Neck profile on modern Soloists...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck profile on modern Soloists...

I know, over time it's probably been asked a million times before but... I have a hankering for a Jackson again and probably a Soloist. I owned a very early model a few years ago and foolishly sold it (Black, Kahler probably J0258). I'd love to own an original again but if the neck profiles have remained consistent a newer model would probably be fine (and certainly cheaper!).

So has there been any variation in the neck profiles and overall thickness over time? Any years to watch out for or has the thickness remained pretty much the same. My Soloist was 1.67" nut, 0.75 at the 1st and 0.87 at the 12th.

I have a parts '82 Charvel with the classic EVH neck, I also own an early Jackson Tele (H/S/S Kahler) I had an original Jackson Strathead for a while too; so I'm familiar with the earlier stuff.

I do like the unfinished feel too, I'm not against getting an older bolt on Fusion of whatever...

Thanks for the insight and for those of you that celebrate it, Happy Thanksgiving.

They have varied over the years and still do. I have an 88 with a fairly big neck, but I have 2 others that are thin, and that variation seems to just be a bit of a crap shoot. Prices of SD soloists have dropped, so you wouldn't pay much more for one than another used USA Soloist..
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thanks for the reply, this is kind of what I figured. Knowing "most" SD era axes would fit that bill there's where I've focused. I went and played a a modern Soloist, Dinky, etc. and came away again learning that unfinished necks are more my thing. So if vintage and unfinished neck that leaves Jacksons with less bling (really next gen Charvels), modified Soloists or just post SD/early Ontario's axes. So I have a '91 Fusion on the way, should work out great for me. I do love the look and dare I say the better "construction" of the neck through Soloist, but if it doesn't play well and my lame a$$ playing then it's not of much use.

I still kick myself in the butt everyday for selling my early Soloist (that had the finished removed from the back of the neck); arrghh!

Comment

My thickest necked Jackson was a 2003 Basic Black SL2H Soloist. I loved it but like many other Jacksons I owned I sold them. Very dumb. The thinnest necks are on Fusions, very thin. I couldn`t get with that thin. Too bad as I love 24.75" scale guitars. I do however have a Japanese Jackson Fusion H-H with a trans red mahogany body. I want to sell it, but it`s my last Jackson and so hard to let go of. But that skinny neck....

Comment

If you got a hankering for a Soloist, I’m selling off my 1988 Soloist (J4607) in Red Pearl Bengal finish on the JCF Facebook Classifieds. PM me if interested!

Comment

Profiles, shapes and thickness are not consistent through production. There is a lot of variation. Everything from baseball bats to thin C shape. The thin D shape with the flat spot. There are probably 5 or 6 distinct shapes over the years... I forgot what the consensus was last time everyone tried to categorize everything. There's a thread here somewhere from like a dozen years ago or so.

Necks were hand shaped, Custom orders often had specific specs. I had an Custom Archtop that was .950 and J0379 had the super thin D profile with the flat spot. Speed neck has always been fairly consistent though. So has the thicker Rhoads/standard profile/whatever.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I realize I'm grave digging but, Drew, I still have #258; 15 years or so now plus the letter you sent with the guitar. :-)

Comment

Iv read that the necks on every soloist except the SL1 were changed a few years ago (about 2014ish maybe) to be stronger. does anyone have any real knowledge on this. I want a soloist after years of Ibanez but I'm told the neck wear out because of the neck through and don't last very many years making it difficult for me to spend the current 3000 American plus conversion delivery duties and 13% Canadian tax if this guitar dosent last for years. also what is the tone difference in the flamed sl2 verse the current stock black model (I believe black is the only colour there sold in no 2020) Also I honestly want the SL1 more than the SL2 but if the SL2 neck is supposed to be stronger ( if what iv read is true) and last longer I have to get the SL2 but SL1 is what I really want. Any comments on the durability of the SL1 verse SL2 or just opinions of how long each model actually works the way it should well taken care of. Iv heard they do not stay in tune after a while because of the neck through is this true, and if it is does it stay in tune if the Floyd Rose isn't used or does it just alway go out of tune with out the whammy. Im seriously interested in buying a USA Soloist but I don't know enough about them to spend the money with zero knowledge about them. Iv had many 550 570 Ibanez,s but made from basswood with no tone and way to wide necks and thin necks I need a real super strat that will last and deliver playability and tone. If anybody has any opinion with actual experience on this please let me know what you think. Thank you

Comment

I once read that Taylor Swift was better than Led Zeppelin. Therefore it must be true.

USA Jackson models, as a whole, have no problems, otherwise they would not be in business.
                  Floyd Rose tremolos, as a whole, have no problems, otherwise they would not be in business.

Comment

Working...
                  X