Hi, new member, with questions about a USA Jackson I'm looking at

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, new member, with questions about a USA Jackson I'm looking at

Hi folks, new member here. I'm looking at a local Jackson. I'm not yet familiar with all models, but it appears to be a Strat style, and has Made in USA on headstock. S S H, trem, sharkfins, looks like rosewood board, bolt on neck, binding on the neck and around the color matched headstock. It has the plastic chainsaw case. The neck looks dark, as if it were finished with stain.

It has a 4 digit SN beginning with 4 that appears to date it to '87 - '89. It's missing the trem bar and truss rod cover plate. The finish, neck and frets are all in great condition.
    What I’m wondering is: 1) how difficult and how expensive to find the truss cover plate and trem bar, and 2) what would the approximate value be?

Thanks in advance for any help ... also, would the plate be plain black, or have the model number on it?
    Last edited by Highway Star; 11-24-2018, 01:34 PM.

Pics would help a lot. I'm guessing old style (80's) DK1, when they were still HSS, not HH, and some had binding on the body. Model number would be non existent. Serial number. however, would be on the neck plate, where it should be.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
      I'm guessing old style (80's) DK1,
      The DK1 model designation didn't exist until 1996.

If it's 1987-89, it would be a one-off Dinky; USA production models such as the Soloist Custom, Rhoads Custom, etc., all of which were the predecessors to the current SL1/RR1/etc., didn't start until 1990, if I recall correctly.

Funny enough, the 1989 Jackson catalog (https://www.jacksonguitars.com/suppo...hived-catalogs) calls it a "Vintage Style" rather than a "Dinky".
      Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 11-24-2018, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
        The DK1 model designation didn't exist until 1996.
        Plus it didn't have rosewood or a colour matched head.
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Fretsonthenet.com can help you with the trussrod cover and back plate and possibly the trem arm too. From your description it could have either a kahler, a Jackson branded JT6, a Floyd or a Jackson branded Schaller Floyd.
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thanks folks. I finally got a pic loaded.

Yes, I ran onto the old catalog about the "vintage style", and maybe somewhere someone mentioned a Jackson Strat style.

I also read somewhere about the style of locking nut changed around that time period.

The trem is a floyd style, and has the Jackson logo on the top edge. I think it the JT6.

neilli, Thanks. It has the back plates, just missing the truss rod cover, and arm. Does anyone know if the cover should be plain black or have model no. on it?

Here's the pic. Metallic purrrrple. The edges seem more rounded than some models. More Strat like, but smaller body - I think.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

ooh that's pretty !

as others have said the spec of that guitar would have been put together by the customer , it's not an off the shelf production guitar , can't help you with the trem , but that isn't a JT-6 , which could mean either your guitar is later than 87-88 or the trem has been swapped out. Also check the headstock at the truss rod , it may never have had a cover as some people spec'ed them with out one (and if it did , it would be blank , there would be no model number on it)

Comment

OK so it's a Strat body after all, not a Dinky body. That's a fine looking guitar!

If you share a well-lit, close-up photo of the bridge, we might be able to identify it for you.

Comment

Thanks Gar, that's good info.

The purple Jackson does have a San Dimas plate, #45XX. I like it and may buy it after I narrow down a few more things about the actual value. I don’t really know the Jackson market yet, and haven’t found any similar comparable sales … and unsure about the trem arm replacement.

Seller said he got it in the early 90s from a guy who collected and custom ordered a lot of Jacksons. Seller thought it was ’85 when he looked it up a while ago.

The neck and frets feel great. The pickups sound great. Small hairline neck pocket finish cracks. Overall pretty nice.

Comment

Ahh, sorry, Number , I posted that before I saw your reply. I have a couple more photos, will post in a min.

Comment

Now that you reveal that partial serial number, I see what you mean about your original narrowing down the production year to 1987-89, since the serial number resource on the Jackson website (https://www.jacksonguitars.com/support/bolt-on) lists that range of years under one large span of serial numbers.

If you like it, I suppose it all depends on how much you are willing to pay, versus the seller's asking price. As for the Jackson market, for me, my personal rule of thumb is "any USA Jackson/Charvel under USD$1000 is worth further consideration", although my experience is mostly regarding production model guitars, not one-off specimens like the one you're pursuing.

Ask for a close-up photo of the bridge so we can identify it and advise a replacement trem arm.

Comment

pics from seller's phone, not the greatest. I don't know if you can tell anything from this blurry pic of the nut or not. Frets have very little wear.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Jackson-branded JT590 tremolo, made in Germany by Schaller. Info: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...ject.htm#jt590

It's almost as if the owner(s) seldom played the guitar, or really just treated it like a baby. The white Jackson logos on the pickups are still intact (the white tends to rub off). It looks like the trem has no corrosion. I don't doubt what you said about the finish, frets, and neck being in great shape. Damn fine specimen.
                          Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 11-25-2018, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks very much for your input. I like it too, and almost didn't even look at it when I heard purple.

Does the San Dimas plate mean much, or just indicate "custom shop"?
                            Last edited by Highway Star; 11-25-2018, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Priest, thanks again for your input. We were posting again at the same time, and I missed your comment about value. That does help, and for what the fellow is asking, I'll most likely pick it up.

Will update, and more pics to come if I get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X