No announcement yet.

Hi, new member, with questions about a USA Jackson I'm looking at

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, taking a closer measurement, it is 1 11/16" nut width, which is 1/16 wider than the vintage 1 5/8" guitars I'm used to. I can feel it, but it's not that big of a deal.

On acoustics, I've sold guitars because of 1 3/4" nut widths. All of my Martins and Ovation have 1 11/16", and I can't go up to 1 3/4 comfortably or do thumb bass on them.

I'm making the 75 min. trip to my luthier this weekend anyway, so I'm going to let him measure and tweak the action, and this instrument will play like a wet dream.

Does anyone know if the chainsaw cases had silver paint on the embossed Jackson logo? Mine has remains of flaking paint, but it looks like someone did it at home.

Edit: also, thanks for hooking me up with Dave at FOTN. He's going to fix me up with the arm and cover.
    Last edited by Highway Star; 11-28-2018, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Hell, $800 would've been a deal. $400 is used import prices.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

That fretboard looks like a candidate for an ebony stain.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
          That fretboard looks like a candidate for an ebony stain.
          Do you know the process/product?
          I know plenty have been successfully stained for decades.

I've tried ebony minwax and it made it near black, though more extremely dark rosewood looking.
          India Ink made it pitch black, but any cleaning product or liquid will remove it. It'll eventually wear off in certain areas.

Looks great, though. After 8+ months it needs to be redone, but it's quick and simple.
          Aside from black paint I can't imagine what would be permanent.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

That's a rosewood fingerboard. I scrubbed off a lot of dirt to expose that grain. There's no way I'd put stain on it to hide it, and possibly have it wear unevenly or get splotchy. I used some Holloway House Lemon Oil furniture conditioner (not true lemon oil), and will likely apply that once in a while to bring out the grain and add some shine.

I have some Martin acoustics with ebony fingerboards. I "think" the black ebony is likely stained at the factory, and I've never seen one of those wear off. The one with striped ebony fb and bridge is beautiful. To me, there is no need to attempt to turn a beautifully figured slab of wood to solid black.

Also ... I took it to my luthier Sat. for a pro setup. It hadn't been setup in decades and was way out of adjusment, but it is playing super sweet now. I'm really anxious to get the trem bar & the cover plate. I guess several weeks to get those.
            Last edited by Highway Star; 12-03-2018, 03:55 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't stain that, either. I stained an import.
              Though, I'd let a pro stain it if he could guarantee the results.

Comment

No way I'd stain that. That rosewood board is killer!
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  No way I'd stain that. That rosewood board is killer!
                  ^^^^^ what he said. ^^^^^

Actually, most Jacksons that I've run across over the years, which is not a lot, have had ebony fingerboards. I was surprised that this one had rosewood. My technician said he's seen both. I don't mind it being unusual.

I will keep using the oil conditioner ... as the board is a little dry from the cleaning. It will shine and look great with those fins. The inlays are all in great shape and have nice color patterns. The binding is all tight too. Seems that Jackson did great with the build quality.

Comment

Ebony + sharkfins is practically a Jackson hallmark that screams "upscale Jackson", but for the era, rosewood was not uncommon.

For example...

The USA Jackson Student models were rosewood + dots.

If you include the Charvel brand, the Japanese Charvel Model 2, 3, 4, and 5 had rosewood + dots. Model 6, and the later variant of the Model 4, had what you have, rosewood + sharkfins.

90s and beyond had plenty of models that had rosewood plus any inlay.

Comment

I have plenty of rosewood boards I wouldn't stain.
                      But the reason I said I would this one is because of the other specs. I think a "black" board would look so much better on this.

Comment

Very cool guitar, congrats!!! Love the strat style body, the colour and the matching headstock. Can I ask what's the serial? Looks like 4512 to me. Mine is 4513, 87 ontario though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamolaci View Post
                          Very cool guitar, congrats!!! Love the strat style body, the colour and the matching headstock. Can I ask what's the serial? Looks like 4512 to me. Mine is 4513, 87 ontario though.
                          Thanks Kamo. My serial is 4532, and appears to be a 1989. Interesting, because I'd think there would be a larger spread in the numbers from 87 to 89, but maybe the number system is not sequential.

My new trem arm and truss cover plate should be here in a day or two ... and I'll probably get a new round of photos after it's complete. I've been playing it and getting used to the neck, and I'm really liking it. I think it will be taking the place of my Ibanez Voyager in the "hard rockin'-locking trem axe" department.

Yesterday I restored the plastic case which needed attention, and it came out pretty well too.

Comment

I got the truss rod cover plate, and trem arm from Dave at fretsonthenet, and it all went together very well. I've been playing it a lot, and am very happy with the instrument. Thanks very much to all who helped identify it.

Here are a couple of pics. The black / cream / black cover plate matches fairly well with my aged neck binding.

I'll likely look into the threaded bar trem attachment. I can't deal with the bar wiggle when the nut is loose in free swing mode.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Man, it's almost as if you found the original/old truss rod cover... the cream goes so well with the binding!

Comment

Working...
                              X