Any info on this Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kenbossart View Post
    So, are natural wood finish guitars built with specific, aesthetically-pleasing finished wood?
    What exactly does the active electronics do to the sound? how does it interact with passive pickups?
    That would make sense. Why waste the “pretty” woods when they will be hidden by paint?

I have a mahogany natural oiled Soloist and the wood is immaculate.

Comment

BTW, is this Jackson most likely an alder body??
      Probably poplar, but could be alder. Might possibly be something else like basswood.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

*bump*
        any more info out there, especially the type of wood?
        Also, I still have the original Jackson bridge pup? Is it any good, or should I go with a Warpigs or JB or something?
        Last edited by kenbossart; 02-12-2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

As for identifying the wood, the best bet would be to disassemble the neck from the body and looking at the bare wood in the neck pocket. Take a photo and share it here so we can make better guesses. All of toejam's guesses (alder, poplar, and basswood) would have been common choices.

Open up the rear cavity and check for any unpainted wood spots too. Share photos here.

Try the original Jackson pickup and see if you like it. If not, try another. To me, it sounds like you've been given suggestions to restore the guitar back to its original state, so I'd want to see the original paint and hear the original pickup. But, it's your guitar, so it's up to you. Even if you don't use it in this guitar, I would recommend keeping it, in case you ever sell the guitar. If I am not mistaken, these Jackson pickups were made in USA. The legend says Abigail Ybarra wound some of them.

Comment

why not keep the mess of a paint job and clear coat it so that it looks more professional.
            as long as the top coat is smooth, any uneven layers underneath that show can be explained as a "3D" effet.

and where was i in 2017 that i didn't comment on this?

Also, I still have the original Jackson bridge pup? Is it any good, or should I go with a Warpigs or JB or something?
            pickups are pickups. put in whatever you want.
            hell, if the Variax technology was sold as a standalone, I would put that in a few of my guitars.

Comment

[QUOTE=pianoguyy;n2538411]why not keep the mess of a paint job and clear coat it so that it looks more professional.
              as long as the top coat is smooth, any uneven layers underneath that show can be explained as a "3D" effet.

and where was i in 2017 that i didn't comment on this?

lol.

the acrylic paint is definitely not smooth....bumpy, raised, and rough

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                As for identifying the wood, the best bet would be to disassemble the neck from the body and looking at the bare wood in the neck pocket. Take a photo and share it here so we can make better guesses. All of toejam's guesses (alder, poplar, and basswood) would have been common choices.

Open up the rear cavity and check for any unpainted wood spots too. Share photos here.

Try the original Jackson pickup and see if you like it. If not, try another. To me, it sounds like you've been given suggestions to restore the guitar back to its original state, so I'd want to see the original paint and hear the original pickup. But, it's your guitar, so it's up to you. Even if you don't use it in this guitar, I would recommend keeping it, in case you ever sell the guitar. If I am not mistaken, these Jackson pickups were made in USA. The legend says Abigail Ybarra wound some of them.
                ok, thanks for suggestions on wood identification.
                I owned/played it as original. Hated the pink (still do) and the pup was just ok, which is why I installed the Invader. Once I determine wood, I'll have better sense of pup replacement.

Comment

but a top coat - which would be a clear gloss done by a professional - would be smooth
                  or, at least, that was the point I was trying to make

Comment

crumbsuckers were great. both life of dreams and b.o.m.b.

statistically speaking, it's probably poplar or alder. as already stated, if you take a picture of the inside neck pocket that should narrow it down. alder would probably look better with a natural finish due to the likelihood of green streaking in poplar, but neither would look terrible unless you unluckily got really terrible piece of wood.

if you really hate the original finish, but it's still in good condition, it might make sense to sell it off to someone who would appreciate the pink, and get something else. wink wink!
                    Last edited by metalhobo; 02-15-2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                      crumbsuckers were great. both life of dreams and b.o.m.b.

statistically speaking, it's probably poplar or alder. as already stated, if you take a picture of the inside neck pocket that should narrow it down. alder would probably look better with a natural finish due to the likelihood of green streaking in poplar, but neither would look terrible unless you unluckily got really terrible piece of wood.

if you really hate the original finish, but it's still in good condition, it might make sense to sell it off to someone who would appreciate the pink, and get something else. wink wink!
                      hmmmm....i wonder to whom....and what it would fetch....

Comment

Depends on your market.
                        Probably won't find much interest in a pink (or puke) Strat in a place like Grand Island Nebraska, where Craigslist has 16 instruments for sale. But I would buy it in a heartbeat for "pawn shop" pricing if you were local to me.

Comment

Working...
                        X