaking some signal.

The Customer Service told me it's something related to the PCB board, so I had to contact the CS from my country to see if they have a PCB available (still no answer from them).

Any chance someone might know what it is?
    Thanks

Rick is your best bet - not sure how often he visits this forum now though...
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Hi Ryder. Sorry to hear of your problems. Rick is the master on PC-1's but your problem is not one that he can solve. The PC-1 sustainer board can be a little tricky to set-up but once its done it is a pleasure to play. A little bit like a well set-up Floyd Rose.

First question. Did you buy it new. Is it under warranty. Do you like the guitar as in neck, sound feel. When playing acousticly, unplugged.

If there is no battery in the unit I do not see how it can squeal with it being the amp, however I do not know all the variables so I would suggest moving to the next stage which is having the PCB board taken out (Carefully - you will have no problem selling it if you choose to) and setting up the guitar as a standard five way passive switch set-up. If this is not your thing most guitar shops/set-up guys can do this for you.

What country are you in.

Regards Paul

Comment

Are you able to lower the Sustainer’s pickup height? Does that make any difference?

Comment

Can't believe I missed this.
          The board still effects the signal even when the sustainer is not powered on.
          Unfortunately that is the symptom of bad IC. Requires a replacement board.
          Given its age, it could still be covered by the warranty.
          -Rick

Comment

Sorry for my late reply, just saw this.
            Would like to thank everybody that chimed in.

I actually got it fixed, and it was not the PCB: the issue was with the wiring itself, that's why it leaked signal with the volume closed.
            Sent it to a tech and in 5 minutes he solved it......but here's the funny part.
            No customer service from Jackson (both USA and EU) actually helped in the first 2-3 months; only after I kinda got pissed off and told them my feelings the USA Customer Service sent me a PCB for free (in the meanwhile, the EU Customer service had been already contacted and were waiting for a PCB board).
            After 1 month the USA PCB board arrived, I got another PCB board from the EU CS (Lol).

So I have 2 PCB brand new free of charge, and my PC1 is working as it should.

I must say, I'm pretty impressed with the guitar, in fact is the one I play the most.
            Not the easiest to play (The neck is pretty big, and I LOVE that) but it's easily the best sounding and extremely versatile too.

Comment

Originally posted by ryder View Post
              Sorry for my late reply, just saw this.
              Would like to thank everybody that chimed in.

I actually got it fixed, and it was not the PCB: the issue was with the wiring itself, that's why it leaked signal with the volume closed.
              Sent it to a tech and in 5 minutes he solved it......but here's the funny part.
              No customer service from Jackson (both USA and EU) actually helped in the first 2-3 months; only after I kinda got pissed off and told them my feelings the USA Customer Service sent me a PCB for free (in the meanwhile, the EU Customer service had been already contacted and were waiting for a PCB board).
              After 1 month the USA PCB board arrived, I got another PCB board from the EU CS (Lol).

So I have 2 PCB brand new free of charge, and my PC1 is working as it should.

I must say, I'm pretty impressed with the guitar, in fact is the one I play the most.
              Not the easiest to play (The neck is pretty big, and I LOVE that) but it's easily the best sounding and extremely versatile too.
              Nice work!
              Glad it was only wiring. Typically a failure of the internal switching on the IC would cause the symptoms you described.

Those boards are hard to come by and may come in handy in the future...they do eventually die.

The soldering, and wiring in general, on these guitars is atrocious more often than not.
              -Rick

Comment

Working...
              X