Any info on this Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any info on this Jackson?

Hey all. I'm new to the site and forum. I've had a Jackson strat since the late 80s. I bought it used off a guy on a local band -The Crumbsuckers- and painted some acrylic to cover the pink bubblegum paint. Neckplate says Sam Dimas, serial # is 2396. I checked the Jackson serial number site and seems like it was made in Ontario? Any info would be greatly appreciated, along with a general idea of value. I swapped out the original active pup for a SD Invader. I still have the original. Thanks!

Yup, that's a '87-'89 era Ontario built Jackson custom strat. Nice guitars, great value. They don't command a huge premium.. usually < $1000 even mint. But still great guitars.

Comment

See if you can Bring the original finish back. Looks like crap the way it is. Shame, Shame!
      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Replied below...
        Last edited by kenbossart; 07-07-2017, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
          See if you can Bring the original finish back. Looks like crap the way it is. Shame, Shame!
          Shame shame shame...lol
          But to a 17 year-old in 1987 that pink was awful...the acrylic paint hid it, somewhat...

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
            Yup, that's a '87-'89 era Ontario built Jackson custom strat. Nice guitars, great value. They don't command a huge premium.. usually < $1000 even mint. But still great guitars.
            Custom strat, as in 'Custom Shop'? And the plate says Sam Dimas, but that was common because they had leftover when they moved?
            Thanks for reply!

Comment

kinda ..custom shop..all guitars from that era were built to order so technically custom built as you could specify what you wanted ( as apposed to now where they have standard production models like DK-1 , RR etc)

Yup spot on with the plates, they were used up and not in any kind of sequential order, (my Strat has plate 4393 and is a late 86/early 87)

Comment

Nice. Try to restore it back to the original color. BTW, the Jackson pickups are not active, they only made passive pickups that could be used with some of their active electronics. It would have either had a mid boost, wah filter, or preamp gain boost.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Nice. Try to restore it back to the original color. BTW, the Jackson pickups are not active, they only made passive pickups that could be used with some of their active electronics. It would have either had a mid boost, wah filter, or preamp gain boost.
                  Hmmm...it had the 9-volt batt, so prob the mid boost or preamp gain? Interesting. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
                    No doubt. I'd take the factory pink (Burgundy Mist?) any day over the monstrosity that it is now. It looks like a unicorn took a rainbow shit on it.

Comment

Yes the 9volt powered the active preamp. Pickups themselves were passive though.

Comment

acrylic paint should be able to be removed pretty easily. platinum pink, very cool & like other have said 87-89, if you take the neck off there should be build dates on the heal & pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                          acrylic paint should be able to be removed pretty easily. platinum pink, very cool & like other have said 87-89, if you take the neck off there should be build dates on the heal & pocket.
                          There's some pencil marks in tremelo spring compartment that says 1980??

Comment

You should be able to remove that paint and the factory paint underneath should be fine. It would be worth much more with the original paint.

Comment

And just the other day the whammy bar snapped off!! But left the base in there! Any ideas how to remove?? Looks like I might get at it from underneath...theres a screw??

Comment

Working...
                              X