First post 80's vs 2010's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post 80's vs 2010's

Hi all. Diehard Jackson USA player here. I own a 2013 KE2 and 2016 King V (alder) I also reacquired my '87 RR1 and '88 Kelly. Long (but good) stories on those. My question is I am almost certain the late 80's guitars were either poplar or maple? Both have some weight to them and yet 'darker' in tone than the new ones. My 87' RR once set up I had EMG 57/66 installed and it's killer! The King V DiMarzio Deactivators, which just crushes. Now the new KE-2 has stock Duncans that I don't hate but dont love. The 88 Kelly has EMG 81's and I think it's rather dull and compressed sounding. If the woods are in fact maple or poplar, suggestions on replacement pups? To keep this from becoming a 'debate' I would like to stick with DiMarzio for passive pups please. Thinking if I have two guitars with active and the other two passive I'm solid. Thoughts? My set up is 6505+ with matching 4x12, high gain modern metal/shred, tuned to D standard and Line 6 500X w/ EVH 2x12 as secondary/backup rig. Thanks everyone!

Yeah, poplar is a good bet as they used it lots back then. Can't help you on the Dimarzios though..
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

If you like high output pickups, the Tone Zone is great for bridge. Lower output, I've had good results with the Mo'Jo. I like PAF style pickups in the neck, e.g. PAF pro.

Comment

I've got a Tone Zone in a Mahogany Iceman and love the snarl it has. Full, but not at all muddy.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Can't ever go wrong with a Super Distortion. Also love the X2N.
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

How about Evolutions or the less output Evo 2?

Comment

Super Distortion is my favorite passive pickup of all time. I just love it's very old school growl. It also does drop and lower tunings absolutely amazing. If I were to start a doom/sludge band, I'd definitely be using the Super Distortion.

If your guitar is already equipped by EMGs, try the 85 in the bridge, it's my favorite, and if you don't like the compression, add a 2nd 9v. Running the EMGs in 18v gives you more headroom.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

another vote for the Tonezone here. Great pickup.

I also really like the Dominion. Put a bridge/neck set in a swamp ash Jackson
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                  Super Distortion is my favorite passive pickup of all time. I just love it's very old school growl. It also does drop and lower tunings absolutely amazing. If I were to start a doom/sludge band, I'd definitely be using the Super Distortion.

If your guitar is already equipped by EMGs, try the 85 in the bridge, it's my favorite, and if you don't like the compression, add a 2nd 9v. Running the EMGs in 18v gives you more headroom.
                  Are you familiar with - can you do a quick compare of any of the following? I never had a chance to compare in the same guitar:

SD vs X2N
                  SD vs Super 3
                  SD vs CrunchLab

I have a Super 3 in a Mahogany body PC1
                  a Crunch Lab in a masterbuilt maple archtop, korina body
                  an X2N in a mahogany body custom shop Dinky, bolt on

but... haven't tried a SD yet... is it true it doesn't clean up well at all?
                  This may help the OP as I was going to recommend Super 3, X2N, or CrunchLab as I think all 3 are 'very good' and better than having a JB in every Jackson you own.
                  (Yes I see he has EMGs too, but he is asking about passives)

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jeff9beck View Post
                    can you do a quick compare of any of the following?

SD vs Super 3
                    I can shed some light on that one

I'd say both are about equal in output and midrange, but the Super 3 has a tighter lower end and a little topped off highs, the Super 3's EQ makes for a pretty tight pickup
                    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by jeff9beck View Post
                      SD vs X2N
                      X2N, kinda like a higher output JB with a bit more sparkle? The Super Distortion is more scooped. D'Activators are a little less scooped. The SD actually tightens up with lower tunings. It's a really brutal pickup. One of the few Seymour Duncan pickups I actually like is the SH-5.

FWIW, I absolutely hate the JB, don't like the X2N but only had one for a short while, also don't like Invaders.

FWIW, I like pickups that can do both solo and rhythm on the same channel... more into tech/brutal death tones or doom/Carcass type tones that are tight and don't bloom or nasal much... rather than 90's glam / solo slower chugga power cord progression metal music which the JB, various Customs, x2n and other pickups are excellent for.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thanks everyone! It's looking like Tone Zone bridge and Air Norton neck for the win.

Comment

I've got an Evo 2/PAF Pro combo in my Kelly...

I like them.

Comment

Dimarzio PAF (sticker one) in Neck, dimarzio double whammy in bridge. If you find these and install them you will have quite the combo. I did this to a RR recently and its quite a different guitar now. Bridge is position is just a monster with punch, neck is creamy and clear.

Found the combo for ya:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-DiMa...0AAOSwFdtXzZFJ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DiMarzio-F-s...oAAOSwGIRXYW~D
                            Last edited by AAEA; 10-13-2016, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X